04-12-2017 02:28 AM
85 123 ...
tools
    Post Blackberry era (9650), years ago I started my romance with an HTC 8x and WP8.0/8.1 as my company issued smartphone. Sadly, she drowned about a year later, replaced by a Lumia 925. I still have her, hacked, running latest AU build as my Media Player for my car. My Lumia 830 had been my updated work smartphone for another year until recently when the company abandoned Microsoft for Apple. I can't blame them; the WP8.0+Microsoft promise of 3rd party VPN clients never materialized.

My Lumia 830 is slower than the BLU Win HD LTE I got for my wife, which isn't fast either, but trying to use it as my personal phone has become painfully slow (FB and FBM speed and crashes). I don't care about many apps or games. As long as I have (in order of needs) a superior camera, superior messaging & mail experience, Skype, FitBit, Facebook, Facebook messenger, Authenticator, Roku, NFL, Wells Fargo, HRHomeRun, Steam, for my SD Prime I don't need much else. I'm totally bought into the Microsoft ecosystem - groove, photos, Skype, office. There was a good article about iPhone and Microsoft services just a few days ago... just acknowledging that. (comment - unable to change default app for mail, music, etc. is a showstopper for usability)

So that led me to finding a brand new 1520 - yea a probably spent a little more than I should but that's OK. If you consider how often we use our devices over the course of a day, week and month total price is well worth it. For a while I was torn between the 930 and 1520... I really wanted an OLED screen (Spoiled by my 925) but the 930 lacking the 'video memory' to fully support Glance, plus the lack of an SD slot (even the 32GB version) tipped me to Nuclear Godzilla. (Just made that name up)

Why am I posting this? I dunno. Hope someone from Microsoft reads this and realizes people still want a flagship W10M device and for 'me too' replies how much we love our old (and new) Lumia devices.

Comments, stories? Cool.
    01-30-2017 04:09 PM
    Where in NC? From Oxford and now live in Arizona. Looking to get back home in the near future.
    01-30-2017 05:43 PM
    I like that green color. My 1520 is yellow, still nice, but that Lumia Green is the cat's meow.

Enjoy.
    libra89, aximtreo, jmshub and 2 others like this.
    01-30-2017 10:15 PM
    I loved my 1520. If the damned thing didn't develop touch spasms i would still be using it. Insane battery life, solid, giant screen, great screen to bezel ratio, awesome camera, wireless charging (on some), no screen burn in since IPS, micro SD slot. My only minor complaint was the so so selfie cam, but otherwise close to perfect. And I weirdly kind of liked having a phone that everyone thought was too big. :)
    01-30-2017 10:48 PM
    My wife getting bored with her red 1520, been asking for a secondary device in the shape of a 7-8in budget android tablet, mainly for apps not found on W10. Poor girl, I'll probably will get that. (her actual complains revolves around the bugs in FB and disappearing photo folders that plague WhatsApp)... and do a simple body switch with a spare yellow 1520.... which was her phone to begin with ..and have peace in the household !!!

.... !!!
    01-31-2017 12:59 AM
    dang i miss my 1520, if it wasnt for the LCD flexing and breaking, i'd still have it.
    01-31-2017 10:35 AM
    Congrats! I hope that you enjoy it :)
    01-31-2017 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the message ITmanagerNC! Always nice to read people's stories on how they got to where they are today.

So that led me to finding a brand new 1520 - yea i probably spent a little more than I should but that's OK
    You cant put a price on something you love! Back in 2010 i think. I purchased my Blackberry 8520 for quite a bit more than i should have but i wanted it so much that it was worth it to me. :D

If you consider how often we use our devices over the course of a day, week and month total price is well worth it
    This is exactly how i feel. If I'm using something everyday for either work or personal the price is always worth it because it helps me make my day better. :)
    01-31-2017 12:27 PM
    Nice! I always loved my 1520, and that green one in particular was always such a great looking phone.
    01-31-2017 12:37 PM
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it?
    01-31-2017 02:19 PM
    Big 1520 fan myself, still using one but it's hardware is just soooooo unreliable! