How is Latest Windows 10 build on 1520?

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
WhatsApp kills the battery pretty fast. I bet most of messaging apps aren't improved for W10 yet.

You would think messaging would be high on they're priority list to fix... Between the high battery drain Messaging/Skype produces and the lock screen glitches when trying to go from a incoming text to messages its 2 of the biggest issues keeping me from leaving 8.1..

Skinshifter

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
You would think messaging would be high on they're priority list to fix... Between the high battery drain Messaging/Skype produces and the lock screen glitches when trying to go from a incoming text to messages its 2 of the biggest issues keeping me from leaving 8.1..

Also, WhatsApp appears to have a bug with notifications. if someone sends you several messages in a row, the notifications sound delays and keeps playing for every message even if you have received all the messages already and have the chat opened. Checking battery settings I list the killer apps and drainers:

WhatsApp :
Messaging/Skype
Lock Screen

Where underground usage is damn high.

I think I will go back to WP8.1.

heywhitmarsh

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you take a picture and click the little circle of the picture to view it full screen it will never finish processing changes and you'll only get a 2 megapixel image out of it.

MOST FRUSTRATING THING EVER! I just want to take a dang picture.

I took like 15 pictures while on 10586.71 and only 1 of them managed saving the full res picture.

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The punch line: After using Insider builds for months on my 1520.3, I picked up a FIRMWARE upgrade when I rolled back to Windows 8.1. So, consider that.

The long tale: I'd had Insider builds on my 1520.3 for months. It was generally a good experience, but on my device, five Microsoft apps didn't work: Glance, Motion, Motion Data, Hey Cortana, Gadgets, maybe a couple more. It seemed these problems were a bit rare, and some guys in WIndows Central suggested I roll-back to Windows 8.1. So with the W10M imminent (ha!), last week I rolled back from build 10586.63 to Windows 8.1 for fear any problems I had accumulated in the various builds might be stuck (no one told me that, I just dreamed it up, but I decided I'd better take action before my path back to Windows 8.1 was possibly blocked).

Anyway, during the rollback process (with Windows Device Recovery Tool on my PC), I picked up a firmware update. I didn't expect that, so happy. But it was a bit disconcerting to learn Insider somehow blocks firmware updates.

In the end, I'm going to sit at 8.1 until W10M is released outside of Insider program. For that matter, even after it's released, I'm going to watch and learn before I upgrade. I like Microsoft and enjoyed testing builds, but it gets frustrating. Beside, I've rediscovered the pleasures of 8.1.

One last thing: Has anyone else had trouble with the Microsoft apps I mentioned above: Motion Data, Motion, etc.?

Yeah I don't have those Microsoft apps either. "Glance, Motion, Motion Data, Hey Cortana, Gadgets" I think I need to rollback to 8.1 but I'm unable too bc my laptop doesn't read my phone when plugged in.

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
You don't have to roll back. They take a little bit of time to populate the extras list when the phone boots up for the first time in Windows 10. If it's not there after like 20 minutes once all the updates are complete, then there might be a problem

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to roll back. They take a little bit of time to populate the extras list when the phone boots up for the first time in Windows 10. If it's not there after like 20 minutes once all the updates are complete, then there might be a problem

Yeah this is weeks after the update, I've just been surviving without the extra features... Just wish I had them.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I don't have those Microsoft apps either. "Glance, Motion, Motion Data, Hey Cortana, Gadgets" I think I need to rollback to 8.1 but I'm unable too bc my laptop doesn't read my phone when plugged in.

No need to rollback to 8.1; open up Microsoft Store app/menu/my library/apps and you'll find "Glance, Motion, Motion Data, Hey Cortana, Gadgets"

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
No need to rollback to 8.1; open up Microsoft Store app/menu/my library/apps and you'll find "Glance, Motion, Motion Data, Hey Cortana, Gadgets"

Awesome find, but they still don't work Smh. When I click on Hey Cortana... It says "This feature is not available for your phone" and when I click on Glance... It briefly show a menu with options and then the screen goes black.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked AT&T 1520 (RM-940) so this may explain it if not working for you. In the case youre using different product code (Iike RM-937, 938 etc) resetting or even rolling back to 8.1 then updating to 10 may resolve it.

