How is Latest Windows 10 build on 1520?

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi all

Just come back to WIndows after a short break on an LG G4.. which had a nice camera, but I do prefer Windows phone :)

Ive read both great and terrible reports on Windows 10 builds.

I have read that its close to release, so, what is the current build like on the 1520... Is it stable, whats battery life like, is there any improment in the camera image processing at all, is it stable enough to use as my daily driver?

Any help and advice and your experiences would be appreriated.

Thanks

Last edited:

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
The current build is a bit of a mixed bag.

Messaging app occasionally still shows resuming screens when opening a message from a notification.

The battery life is actually quite good. With glance always on my phone will lose 1% per hr and about 1% every 2-3 hours with glance off.
Apps seem to run just fine on windows 10, although frame rates don't feel quite as high in games.

The camera quality seems to be just as good as on 8.1, however the software tends to **** the bed...
I've taken pictures and had it say adding the finishing touches for hours. When that process is finally killed by restarting or something, the picture will not have rich capture options or living images, and sometimes can't be zoomed in. I have no idea how to make this work consistently and it's infuriating sometimes.

Groove, however, is a HUGE improvement over Xbox Music in 8.1, and actually scales properly to a giant 6" screen.

Overall I say NO-GO. Windows 10 still needs a lot of work. In 6 months it might be ready for primetime, but it's clearly still way too early in development.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I've been using W10M as a daily driver on my 1520 for weeks now (across several builds). Genereally it works good but it has its hickups occasinally. Apps start slow at times (mostly messaging and WhatsApp). I had one random reboot and that's on the last .63 build. So definitely daily driver material in the sense that it works but it has many minor bugs that can make you irritated at times so be prepared for that. I get two days use with my phone and that is with moderate use so battery life is definitely good but might not be on par with 8.1.

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I dont know where the "THANKS" buttons have gone... but thank you anyways :)...

Hmm.. Ill give it some thought.. as I take candid photography (situations & moments) i do use the camera on the go alot because its so good, so thats not a great issue for me.. I dont use WhatsApp, but I do alot of messaging. My phone is used for media..

I have read around abit, but some reports are months old... I do know theres always the Nokia recovery tool.. if it gets that bad.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
The punch line: After using Insider builds for months on my 1520.3, I picked up a FIRMWARE upgrade when I rolled back to Windows 8.1. So, consider that.

The long tale: I'd had Insider builds on my 1520.3 for months. It was generally a good experience, but on my device, five Microsoft apps didn't work: Glance, Motion, Motion Data, Hey Cortana, Gadgets, maybe a couple more. It seemed these problems were a bit rare, and some guys in WIndows Central suggested I roll-back to Windows 8.1. So with the W10M imminent (ha!), last week I rolled back from build 10586.63 to Windows 8.1 for fear any problems I had accumulated in the various builds might be stuck (no one told me that, I just dreamed it up, but I decided I'd better take action before my path back to Windows 8.1 was possibly blocked).

Anyway, during the rollback process (with Windows Device Recovery Tool on my PC), I picked up a firmware update. I didn't expect that, so happy. But it was a bit disconcerting to learn Insider somehow blocks firmware updates.

In the end, I'm going to sit at 8.1 until W10M is released outside of Insider program. For that matter, even after it's released, I'm going to watch and learn before I upgrade. I like Microsoft and enjoyed testing builds, but it gets frustrating. Beside, I've rediscovered the pleasures of 8.1.

One last thing: Has anyone else had trouble with the Microsoft apps I mentioned above: Motion Data, Motion, etc.?

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, during the rollback process (with Windows Device Recovery Tool on my PC), I picked up a firmware update. I didn't expect that, so happy. But it was a bit disconcerting to learn Insider somehow blocks firmware updates.

Where are you getting that? I've received all of my firmware updates except one on my 928 while on Insiders, but that was more due to having to rollback due to an upgrade issue and the firmware being released at the same time. Is there known issues with Win10 on 1520.3? Or are your issues one offs?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Where are you getting that? I've received all of my firmware updates except one on my 928 while on Insiders, but that was more due to having to rollback due to an upgrade issue and the firmware being released at the same time. Is there known issues with Win10 on 1520.3? Or are your issues one offs?

Short answer is I don't know if my issues are one offs. (I wondered if it was because I was on a .3, as in Lumia 1520.3.) It appeared that no one on Windows Central had them, at least from those who replied to my posts (that's where a couple of people suggested I roll back). On the other hand, on the Windows Feedback site, a fair number people complained, but certainly not a huge amount. Of course, I don't know which devices they are referring to, and people don't often leave details.

So anyway, I played it safe and feel lucky I did it.

Last edited:

The_Greys

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Eric, Had the same problems with the Here apps AND could not connect to any computer with a USB cable. was able to use recover tool by plugging it in and doing a soft reset which somehow got the attention of the software. Sticking to 8.1 for now.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I loaded Windows 10 to my 1520 as soon as it arrived yesterday. It has been working without issues so far. I've had it on my 928 and Icon too. I love it and would hate to go back. If I ever have issues with a build, I always reset it which tends to fix most of the problems not baked into the build. Because I backup consistently, I don't worry about losing anything when I have to restore.

Sunstorming

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Did anyone ever figure out how to get the 5 stuck apps that error out to update... Hey Cortana, Motion Data, call+sms, etc.? I am on an At&t Lumia 1520

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Did anyone ever figure out how to get the 5 stuck apps that error out to update... Hey Cortana, Motion Data, call+sms, etc.? I am on an At&t Lumia 1520

I haven't tried build .71 yet, but in the build before that those would update just fine. Microsoft pushed updates to those apps that fixed the issues letting them install.

enthuz

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
360 is working. I'm starting to learn how to use it after it was suggested to do so in another thread. BTW I'm on the very latest fast ring build.

oelapoel

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
can somebody confirm that autobrightness feature has been fixed on this latest build .71? It wasnt working 2 builds ago.

I am back on 8.1 and that seems to be the only thing why I am avoiding 10 mobile. I figured it was due to firmware which wouldnt be upgraded until official w10m update available...

I just hate to set brightness manually.. thnx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo