My 1520 suddenly developed a host of issues, wouldn't charge, button lights went out, a few other things I can't remember. I took it to a local repair guy and he said someone had damaged a connector at some point and it was not repairable. I had taken it somewhere for a battery replacement some months earlier so I suppose it's possible, particularly as the guy that did it seemed sketchy.

He gave me this picture of the damaged connector and it does look kind of hopeless. I just wondered if anyone had any ideas before I trash it. I have a lot of music, pics and a few other bits and pieces on it that I would like to have but I don't have a way to get them because the battery is almost dead and the USB port doesn't work. Thanks.

v__23fc.jpg
    01-27-2016 08:05 PM
    The right shop specializing in that type of repair could probably fix it. For instance look at this guy:

Looking online you can get a motherboard cheap: Nokia Lumia 1520 Motherboard - Some Housing Included - Parts and Repair .So even if you can't save data from old phone, you can still swap out the mainboard for a working one without breaking the bank.
    01-27-2016 09:38 PM
    That connector is the usb port. It's not clear from the pic just how damaged it is and if it can be fixed.

Assuming that connector is irreparable (which I can't tell from the pic) , you could certainly plug in a new battery, back everything up to OneDrive (music and pics), then do a full backup of your phone. After that, you could replace the motherboard and restore, and be good as new.

The question for you would be would you want to DIY that, or would you trust someone to do it for you. I may be able to help you either way - pm me if interested.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    01-28-2016 04:12 AM
    Yeah, or just get a replacement motherboard and use the new board to charge the battery. Then swap the bad motherboard to the charged battery. Other than onedrive you can probably also insert an SD card and transfer everything to the card.
    01-28-2016 05:12 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the ebay link when I'm not at work (it's blocked here). I wouldn't mind getting the 1520 working again, it's a better phone than the 640 I'm currently using.

I was thinking maybe I could copy everything to an SD card rather than OneDrive. I think there are file manager apps that can do that, not sure. I just need enough battery time to get it done, then I could get the motherboard swapped. I probably wouldn't do it myself as I usually mess that kind of thing up, too many screws left over and such. Any idea how the speed is copying from the phone to an SD card? I appreciate the offer to take a look, I might take you up on that.
    01-28-2016 05:23 PM
    Yeah, or just get a replacement motherboard and use the new board to charge the battery. Then swap the bad motherboard to the charged battery. Other than onedrive you can probably also insert an SD card and transfer everything to the card.
    Hey thanks, your post wasn't there when I was typing mine. When you transfer to an SD card is it slow? Just wondering how long it would take to copy around 6-7GB.
    01-28-2016 05:56 PM
    It is a little slow to copy that much to the SD card, but it's doable.
    01-28-2016 07:29 PM