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm using an unlocked AT&T 1520 (RM-940) so this may explain it if not working for you. In the case youre using different product code (Iike RM-937, 938 etc) resetting or even rolling back to 8.1 then updating to 10 may resolve it.

I've hard reset many times. I think the only solution is to roll back to 8.1 then updating to 10. However my windows 10 laptop does not read my phone when plugging it in.

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
After several hard reset my battery still drained like a SOB. Got tired f***** around. I've been with windows phone since W7) enough is enough. I switched to Galaxy S6 Edge Plus. Absolutely love it. When ever Surface Phone is available I will return.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I've hard reset many times. I think the only solution is to roll back to 8.1 then updating to 10. However my windows 10 laptop does not read my phone when plugging it in.

For what it is worth, as i posted earlier, when I rolled back my 1520.3 (938) from something like .63 to 8.1, I picked up a firmware upgrade. When .107 came out, I rejoined Insider and downloaded it. All smooth and easy.

Last edited:

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
For what it is worth, as i posted earlier, when I rolled back my 1520.3 (938) from something like .63 to 8.1, I picked up a firmware upgrade. When .107 came out, I rejoined Insider and downloaded it. All smooth and easy.

I finally got it to work!!! I had to plug it into the laptop, soft reset... It would read the phone for a little bit, long enough to read what phone and what firmware to download. It took a while to download the firmware so by the time it was done, my phone already booted all the way to normal state Aka laptop didn't read it again. However, once the download finished, I backed out the recovery tool to the beginning and followed the same steps (soft reset) and it worked!! It took me back to 8.1, I restored my backup, let all apps download then used windows insider to upgrade to the latest WM10. Now I have glance and hey Cortana again! Also I noticed my automatic adjust brightness is working again.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I finally got it to work!!! I had to plug it into the laptop, soft reset... It would read the phone for a little bit, long enough to read what phone and what firmware to download. It took a while to download the firmware so by the time it was done, my phone already booted all the way to normal state Aka laptop didn't read it again. However, once the download finished, I backed out the recovery tool to the beginning and followed the same steps (soft reset) and it worked!! It took me back to 8.1, I restored my backup, let all apps download then used windows insider to upgrade to the latest WM10. Now I have glance and hey Cortana again! Also I noticed my automatic adjust brightness is working again.

Wow! That's great. You got the firmware update and upgraded to .107. Glad its working well for you.

Mignoon

May 28, 2014
Visit site

I have the same problem with my 930.
When I soft reset, the usb connection works for about 5 seconds, but the recovery tool doesn't notice my phone.
How long did the USB connection work for you?
Any other tips for setting up the recovery tool or something like that?

banjaboo

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem with my 930.
When I soft reset, the usb connection works for about 5 seconds, but the recovery tool doesn't notice my phone.
How long did the USB connection work for you?
Any other tips for setting up the recovery tool or something like that?
I did restart my laptop first, not sure if that did anything or not. When I plugged it in, it didn't recognize my phone. Thats when it told me to soft reset it (power and volume down) after that I think it still said "device wasn't recognized" however it listed options of phone brands to select. I selected my device brand "Lumia". Did you see any of these steps?

Mignoon

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I did restart my laptop first, not sure if that did anything or not. When I plugged it in, it didn't recognize my phone. Thats when it told me to soft reset it (power and volume down) after that I think it still said "device wasn't recognized" however it listed options of phone brands to select. I selected my device brand "Lumia". Did you see any of these steps?

Not exactly.
When I plug in my phone nothing happens.
When I then soft reset it, there is a message on the PC that something is not right with the connection, and after ~5 seconds it dissappears again.
The recovery tool doesn't really do anything at the moment. I can choose Lumia as device brand if I click on "My device was not detecetd". After that, it's waiting for a connection, so I then do a soft reset. A few seconds later, the recovery tool says that no device was found and I should soft reset it to try again.

Joel Gaviola

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
Battery life with the new build is kinda meh. Took me a while to fix sync between Skype + messaging.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss