1520.3 Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile (Official) - a microBLOG

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried to update my 1520 to WP10. Upgrade advisor found an upgrade and told me to go "settings -> phone update" to upgrade my phone. I clicked the "check for updates" button but it still says my phone is up to date. I tried rebooting my phone, but that didn't solve anything. Upgrade advisor keeps telling me that my phone is ready to upgrade.

What gives?

Could be busy servers. They are probably smoking the last couple of days.

Can you look in Settings > extras & info... What is your Manufacturer Name and Mobile Operator?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
OK. Went through all the Settings, Apps, etc. Set up complete except for maybe one or two Apps left to sign in on first use.

Let's roll.

Hi,
could you check if the firmware version has changed after the update?

I took a firmware update in early January via WDRT as reported here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...8-1-after-installing-wp-10-a.html#post3370483

That gave me 02540.00019.15236.45004... At the time I speculated it might be prep for W10M.

There was no increase in firmware on the official upgrade path.

wp_ss_20160318_0002.jpg

Thanks for your microblog.

1. Do contact picutres (saved to contacts in people hub) get saved and ported to contacts/people app in windows 10 mobile?
2. Does bluetooth keyboard work with windows 10 mobile on lumia 1520?
3. Any issues with camera and windows 10 mobile on lumia 1520 official build? (hardware button glitches, settings issues, speed of photo taking or video glitches, sampling issues?)
4. any issues with mobile internet or wifi connection?
5. any issues with excessive battery drain compared to windows phone 8.1.1?

Thanks.

Whoa, slow down killer... :winktongue: Hard for me to crash test everything so soon.

1. My Outlook contact pictures came over. That's all I use on the phone. My Skype pics are intact in Skype so I assume those would show in Contacts if I allowed them.
  2. Broke out my Fintie BT keyboard. It paired and worked in word. Should have tested my Arc mouse, but haven't yet. I only tried just now for this post.
  3. Not yet, but I haven't taken many photos yet... Give me some time. Harware button wakes the camera even under lock and 2 stage focus/capture works
  4. No issue with connectivity in my 24 hours use. :p
  5. Too early to tell about battery. I've been fiddling near constantly with the phone.

So hows it holding up?

Some people say we should not restore apps, instead clean install them one by one. How's restore working out for you?

I did it this way (get to .164, reset, restore backup) because that is how most users will want to go. I have a 640 fully ready to run 10 on Release ring and it is a stable daily driver. I took the chance to help out, knowing that if anything went wrong I could just reset and do a new setup by hand.

Looking good so far. Shakedown is of course an ongoing thing. Prep just ended this afternoon. I'm driving it now and the only issue I had was Settings > Privacy > Messaging would crash every time I changed an App permission to access Messaging. Every Time. It would have the change when I went back in... But the next change... Crash.

So far so good. Looks legit. :cool:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
P.S.: I read something along the way somewhere that said "Hey Cortana" may not continue to function for some devices... Not sure where, Information overload the last couple of days.

FWIW, my "Hey Cortana" is working fine. YMMV

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Can you tell me about glance screen and double tap to awake? Do they work as well as on wp8.1?

Yes they do. Glance is somewhat limited now with no support for Weather to show full details. Double tap to wake works well. I'm basing all this as experienced on my AT&T unlocked 1520 running build 164.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
My device: Lumia 1520, RM-938_lta_lta_905, Mobile Operator 000-22. This device has never been off official. No Preview for Developers, no Insider Preview. (I love my Beast Phone[SUP]TM[/SUP] way too much to to fiddle with that stuff on here. That's why God invented backup phones.)

I backed up yesterday and nothing has really changed as I've been driving a 640 on Insider Release ring for the past few weeks.

Backup servers appear BUSY as I kept stalling at 16%. Imma go with yesterday's backup.

Could not find Upgrade Advisor with a store search. Luckily I had it earlier and uninstalled it. Found it on "my apps" list and reinstalled. Ran the Upgrade Advisor. It found an Upgrade to Windows 10 immediately.

I have autoinstall for updates turned off. On to Settings > update > update is waiting (I also got a toast notification). Downloading/Installing W10M now...

View attachment 123833

I have used previous Windows Insider builds up to a very recent build. This new build for older phones, mine a1520.3 also, is the coolest build so far. Meaning the phone stays cool, which should help battery drain. On standby, battery drain has been around 2.2%/hr. Windows 10 mobile still has issues.II'll follow up later.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Did you step down to Production ring?

Did you already take firmware update in Jan or Feb?

No, didn't step down to Production Ring. I understand I don't need to, correct?

Yes, I did get firmware update earlier in the year (when I temporarily rolled back to 8.1, before returning to Insider Preview, now on .164).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
No, didn't step down to Production Ring. I understand I don't need to, correct?

Yes, I did get firmware update earlier in the year (when I temporarily rolled back to 8.1, before returning to Insider Preview, now on .164).

I would think you would have to go down to Production to catch a Production OTA... Makes sense to me anyway.

But, look at post #43... http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/416364-2.htm#post3438887

I took that Firmware bump in January from 8.1 and gained nothing for Firmware version increase when Upgrading to W10M.

Check my screen shot in the linked post: if your About has all the same numbers as mine, there is nothing for you to get.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Do windows phone 8.1 apps work in windows 10 mobile. I use apps like My Car app by KineApps and Countdown by Mario Donhauser. Would be nice to know if they still worked in windows 10 mobile. I'm especially curious about the My Car app, since I have all my car data in their. Took me a lot of work to add the data and keep it uptodate. Would be years of work gone up in smoke otherwise. Not looking forward to that.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Do windows phone 8.1 apps work in windows 10 mobile. I use apps like My Car app by KineApps and Countdown by Mario Donhauser. Would be nice to know if they still worked in windows 10 mobile. I'm especially curious about the My Car app, since I have all my car data in their. Took me a lot of work to add the data and keep it uptodate. Would be years of work gone up in smoke otherwise. Not looking forward to that.

My Car is available in the store as a download for W10 mobile.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've still not settled in for evaluating the battery yet. Too much to play with and I'm currently installing all of the US for Maps onto the device (In 10 you can select SD card, but I have the internal space so I like it there for read speed)...

Camera deploy, shoot and shoot again speed seems good. I snapped a couple pics walking the dog this AM.

Do windows phone 8.1 apps work in windows 10 mobile?

I think it may be a case by case basis. Not having used any of the ones you listed, I'm not in a position to evaluate the difference between running them on 8.1 and running them on 10.

In the case of My Car, does it save your data between resets? Is there a way to back it up off the device? I simply don't know these things.

DerKulp

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Issues i have so far:
1. The app "Network Services" got updated and is working fine but in the app list it is still listed as pending.
2. Microsoft Weather app can't be uninstalled and lacks an icon in app list. There's just a blue square.
3. Groove music also has no icon in the app list.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yes, found a myriad of backup options. Feel better now. Thanks. Can you see if windows map navigation uses different languages for turn-by-turn navigation voice? Is Dutch (NL-NL ) supported?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Darn! I'm still not getting the update on my 1520.3, running .164, with Insider Program reset to "Production!" Anyone else?

I don't think there is anything for you to get. If you are on 10586.164. What is your Firmware version? If it is 02540.00019.15236.45004 then there really is nothing else for you... Again, check your screen against what I show in post #43 and if all your numbers agree what could you possibly find in an update that you don't already have???

Yes, found a myriad of backup options. Feel better now. Thanks. Can you see if windows map navigation uses different languages for turn-by-turn navigation voice? Is Dutch (NL-NL ) supported?

Unlike HERE, Maps does not allow downloading Language packs inside the App. Instead, it seems to use your system language.

I took some photos today and Camera App seemed to stick on "Saving..." several time when using Rich Capture with a complex lighting situation. I've Soft Reset, but only after I was done with the shoot. I'll keep an eye on this one.

halflifecrysis

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I took some photos today and Camera App seemed to stick on "Saving..." several time when using Rich Capture with a complex lighting situation. I've Soft Reset, but only after I was done with the shoot. I'll keep an eye on this one.

On my 1520 this has never been fixed and was introduced when I left 8.1 and it's not always on a Rich capture either. I've reported the bug numerous times on the camera app.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss