1520.3 Upgrade to Windows 10 Mobile (Official) - a microBLOG

NightOrchid

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Yep, Upgrade Advisor seems to be the official path. I guess Microsoft wants to make sure users are consciously opting in. There is a bunch of ToS stuff in there.

Yep, that worked.. Thanks for that, its just on charge now before i upgrade.. been waiting for win10M, I just hope its stable enough to run as my main daily driver.. Fingers crossed :)

EDIT:

Ok, Be aware, Win10M took me over 2.5 hours to install.. from Pressing "Search for updates" in advisor to being up and Running on build 164.. I also did a full factory reset - ide advise this... (Back up your data) and updated all Win10M Apps (Keep hitting "Check for updates".. theres about 70 apps to update.

Also back up and format your SDCard and start over.. Win10 is a new file system... always best to do this.

Its 3.30 am here in UK.. never thought it would take this long..
Have fun

Last edited:

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Speaker and IPS panel when camera in use in low light no different compared to windows phone 8 situation. So any issue will likely be hardware limitation.

You did a fast upgrade! From windows 8.1.1 to windows 10 mobile .164 build took me 4,5 hours, including the intermediary obligatory upgrade to .107. Also including updating all apps from the store, rechecking all app logins and importing all personal data (as part of the upgrade process).

Must say I am blown away by the upgrade. First time to experience this after the expeirences of windows mobile 6.5.x. to windows phone 7 and windows phone 7 to windows phone 8. Even more blown away that most of my personal data from windows 8.1.1. was restored in windows 10 mobile. I already has contacts linked to email and data backed up to the cloud and some individual apps exported data to relevant file formats and saved them to email temporarily. But overall had a big smile on my face that with adequate backup the whole process was relatively painless. Even had time for a cup of tea between upgrades.

It does feel like my 1520 is getting a second life, and it is a wonderful feeling. OS is still quite zippy. I do notice scrolling of the applist is slower than on 8.1.1. Still everything is nicely responsive. Camera app works as ever before. Some app look better on windows 10 mobile because you can tweak the sizes of texts and fonts through the screen and accessibility settings. Wonderful to play with. Looks almost like a pc sometimes on your phone and mircast of office in landscape on a bigger monitor or smarttv looks almost like you have continuum on your phone! If only microsoft would consider landscape support for the startscreen. That would be an awsome continuum experience for older devices! I hope they will consider it!

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Ok guys. After not getting the W10M update, I rolled back to 8.1 (and learned, as expected, I did not need a firmware update), then used Update Advisor to move to W10M (and got an subsequent, and unexpected, Update to .164), then continued on to "Redstone" 14295, and then hard reset. I'm on my way, so far, so good.

Though the annoying crash still exists when the Critical Low Battery warning appears, even when battery is fine, I'll survive.

Hasrol Rosli

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Hi there;

I recently upgraded my Lumia 1520 to Windows 10 Mobile. However I am unable to reset the language and region setting to English. Each time I restarted the phone it keep returning back to Arabic.

Fyi; I do not speak Arabic and I am currently on business trip to Saudi Arabia.

Please share your experience & expertise (if any).

p/s: can't share my build as I can't navigate the setting in Arabic language :unhappysweat:

Eye D 10 T

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
The critically low battery issue got worse for me over time. Even trying to take a few pictures would trigger that. Seems that certain apps or actions make that happen. Had to roll back to 8.1 and wait for new firmware.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi there;

I recently upgraded my Lumia 1520 to Windows 10 Mobile. However I am unable to reset the language and region setting to English. Each time I restarted the phone it keep returning back to Arabic.

Fyi; I do not speak Arabic and I am currently on business trip to Saudi Arabia.

Please share your experience & expertise (if any).

p/s: can't share my build as I can't navigate the setting in Arabic language :unhappysweat:

Changing the language is a 3 step process including three soft resets.

1. Go to settings-> Time and language
2. Go to Region
3. Select your phone language and region (example: British English and United Kingdom)
4. Press restart phone button at the top of the page.
5. After restart login
6. Go to settings-> time and language, again.
7. Go to Language
8. If your prefered language is not in the list, press the + button at the top of the page and choose your language (example English (united kingdom). it will download, but also need a restart. You will be prompted to do this.
9. After restart login
10. Go to settings->language
11. Longpress the language you want. You will get a context menu. Choose "Move up". If you have more language keep doing this for your prefered language till it gets to the top of the list.
12. You will see a footnote telling you that to activate this language you need to do a restart.
13. Press restart
14. After restart login. Done. You now have your language (in this example English-united kingdom) and region set.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
The critically low battery issue got worse for me over time. Even trying to take a few pictures would trigger that. Seems that certain apps or actions make that happen. Had to roll back to 8.1 and wait for new firmware.

Yup. I have the same problem. I see a "critically low battery" message and it shuts down. When I reconnect to power it shows plenty of battery. (Most recently it was at 20% battery, which is the same level I set for "battery saver.") Regardless, they have a bug here and I hope they fix it. I have given feedback. We'll see.

Last edited:

Hasrol Rosli

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
Changing the language is a 3 step process including three soft resets.

1. Go to settings-> Time and language
2. Go to Region
3. Select your phone language and region (example: British English and United Kingdom)
4. Press restart phone button at the top of the page.
5. After restart login
6. Go to settings-> time and language, again.
7. Go to Language
8. If your prefered language is not in the list, press the + button at the top of the page and choose your language (example English (united kingdom). it will download, but also need a restart. You will be prompted to do this.
9. After restart login
10. Go to settings->language
11. Longpress the language you want. You will get a context menu. Choose "Move up". If you have more language keep doing this for your prefered language till it gets to the top of the list.
12. You will see a footnote telling you that to activate this language you need to do a restart.
13. Press restart
14. After restart login. Done. You now have your language (in this example English-united kingdom) and region set.

Hi. Thanks for your answer.

I have done as per your recommendation above but It does not work. Upon restarting it keep changing to default Arabic & Saudi Arabia.

By the way, I have managed to reset the language & region setting to English. The problem is something to do with the sim card. I have changed to other sim card and it had stop changing to Arabic. For the record, it is a local Saudi Arabia telco sim card. I believed it is due to the sim card default setting which will prompt the phone to activate the language & region setting.

Thanks bro. WP rocks!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
By the way, I have managed to reset the language & region setting to English. The problem is something to do with the sim card. I have changed to other sim card and it had stop changing to Arabic. For the record, it is a local Saudi Arabia telco sim card. I believed it is due to the sim card default setting which will prompt the phone to activate the language & region setting.

It should look at SIM during setup and offer you the "local" default. But after setup your choices should persist.

I'd report that as bug in Feedback.

brian770

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
i just started using build.1000, and everything is going great except the alarm. no matter what i do my alarm is VERY quiet, i can hardly even hear it. all volumes are at 100%. i havent noticed any other bugs as of yet.

my 1520 is an older one, about says its version 1511 firmware is 02540.00019.14484.37028 and hardware version is 4.1.0.0

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I cannot catch that recent Camera update. The one with Forced HDR and Pause/Resume for Video.

I also am having no luck getting any run/walk tracking app to run under lock screen.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I cannot catch that recent Camera update. The one with Forced HDR and Pause/Resume for Video.

I also am having no luck getting any run/walk tracking app to run under lock screen.

FWIIW: I successfully downloaded the camera update on my 1520.3 running 14295. Seems to work fine.

What walk/run tracking app? Microsoft Health?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
FWIIW: I successfully downloaded the camera update on my 1520.3 running 14295. Seems to work fine.

What walk/run tracking app? Microsoft Health?

Health won't do sessions... I'm still a bit miffed they never brought this back from Health & Fitness App. Health is counting my daily steps.

For sessions I've tried Livescape and Runtastic, neither of which are working under lock.

Comments on teh Blog article about Camera update lead me to believe it isn't just for Redstone Builds. I can't find it on Threshold with 1520.3 or 640.

Divefire

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Interesting read, thanks for posting your experiences with W10M.

Out of interest what has your battery life settled down to? I've found mine has only been lasting around 10 hours but I'm unsure if that's my usage or battery wear (used 1520 but in excellent condition).

Any feedback would be very helpful. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I seem to have taken a small hit on battery. Where 2 days use for me was virtually assured it is now hit or miss. Some days good, some not so much.

I'm thinking that some Apps may not be optimized for 10, but I've yet to pin down which ones exactly...

Divefire

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
That's interesting, how heavy would you say your usage is roughly? I know that's quite a subjective thing though.

Regarding apps I'd very much agree. It seems to me that most of the messaging apps (messenger, what's app for example) seem to be using a lot of energy as a background process where as the 10 native apps seem to be a bit more comfortable running in the background.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa