Is the Lumia 1520 still worth to buy??

feorwine

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Ghost touches seems to appear and disappear with every build...
.. and SGN7?? I was on a domestic flight and it was announce on the PA before take-off to not use the N7 onboard. Seriously, I won't touch that phone with a ten-foot pole..

....!!
I had ghost touches on my 1520 until I stopped putting it on my trousers' pocket and started carrying it on a belt case or jacket pocket. So far so good. Bending force was my problem.

paul87russell

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Ghost touches seems to appear and disappear with every build...
.. and SGN7?? I was on a domestic flight and it was announce on the PA before take-off to not use the N7 onboard. Seriously, I won't touch that phone with a ten-foot pole..

....!!

Ghost touches don't disappear base on builds, its a hardware problem.
Yeah, got the replacement already. It sucks that all flights require the Note 7 to be turned off but i really love the display and camera is superb.Got other devices to keep me occupied anyway.

rje

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I got hold of an unused white 1520 :) . It was claimed to be unlocked, but it was the AT&T version. Anyway, the phone looks brand new with the screen tape till on and Windows 8 on it. The manual with the phone says RM-937 though...

1520_1.jpg

1520_2.jpg

Is it micro-sim or nano-sim? My plan is to a factory reset, run all the updates to 8.1 and then use it for a week or so. Then update to Windows 10 anniversary update. Sounds good?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I got hold of an unused white 1520 :) . It was claimed to be unlocked, but it was the AT&T version. Anyway, the phone looks brand new with the screen tape till on and Windows 8 on it. The manual with the phone says RM-937 though...

It's not the AT&T version. Unless the case was swapped (unlikely). It doesn't have the 3 pogo pins on the back that all AT&T 1520's have.

Your Purchase:
1520_2.jpg

Stock Photo of AT&T 1520:
nokia_lumia_1520_sg_181.jpg

See the difference?

Check Settings > Extras & Info > Manufacturer Name will give you the RM-# and Mobile Operator will give you the region it was made for...

I'm going to guess Mobile Operator is 000-HK which would place it as a Hong Kong variant of the RM-937. Many of these were sold to the west.

See if you can get into Field Test by dialing ##3282# in Phone. If you can, follow the OP here to identify what LTE Bands you might have and enable any that are not active: http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...wind-mobilicity-aws1700mhz-hspa-band-4-a.html

You are going to want Bands 2/4/5/7 and 12 or 17, both of the last 2 if your radio supports them. If some or all of those are missing, you may want to return that 1520. If it was advertised as an AT&T model and it isn't, you have a strong basis for a complete refund.

Please report back what you find in Field Test for better advice...

Is it micro-sim or nano-sim? My plan is to a factory reset, run all the updates to 8.1 and then use it for a week or so. Then update to Windows 10 anniversary update. Sounds good?

It's a nanoSIM.

You need the Denim update before you can get W10M, but I think you need to evaluate what you have in this device first before worrying about 10.

rje

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info. When I restart the device, the AT&T logo comes. Also, this is what I see in Extras+Info:

1520_3.jpg

At the end there is a MADE IN CHINA and the below text

Model : 1520.2
Type: RM-940
FCC ID:pYAB

Adding Field test info

I don't get the manual option in the Network Type. only the below 4:
automatic
2G only
3G only
4G only

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... They may have flashed an ATT ROM onto an RM-937. Where's the pogo pins for the PMA charging jacket?

How much internal storage do you have?

You might try updating OTA to Denim and see if that gets the option to select Manual in Network Type.

rje

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
1st update updated the OS version to 8.0.10532.166 ( still showing as Lumia Black in Extras+Info), but the 2nd update already is showing as Windows 8.1 (8.10.12397.895) update.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
16 GB internal memory. Let me try to see if update works. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

which indicates, indeed it's an AT&T version.

There were aftermarket backs floating around, that's a reasonably easy replacement, though the WHY would elude me, probably re-furb'd.

You s/b able to take it all the way up to 14393.189 which is where my 1520 is, possibly needing Insider Release Preview.

rje

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
After updating to Windows 8.1, did a factory reset and now during the field test, I was able to set the bands as instructed in the link shared. Thanks guys, will upgrade to Windows 10 tonight and get the nano sim tomorrow :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
16 GB internal memory. Let me try to see if update works. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Like MDK22 says vvv It's an AT&T then.

which indicates, indeed it's an AT&T version.

There were aftermarket backs floating around, that's a reasonably easy replacement, though the WHY would elude me, probably re-furb'd.

You s/b able to take it all the way up to 14393.189 which is where my 1520 is, possibly needing Insider Release Preview.

Wondering if they did the case swap as part of a Qi hardware mod? Best way to test that is to plonk 'er down on a Qi pad if you have one, rje.

After updating to Windows 8.1, did a factory reset and now during the field test, I was able to set the bands as instructed in the link shared. Thanks guys, will upgrade to Windows 10 tonight and get the nano sim tomorrow :)

Glad Field Test is up and running for you. As a side note I have the 1520.3 (RM-938) and there is no access to Field Test. I tried the reg edit to enable Field Test and it did not work via Interop Tools. I'm thinking about a full Interop Unlock which should allow the reg edit to work... Problem is I'm still waiting for a new choice in a daily before I take that step...

rje - to go from 8.1 + Denim, use Windows Upgrade Advisor from the store to get 14393.189. Insider will also work and I'd recommend Release Ring for a smooth experience. You will get Redstone 1 patches and fixes a bit early and won't have to worry about Redstone 2 builds until the Spring when it goes RTM.

rje

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the support guys, updated to 14393.189 and have activated the SIM and works great at the moment :) . Restored all backups, hope to enjoy a long time.
Incidentally this is the 4th Windows phone. I started with a 920, had a 520 as a backup, then the 640 when the 920's battery was not lasting and now the 1520. All 4 phones are now working great with the 920 the only one who has issues with its battery.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Your scenario is quite similar to mine. 920 ->720->830 now with a two-month old new 1520 I got cheap at a shop clearance sale. I took it from from un-boxed 8.0 to -Black-Cyan-Denim/8.0 and now insider.
1520 is a great phone, fab camera and screen. Will however, will be handing the phone over to my wife, who is also using a 1520. But after 3 yrs, her battery is fading.
Hopefully I can get replacement battery soon. I'll be using my backup 830 .. but it just cant compare..

....!!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about rebuild going a 1520 right now. I've owned 2 of them in the past and it's my favorite phone of all time. Is it still worth it? That's my question.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking about rebuild going a 1520 right now. I've owned 2 of them in the past and it's my favorite phone of all time. Is it still worth it? That's my question.

My 1520.3 has been used pretty hard over the 2+ years I've owned it. The battery still lasts 2 days, but it isn't as assured to get 2 days as it once was.

I decided I'm doing this deal on Friday: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...9-99-$25-upgrade-fee-starts-10-07-2016-a.html

Then I'm going to WDRT my 1520 back to 8.1 and set it up as a dedicated camera and retire it from being my daily...

Next stop will be the Cerulean. If it is what I suspect it to be (a rebadged Moly PcPhone) it should be a worthy daily with virtually the same display as 1520 and an upgrade from GG2 -> GG3, a larger battery (3900 mAh), SD 617 and Continuum, USB Type C, 3GB RAM, 32GB internal, faster SD bus, cat7 LTE, 5MP ffc and a 13MP rear shooter... I just hope with limited supply I can get my hands on one. Built for W10M will get me encryption, call recorder and hopefully tap-to-pay comes to it down the line.

Yep, I'm starting to look past my 1520 to the future.

Last edited:

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Your comments help. I'm actually heavily leaning towards a 550 right now. $99.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Just got my yellow 1520 back after a battery swap (cannibalised from my other 1520)...
Oh happy days... I can consign my 830 back to the drawer...

...!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99