Nokia Lumia 1520 Questions: Any help?

JohnKCG

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
nokia lumia 1520 Questions:

Hi Windows Central, i'm new at the Windows phone world, i've been a BlackBerry 10 user since the very first Z10 came out, however BlackBerry switching to Android put me on a deciding situation on choosing between Android and ios, however i have used both Android an ios multiple times, i have tested them, seen their roots, and i personally won't like neither of them as daily drivers, however i discovered the Windows phone (now Windows mobile) world, and i like Nokia as a Brand, have used even the meego n9, and i what i've seen of the Windows phone world and Nokia working together is pleasant, very very good cameras, a OS than actually isn't going to be ditched and more importantly, a complete cooperation between the phone and the computer, so myself being a Windows 10 user will help on choosing a Windows device, you might be asking yourself why i choose a 1520 as a daily driver being the new Windows phones out there?, Well because i'm a ****** of Nokia, i was thinking on a 1020 first because its monstruous camera, however not having the Windows 10 mobile is a very good reason to not choose this phone, well lets go to the main point of this ask thread:

1) has the Nokia lumia us otg capabilities on Windows 10?, This is actually the most deciding factor on buying this phone, i really want and like the phone, but my actual Z10 doens't support usb otg, I've readed on this forums tan the 1520 DOES NOT support usb otg on Windows Phone 8.1, but maybe in Windows 10 mobile there is more luck, cause i have readed tan the snapdragon that the 1520 has (not remembering if it was a snapdragon actually) had usb otg capabilities on other phones that had that processor, maybe it Works on Windows 10 mobile, just wanna know if there is luck.

2) Is the 1520 running smoothtly on Windows 10 mobile?

3) Is the 1520 camera still a very good one?, am not being very exigent here, i do not want an "Galaxy S7" experience, but neither do i want a horrible experience, does the camera hold his own on the actual Smartphone world?

4) does the 1520 supports 200 gb or more micro sd cards?, pretty much the ask, i do want to record a lot on the 1520, hearing that it supports 4K the sky is the limit lol, i do not want a 1tb sd, yep it exist now apparently, but swapping 128 gb micro sd's is boring.

well i hpoe that you can throw some light in the dark, thanks for asking

Asskickulater

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: nokia lumia 1520 Questions:

I'm kinda surprised no ones answered this yet.. well, I've had the 1520 for about 2 years now, I can definitely say it hasn't disappointed me, I'll try and answer all I can.

1) OTG support, i cant really answer this, ive never tested it, if i had the propery tools i would test it for you, until someone can confirm or deny tohugh, id not base much on this

2) 1520 runs very smooth with W10M, its very comparable to WP 8.1 in smoothness.

3)as for the camera I still love it, its staritng to get shown up by newer devices, but its still a beast of a camera even today. to detial, its a 16 mp cameric with OIS and a dedicated camera butt (sure you knew that already though) its shots are usually pretty clear, does great in low light, it also can save images in raw unprocessed DNG formats which is pretty nice. it can record in 4k as well, also has 4 mics for recording so its good at cutting out background noise in recordings. Also the ability to record in "slow motion" Im not sure what fps it is though as the phone doesn't say, probably 60fps 120fps.

4) while it doesn't officially support anything higher than 64 people have had it work with 120gb cards and I'm sure 200gb cards have worked too

any more questions feel free to ask!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

1) has the Nokia lumia us otg capabilities on Windows 10?, This is actually the most deciding factor on buying this phone...

Here is a help page from Microsoft. New in Windows 10: USB Dual Role on Mobile - Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

Please note, this feature will only be available on new Windows 10 devices that support USB Dual Role. This is because of the hardware changes required for the USB port to support device enumeration. While there are devices in the market today that have USB Dual Role capable controllers, the platforms were not designed to support USB Dual Role. New hardware may advertise that they are Dual Role capable.

I take this to mean that while existing Lumias of model name equal or less than x40 may have a capable SoC, it was not enabled physically on the motherboard since Windows Phone 8.1 and below were never going to support OTG in the software.

2) Is the 1520 running smoothtly on Windows 10 mobile?

Yes. For best results, upgrade via the Upgrade Advisor app, factory reset and don't restore backup. (Do a clean install.) No backup should not be an issue for new owners. ;)

3) Is the 1520 camera still a very good one?, am not being very exigent here, i do not want an "Galaxy S7" experience, but neither do i want a horrible experience, does the camera hold his own on the actual Smartphone world?

The camera is truly the centerpiece of the phone.

In the native Camera App you have choices. I run 5MPjpg + 16MPdng (Digital NeGative, it's like RAW). That is for the 16:9 ratio if you shoot 4:3 you can get 5jpg + 18dng, but I'm a 16:9 guy... IMHO this gets you the best experience.

The 5MP images are oversampled and way above the quality of a 5MP sensor image, it leverages the whole sensor and the software interpolates down. It isn't just using 5MP off the sensor. The 5MP oversample is a good size for sharing. That's what it is for.

The dng files can be edited and "printed" from over and over with no degradation of the original. JPG and PNG will degrade over time with every open and manipulation... You can edit dng on the phone with the RAWER App and it does reduce the MP of the image when converting to jpg, but boosts the quality of your composition with the post shot edits possible. More powerful is editing dng on desktop to really clean up and tweak. My new go to on my laptop is Fotor to convert the dng to jpg with no loss of MP size and then Polarr Pro for edits and great denoise cleanup.

There are a wealth of Camera and Photo Edit Apps available that enhance your experiences. For fast 16MPjpg capture I use Camera360 Sight. And for high res composition during the shot the very granular controls of ProShot really make a difference. Cropping in on a post shot edit from a 16 or 18MP original still gives tremendous detail to your final pic.

High Res capture, HDR with merge of the brackets right on the phone, DNG Lossless file, 4K video capture, Dolby sound in video, slow mo video, hyperlapsed video... This is a camera for those who know and those who want to learn. I wanted to learn and after almost 2 years I'm still growing into the camera.

The only caveat: 1520 is not the best in low light situations. If you like night time shoots, the 950 or 950 XL would be a better choice. You can coax some improvements from the low light pics in post shot... Just be mindful it isn't the module's strength.

4) does the 1520 supports 200 gb or more micro sd cards?, pretty much the ask, i do want to record a lot on the 1520, hearing that it supports 4K the sky is the limit lol, i do not want a 1tb sd, yep it exist now apparently, but swapping 128 gb micro sd's is boring.

This one is a bit outside my area... I don't do much video and only played a bit with 4K once.

In terms of card size? I think a fast 128 UHS-I card would be good... Here's the thing. The USB bus isn't getting any younger. There is a hard limit with write speed that is probably going to bottleneck at the bus before it would at the card...

My understanding is that 4K is limited to 15 minutes. I'd capture it to Internal Storage first. Then move it to the card for short term and to PC for long term storage.... I really couldn't say how much space per minute a 4K vid uses.

JohnKCG

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site

Well Thanks you two for the answers, i will wait until someone can tell me if the phone suppports usb otg, until that i was awared that the 1520 camera was good but raw images, Well that is a game changer, however te usb otg is something that I really need, in fact that 's why i giving up my Z10, good ram good os but no otg, well waiting for the otg answer on 1520 but if Microsoft already said that about otg on old windows phones that isn't good news

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

i will wait until someone can tell me if the phone suppports usb otg,

Sorry. I guess my answer above wasn't clear. The connection to enable USB OTG is a physical thing that was never done on any Legacy Windows Phone devices. No amount of software can change that.

There won't be USB OTG on the 1520.

JohnKCG

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I know what you told me before, that's why i told you that that microsoft report was bad news, but you are wrong with the last thing you said the blackberry PlayBook for example, didn't had usb otg "legally" however People on Crackberry or other site had succes on activating the usb otg capability on te PlayBook, however maybe the test isn't necesary at all because of the page you listed above, well time will tell

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Great summary of the camera capabilities on the 1520. I am a PGA golf pro in addition to a tech enthusiast and I use the video extensively in giving lessons and have developed a junior golf app that is in the windows store (Golf Fore Kids) and I couldn't have done it without such a good camera for the golf vids that the app includes. It records very well in 120 fps (frames per second) as well as the standard 30 fps. There is also the capability to record in 24 or 25 fps and the 4k of course. I edit the video's with either Adobe Photoshop or Premier Pro and the regular photo's I use Lightroom.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

In terms of card size? I think a fast 128 UHS-I card would be good...
..to add to this...a UHS-1 U3 card is recommended for 4K videos..

It records very well in 120 fps (frames per second) as well as the standard 30 fps.
How did you achieve the 120 fps? This is not enabled on the native camera app.

Edit: Never mind...looks like the slow motion video workaround.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05