Why isn't my Nokia Lumia 1520 being recognized by Windows 10 PC?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Nokia Lumia 1520 not recognized by Windows 10 PC

AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520.2 (RM 940) not recognized by PC at all.

These are some details to help others better answer the question if possible:

There is no SD card inserted in the phone.
When phone is plugged in to PC, slow charging notification pops up.
No new hardware "ding" sound.
No new devices in device manager.
No devices with exclamation mark in device manager.
No unknown or unrecognized devices in device manager.
Used provided USB cable and two other cables.
Used several USB ports back and front, 2.0 and 3.0.

Desktop PC is running Windows 10 Pro v1511 (Build 10586.164) (Windows Media Player, .NET 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 4.6 are installed).
Phone is running Windows 10 v1511 (Build 10.0.10586.107; Firmware: 02540.00019.14484.37028).

The ONLY time my phone is ever recognized as a device is when I restart it when plugged in either as soft reset or as regular restart. Shows up as LumiaBootMgr or something under USB devices in device manager for a while before it boots up completely. After the phone completes booting, the computer makes the sound when a device is disconnected and again, the phone is not detected at all.

I installed Windows Device Recovery Tool and it only recognizes the phone when it is reset as explained above before phone finishes booting, then it stops being detected, like nothing has been plugged in to the computer. I was afraid to do the "Install Software" from the Windows Device Recovery Tool because if the phone disconnects half way through I don't want to end up with an expensive brick.

I tried the same steps on a laptop also running Windows 10 and the same problem happens. I played with phone settings under USB and Developer, but nothing happened either. I removed SIM card and still nothing.

My computers and cables are fine. Android and Apple devices and other USB devices connect to these computers using these cables without any problem.

I did a hard reset and nothing got fixed.

I am posting this question in a new thread because others have had similar problem, but no answer was given.

I really need this desktop PC to recognize the phone to be able to transfer files and use as developer! Please, help.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 1520 not recognized by Windows 10 PC

Desktop PC is running Windows 10 Pro v1511 (Build 10586.164) (Windows Media Player, .NET 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 and 4.6 are installed).
Phone is running Windows 10 v1511 (Build 10.0.10586.107; Firmware: 02540.00019.14484.37028).

The ONLY time my phone is ever recognized as a device is when I restart it when plugged in either as soft reset or as regular restart. Shows up as LumiaBootMgr or something under USB devices in device manager for a while before it boots up completely. After the phone completes booting, the computer makes the sound when a device is disconnected and again, the phone is not detected at all.

I installed Windows Device Recovery Tool and it only recognizes the phone when it is reset as explained above before phone finishes booting, then it stops being detected, like nothing has been plugged in to the computer. I was afraid to do the "Install Software" from the Windows Device Recovery Tool because if the phone disconnects half way through I don't want to end up with an expensive brick.

I tried the same steps on a laptop also running Windows 10 and the same problem happens. I played with phone settings under USB and Developer, but nothing happened either. I removed SIM card and still nothing.

My computers and cables are fine. Android and Apple devices and other USB devices connect to these computers using these cables without any problem.

I am posting this question in a new thread because others have had similar problem, but no answer was given.

I really need this desktop PC to recognize the phone to be able to transfer files and use as developer! Please, help.

Only suggestion I can give at the moment is to go to slow ring and update to 10586.164. Maybe that could solve the issue. I'm assuming you're on insider program

Slobodan Gogic

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site

Welcome to the club. Luckily I have managed to revert my phone to 8.1 after seeing that "release" didn't fixed the issue. It will stay on 8.1 for at least one iteration of updates if any since I cannot be bothered to do all that stuff again.
Mind you that you will have to take different steps if you want to pre-download firmware, since you have RM-940, while I am on RM-937
So here it is, full guide (since nobody even on XDA gave any clues what the hell is going on...)
forum.xda-developers.com/windows-phone-8/help/guide-how-to-downgrade-corrupted-wp10-t3339465

P.S.
Sorry, post count don't allow me to post URL's...

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site

My first take would be to replace the cable.
But, you stipulated to cable (see Blue)
How could you use the (supplied) cable for an apple device?

Slobodan Gogic

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site

See my reply. Its not the cables, drivers, or HW issue. It is some version of Tech Preview that broke it. There is link to XDA forum, where I have explained it how to revert back to 8.1.
Friend of mine also had the issue manifested the same time as mine. He at one point managed to revert to 8.1 and then re-join Insiders, and went from 8.1 directly to latest version that turned out to be final one published few days ago, and it was fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb