Lumia 1520 front broken glass but display and touch intact

tonygt92

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 1520 fell from a height of 2 feet and the outer glass has cracked, the touch is fine. When I went to the service guy, he quoted an exorbitant amount saying the entire display part including the LCD has to be changed. So my doubts are:
1) Can the outer glass only be changed on a Lumia 1520?
2) Is the touch screen and digitizer a single part or is the digitizer attached to the LCD panel or are all three merged as a single piece?
3) I saw some videos on YouTube using a heat gun to separate the glass and LCD panel, so if I go that route should I buy just the outer glass or the one with the glass and digitizer. And will any digitizer do or does the 1520 digitizer has something special, read something about a synaptics chip? Also for the outerglass too, any special requirements like a polarizer filter or anything?
Sorry for the long question, thanks in advance.

hmmwv

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm in the same boat, I got my 1520.3 when it was first available, and I just cracked the screen last month. Touch and LCD are perfectly fine just one thin line across the outer glass lens. However after watching a video on Youtube about how to separate the glass it seems to me the money saved is not really worth the risk and time. I will just get a entire screen assembly with frame to swap out, now the problem is to find a good quality replacement. There are plenty for about $50 from China, some US websites are selling for $70 but I think they are the same thing, such as here: Nokia Lumia 1520 LCD & Touch Screen Digitizer Assembly Replacement.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I find that, sometimes, the double-tap to wake doesn't work after installing an aftermarket screen. It's almost better to get a refurbed one, where they have replaced the glass, and are reselling the unit.

Also - make sure you can return it if need be, from whatever seller you buy from. They often are not glued down on the sides real well when you get the refurbs. Fail rate on that is pretty high - like a 1/3 of the ones I've had, so I send them back. I have not tried to stick it down better - I send it back and get a replacement. You might be able to stick it down, but I don't do that.

It's not too hard to replace it, but know that you may have some issues with these replacement screens, so check the seller's return policies carefully before you buy. I'd pay more for one with liberal returns.

Dared

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Alternatively you can buy the genuine housing from stellatech.com or rounded.com, but it will cost you much more than the screens you see on ebay

pulkit10

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Just buy a spare screen on eBay and do it yourself. Plenty of videos to show you how to do it and it's not that bad.

Be aware though, the last two screens I have received have had major issues (part of the same purchase/return, same supplier). Hopefully your luck is better than mine.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I just ordered a new display from the Bay. Arrives on Saturday. Most come with all the tools needed to change it out. Great instructional on Youtube. Will do the change out this weekend. Cost 55 bucks for the display and tools. If it's as good as OEM it's a good deal.

I paid a few dollars extra to use a California seller in case I need to send it back for any reason. Most are coming from China.

Cane Prevost

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Got display installed easy enough. Going to send it back. The LCD is loose on one side. Will try ordering a good condition used one so I get an OEM part. The procedure was pretty easy. Once you go through it once you could do it pretty easy without a guide. The phone is pretty easy to take apart. The only tricky part is that the vibration motor sometimes stops working after a screen replacement. Likely because the pins on the motherboard aren't in contact with the contacts on the motor. A bit of creative shimming fixed it for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99