Lumia 1520 phantom touch solution.

reimon123

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
i faced this problem two weeks ago so i decided to open my phone.
the solution is to cover the IC and resistors or capacitors of the touch screen with electrical tape to prevent those components from contacting/grounding the metal shield of the motherboard.
20160120_190435.jpg

youtube for disassembly guide.

i cant open my old acc.
reimon23

Last edited:

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
i faced this problem two weeks ago so i decided to open my phone.
the solution is to cover the IC and resistors or capacitors of the touch screen with electrical tape to prevent those components from contacting/grounding the metal shield of the motherboard.
View attachment 120809

youtube for disassembly guide.

i cant open my old acc.
reimon23

Now this makes lots of sense!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting you post this. I opened my 1520 for the first time recently to replace a faulty/failing battery. Now I'm looking at your pic and I want to ask what phone is this? It looks really different than mine does.

IMG_0311.JPG

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
its the same phone, you need to remove the motherboard to get to it.

Side note: where did you get the new battery - Does it charge up to 100% ? It's been made very recently according to the date stamped on it. Lots of people been getting replacement batteries that only charge up to about 83%. Would like to know where to go when I finally replace mine.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
]
Now this makes lots of sense!

(Insulating the exposed circuitry under the motherboard)

Not to me. If it were necessary to insulate that area, Nokia would have done it, wouldn't they? More specifically, it doesn't seem possible for the two bits of circuitry to touch, when I take a close look at mine.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
]

Not to me. If it were necessary to insulate that area, Nokia would have done it, wouldn't they? More specifically, it doesn't seem possible for the two bits of circuitry to touch, when I take a close look at mine.

You would think, but things always get overlooked. I don't know what causes the phantom touch issue, in fact my 1520 doesn't even have it (so far) but that looks like a very likely source. If my phone does develop that issue, putting a piece of electrical tape over that area will be the first thing I try. It just makes the most sense to me.

reimon123

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
In my exprience of cellphone repairing from the time of nokia 3310,Phone manufacturer doesnt know what will be the problem of the phone they released after a week a months or years they will know that from the costumers complain.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Steve - any thoughts on what causes this issue?

I'm sorry, gordonfink, I haven't at the moment. I was an electronics bench technician in a previous decade, and am reasonably familiar and comfortable with devices like this, so I am happy to dive in to a problem and chase it down. Unfortunately(?) my phone doesn't have the issue, so I've not looked into it.

The one thing I wonder about is if some kind of electrostatic charge is building up on or near the digitiser, which would imply a grounding issue of some sort. But I'm afraid this is sheer speculation on my part.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I have seen some of you other posts in regards to the micro-electronics, so I respect your opinion, which is why I was curious if you'd had a chance to loo at it.

Maybe we'll figure this out while these things still have some life in them. :wink:

At least now, replacement screen costs have come down to a point where that is less prohibitive than it used to be.

I'm sorry, gordonfink, I haven't at the moment. I was an electronics bench technician in a previous decade, and am reasonably familiar and comfortable with devices like this, so I am happy to dive in to a problem and chase it down. Unfortunately(?) my phone doesn't have the issue, so I've not looked into it.

The one thing I wonder about is if some kind of electrostatic charge is building up on or near the digitiser, which would imply a grounding issue of some sort. But I'm afraid this is sheer speculation on my part.

Steve Thackery

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
Nice! Do you know of a vendor that sells quality screen/digitizer/frame combos?

I realise this is probably of no use to you if you aren't in the UK, but I've just bought and fitted a new screen to my 1520, and I got it from here:

LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer + Frame For Nokia Lumia 1520 Black UK | eBay

It is perfect: no blotches, scratches, light leakage round the edge, no phantom touch. I should emphasise that I've only bought one from this seller, so of course I can't make any guarantees.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Nice! Do you know of a vendor that sells quality screen/digitizer/frame combos?

To be honest, I usually get them etradesupply. Some folks have bad luck with them. Mine has mostly been good, though, on occasion, the sides aren't sealed down all the way.

The key is the Synaptics chip. I am going to look around some more, because it is a real bother to return a screen that isn't all the sealed on the side. Usually if that happens, I accept a partial credit, and sell it for less.

If I find someone useful, I'll let you know.

VSparxx

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi..very glad I found this thread, as on occasions my 1520 gets those darn ghost touches too, I disassembled it and took a close look at the screen assembly and noticed some interesting bits, I see that on your screen there are some white squares and rectangular zone with rubberized look on the top left from the zone you insulated, i'm quite wondering if those are insulation zones too, as there are pins on the motherboard that make contact with these zones, and on my device it seems all these zones are erased where the pin is touching it.
Now this could be a potential grounding problem...as the pins on MB are transferring some charge to the screen frame, but I really don't know if those white squares are insulation points in the first place, as this raises another question, why would Nokia put pins on the MB that will touch there if it would want those points to be insulated.
But then again on your device I see those points are intact, I mean no pin has made it's way through this white thing to touch the alloy display frame.
20160120_190435.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte