Trying to determine if battery is going out on 1520

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
A month or so ago, I noticed my Lumia 1520 couldn't keep charges or something. I'll have phone charged to 100%, but after 15-30 minutes I get low battery pop up and it shuts off. Sometimes, after plugging it in, I find it actually isn't low and can work with it more once I manually turn on battery saver (which won't turn on automatically anymore). Other times it is actually at 2% or whatever.

In the beginning, I dismissed it as buggy Insider Builds. But after updates weren't fixing it, despite reporting it once or twice in Windows Feedback, I backed up in the insider rings. That didn't help over time either. So I did a full reset, got out of insider builds and to the official AT&T build they sent out recently. Still didn't remedy it.

So.... Thoughts? Is it a battery going bad? Or Windows 10 being persnickety?

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Have a search there are one or two mentions from me on the same symptoms, they were identical to yours, sometimes I had plenty of charge left and other times I really was out of battery.

I took the decision that at 2 years and a bit old and you having to take the phone apart to replace it (Plenty of how to do it video's about), and I was starting to also have the odd microphone issue, it was time for a change.

I was going to wait for the HP Elite X3 but instead went for the 950XL and I am very pleased with the new phone after a couple of months, Continuum is fantastic, the handset being a very tiny bit smaller is so much easier to use (And I liked my 1520) and is just an all round superb phone.

I am 100% sure it was the battery rather than Windows 10.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just looked on Amazon, and maybe ?20 but like always you need to be careful when buying on the web, lots of knock off batteries about.

As mentioned I thought life would be difficult without my 1520, when in fact with my 950 XL it's actually got better.

weaverly

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I browsed around and saw some cheap ones and kits. I'd buy a 950XL in a heartbeat, if it weren't for the fact that I can't afford a premium (or even mid-range) phone right now. I'm looking at options, even considering the Amazon Prime (ad-supported) Blu Android phones. I always had a soft spot for Blu devices. I'm just bummed. Loved this phone.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
although I am sold on buying unlocked from now on (Got my 950XL from Microsoft) and then shopping around for a good sim only deal, you still have the option of getting an XL with a carrier.

I am sure millions of people are right and Android is fantastic, but when I have to pull my work phone out with Android on it, when I still had my 1520 or now my XL in my pocket, it's a bit like life has let you down a bit...........

If money is an issue, have a go at the battery, you haven't got a lot to lose now.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
If you're interested, weaverly, I'm about to put my black 1520 in the marketplace. Shoot me a pm, if you want. I'll still list it, though, so you can see pics...and to follow forum rules.

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
At 2 years and 1 month now my Nokia Lumia 1520 started to get exactly the same symptom as yours.
Ironically it started to worsen after the Anniversary update but I think it has something to do with the battery at its age.

Fortunately I already received my spare battery from ebay, going to install it soon.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
At 2 years and 1 month now my Nokia Lumia 1520 started to get exactly the same symptom as yours.
Ironically it started to worsen after the Anniversary update but I think it has something to do with the battery at its age.

Fortunately I already received my spare battery from ebay, going to install it soon.

Post how the process of battery changing went for you. I have one that's showing the same symptoms. Thanks in advance.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Changing the battery in a 1520 is not very hard. It is held down by some pretty strong glue. Use a little (LITTLE) heat from a blow dryer if need be. The easiest way I've found is to use a credit card or old hotel room key, and slide that under the battery to free it up. Note that it will destroy the credit card, so only use an old one that you can sacrifice.

You can actually do it w/o heat as well if use the credit card trick - just a little harder, but still not a big deal.

If you can get it out by the above, the old glue will still be on the phone, so the new battery will stick to it.

The "hardest" part of this is that you need a T2 screwdriver to remove the case (screw under the SD card holder, under the UPC code sticker). Then, you need a T5 to take off the shield over the battery.

You can buy a screwdriver kit on ebay for about $5. Just make sure it has a T2 in it. First one I got did not, so I had to wait another week on a new kit so I could get that one.

Need any help, just ask. Pretty easy DIY.

Hope that helps.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Hopefully my post above will help you a little.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, I browsed around and saw some cheap ones and kits. I'd buy a 950XL in a heartbeat, if it weren't for the fact that I can't afford a premium (or even mid-range) phone right now. I'm looking at options, even considering the Amazon Prime (ad-supported) Blu Android phones. I always had a soft spot for Blu devices. I'm just bummed. Loved this phone.

If the only thing wrong is the battery, just replace it. No need to trash the phone over a battery.

Jere Chikambure

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
funnily, it seems MY 1520 did exactly the same thing to me. after two years, the battery started acting up, and when the first windows 10 mobile update came, the battery got worse. despite saying it had 100 percent power on it, it would not last ten minutes. and when it died, it would take the better part of a whole day to get it back on.

i recently did change the battery, but now it cannot charge beyond 80 percent. i have tried resetting the phone anew and starting afresh, but the battery refuses to charge beyond 80%. its heartbreaking

caamaral

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
funnily, it seems MY 1520 did exactly the same thing to me. after two years, the battery started acting up, and when the first windows 10 mobile update came, the battery got worse. despite saying it had 100 percent power on it, it would not last ten minutes. and when it died, it would take the better part of a whole day to get it back on.

i recently did change the battery, but now it cannot charge beyond 80 percent. i have tried resetting the phone anew and starting afresh, but the battery refuses to charge beyond 80%. its heartbreaking

I need to buy battery that charge 100 percent. Somebody knows where to buy?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99