Phone dead/not charging

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Running a 1520 on Win 10M.
Last nite before I went to bed I put it on a generic USB cable (known working) on my PC. It had about 24% remaining.
This afternoon I went to get it & the battery was completely dead (I assume). I took it off that charger, got a different cable (known working) & hooked it in to my laptop. I left it alone for a few minutes, hit the power button & nothing. I tried a different cable & plugged it into a wall adapter, waited, tried turning it & again nothing. I then tried a different wall charger & again nothing.
Suggestions? Ideas?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Soft Reset

The soft reset is the same thing as pulling your battery (on devices where that is possible). This method will not remove anything at all from your phone and is completely safe to attempt in any problem situation.
You perform the soft reset by having your phone turned on. Then press and hold the volume down + power buttons until your phone vibrates and restarts. Note that you should not touch the device screen during the process (not even when the 'slide down to power off' prompt appears).

Hard Reset

The hard reset will bring your phone back to factory settings, the same state as when the device was first turned on. All apps, messages, media, personal settings, etc will be removed from the phone. If backup is turned on under Settings, you can restore your apps and settings after performing a hard reset (as long as you initialize the phone with the same Microsoft Account). Note that resetting your device will not remove any OS or firmware updates. You will remain on the same version of Windows Phone after the reset.
If you can TURN ON your device you can reset your phone under Settings: Settings > about > reset your phone

If you can't open your device because of a forgotten PIN (or similar), you can use the button method: Press and hold the power-, volume-down- and camera buttons until the phone vibrates. Then release the power-button and keep the other two buttons pressed for another five seconds. The phone should reset to factory settings.
If both of these options failed there is one more alternative.

Use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to reset your device. This will take you back to the OS version which originally came with the phone. So for phones that did not ship with W10M, the WDRT will take it back to 8.0. If the phone was shipped with W10M, the tool will take it back to a version of W10M

Follow this link for instructions and download:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/mobile/support/faq/?action=singleTopic&topic=FA142987

Not sure if the recovery tool will help in this case.. Thor might in an extreme scenario..

Above all maybe let the phone sit on charge overnight

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Tried two different USB ports. AC adapter is currently charging another phone just fine.
Tried the button combinations to no avail.
WDRT would not recognize my device.
While I do have another phone I can use in the meantime, I hate for anything to go wrong with this as this phone set me back some $'s being a 938 in mint condition.
I just don't see how it could die so quickly. It's heartbreaking.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
The charging port on that phone is one of the few lumias that is on a daughter board, is pretty cheap, and is pretty easy to replace (does not require taking the motherboard or battery out to do it).

If the daughter board doesn't do it, then it could be the battery.

I'd try a few different wall sockets and charge cables, then I'd probably plan on replacing the usb board, and/or battery.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It's been hooked up to a wall adapter for about 12 hours now. Still nothing.
I'm comfortable taking apart my lumia, with the exception of having to deal with the vibe motor. Last couple of times didn't fare well when it got put back together.
Can they just go out all of a sudden?

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
What's the lifespan on the battery of these?
I don't know how old the phone is since I bought it pre-owned.
I guess it'd be a good idea to replace the battery when I replace the daughterboard, tho.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
you don't have to touch the vibe motor to swap the battery and/or daughter board. honestly, i'd probably leave the battery alone, and see if the issue is board related first. the battery is a real pain to get out of that phone.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Can't speak to the battery life, since all the ones I've gotten have been used. I have one now sitting in a box (w/cracked screen), so I thought I could send it to you, but I went and checked it, and it's the daughter board that is bad.

What's the lifespan on the battery of these?
I don't know how old the phone is since I bought it pre-owned.
I guess it'd be a good idea to replace the battery when I replace the daughterboard, tho.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Can't speak to the battery life, since all the ones I've gotten have been used. I have one now sitting in a box (w/cracked screen), so I thought I could send it to you, but I went and checked it, and it's the daughter board that is bad.

I appreciate the thought. I purchased a daughterboard off ebay & am holding off on the battery.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I appreciate the thought. I purchased a daughterboard off ebay & am holding off on the battery.

Good luck with it - need any help, just ask. Hope that's it. At least on the 1520, that's doable. On many of these Lumias, the whole motherboard has to be replaced, or you have to micro-solder the USB port.

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Good luck with it - need any help, just ask. Hope that's it. At least on the 1520, that's doable. On many of these Lumias, the whole motherboard has to be replaced, or you have to micro-solder the USB port.
I'm hoping that's all there is too. I had good battery life with it...2-3 days the way I used it. What else could it be?

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Well, out of sheer desperation I plugged it in to the charger again. The windows icon started blinking, then after a few minutes it booted up.
Even though I do have a USB charger port ordered, I think i'll keep it anyhow just in case.
I really did miss using it the past few days. I had to resort to using a Note 4 running MM after I couldn't get MMS working on my Icon.
Is this phone spoiling me? Hehehe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven