Camera Focus Issues (Macro)

tonygt92

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I recently switched to a Lumia 1520 from a Lumia 520 and I find the camera performance an upgrade, but closeup photography in the 1520 sucks big time, it never focuses, even after keeping a distance of 10 cm, tried manual focus but hasn't made much of a difference, the 520 manages to focus sharper with tap to focus, is there anything wrong with the phone camera?
Phone running windows 10

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sample pics would be appreciated...

How are you capturing? 5MP jpg? 5MP + 16MP/19MP jpg (14:9/4:3)? 5MP jpg + 16MP/19MP dng (14:9/4:3)?

One of the things that 1520 is great for is cropping. You could shoot from a bit farther back and crop in on the High Res version. It preserves a tremendous amount of detail.

tonygt92

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I cant attach pics using the mobile app and the new W10 app crashes when i press the reply post button, hence can't post any sample pics, my phone also not being detected when i plug it into the laptop top

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I cant attach pics using the mobile app and the new W10 app crashes when i press the reply post button, hence can't post any sample pics, my phone also not being detected when i plug it into the laptop top

On the laptop, has it always failed to find phone or is that a new thing?

You could try this utility: View any installed/connected USB device on your system Download and extract. Right click the exe and "Run as Admin." Delete any drivers marked Nokia or Lumia. Plug 1520 into USB and allow fresh driver set to install.

Again though:
How are you capturing? 5MP jpg? 5MP + 16MP/19MP jpg (14:9/4:3)? 5MP jpg + 16MP/19MP dng (14:9/4:3)?

One of the things that 1520 is great for is cropping. You could shoot from a bit farther back and crop in on the High Res version. It preserves a tremendous amount of detail.

I'm really not sure how close you are trying to get the lens without seeing samples. Minimum focus distance is 10 cm or 3.94 inches. If you work with 16/19MP dng on the phone with Rawer, you could ease back on how close to the subject you push the lens and rely on cropping from a High Res Digital Negative. From 20 cm (7.87") on a 16MP dng, even cropping out half the image leaves a lot of detail to work with.

There is also this hack if you are a dedicated macro shooter: Amazing way to take incredible pictures - Mind Blowing Things

tonygt92

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks will try the USB solution, it has been there for quite sometime, but it was bearable.

BTW is there a macro mode for the camera app in windows 10, wasn't there such a mode in 8.1?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It looks like you may have to try and rule out software.

Try using an alternate camera App. 2 I rely on are Camera360 Sight (quick point and shoot - will capture 16MP jpg) and ProShot (so many manual settings and you can save custom configurations).

See what the results are with a different App.

On W10M I'm having "Saving..." issues with Camera.Trying to find a way to refresh the App. (Can't uninstall and no updates found in the store.)

If the problem persists even when shooting with Sight or ProShot, the next step is a reset. If the lack of focus is still a problem across Apps then it might be a bad camera module.

tonygt92

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I get the saving issue while using rich capture, after taking two or three shots, its hangs at the saving screen, will try the other apps, thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre