L1520 Lost Microphone after Redstone Update

Charliefr3sh

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
My L1520 was working perfectly fine on Threshold 2 until curiosity got the best of me and I dived into the fast ring, I've been quite happy with the performance so far but a bug just reared it's ugly head...... The microphone isn't working in calls unless I put the the phone on speaker. All other apps that have a calling feature work perfectly. I think that's why I didn't realize the problem until now,, because I use WhatsApp calling a lot but I can't make not tale private calls in public because I'm forced to put the phone on speaker

And NO, I don't want to hard reset! That shouldn't be the only way to "fix" everything on Win10. And carrying headsets around is very cumbersome, I just want a working phone amd OS that doesn't get break something major every time I update

Any suggestions on what to do please?

Sent from my Certified Fr3sh Lumia 1520!

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
And NO, I don't want to hard reset! That shouldn't be the only way to "fix" everything on Win10
I'm not sure you are going to get too many other suggestions.
A soft reset and then a hard reset are going to be the first suggestions, to rule out software/hardware faults.
Another option is to use the Windows Device Recovery Tool to go back to WP8.1 and then upgrade to official/Threshold Win10M.

mmbond

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Any luck with a resolution to this? My mic is not working either. I've tried hard reset and updating and rolling back software with no success. The only way I can talk to anyone is through an earpiece. Not even the speakerphone works. Has anyone ever experienced this problem and successfully resolved it. Phone is currently on windows 10 1607 10.0.14393.576. was originally 8.1.

Pretty sad that this has happened to a typically great phone. Don't know that I can survive waiting for the much rumored Surface Phone with this handicap. Thanks!

Mess096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
My L1520 was working perfectly fine on Threshold 2 until curiosity got the best of me and I dived into the fast ring, I've been quite happy with the performance so far but a bug just reared it's ugly head...... The microphone isn't working in calls unless I put the the phone on speaker. All other apps that have a calling feature work perfectly. I think that's why I didn't realize the problem until now,, because I use WhatsApp calling a lot but I can't make not tale private calls in public because I'm forced to put the phone on speaker

And NO, I don't want to hard reset! That shouldn't be the only way to "fix" everything on Win10. And carrying headsets around is very cumbersome, I just want a working phone amd OS that doesn't get break something major every time I update

Any suggestions on what to do please?

Sent from my Certified Fr3sh Lumia 1520!

My microphone is now dead. It is a physical death. The back button has been flickering for about a year and the Windows key has been flickering for 3 months. How I love you 1520; you gave me 3 years of solid service.

Good bye Windows phone/mobile, hello One-Plus 3t!

My cell phone story: http://forums.windowscentral.com//nokia-lumia-1520/452039-goodbye-1520%3B-hello-3t.html

Last edited:

zdravez

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
The problem (at least with my 1520 exhibiting the same symptoms) is the ribbon cable connecting the usb/speaker/microphone assembly to the mother board. The connector on the board seems to be the weak point. Probably with time due to the pressure from handling the phone gets faulty. Pinch the phone back in the upper right area - between the camera and the bezel and see if your microphone would come back to life.

The solution is to carefully remove the metal bracket holding the connector, insert a thin shim and retighten the bracket. It should work. Adding a semi soft foam on top of the bracket so that the back cover Great a constant pressure works too.
If you fashion a shim be careful not to impede the bracket hinge because it will not create adequate pressure if your shim is in the way of the hinge.
For a shim I used the body plastic from a micro SD to sd card adapter. I cut a small rectangular piece and placed it under the ribbon cable connector bracket.
Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa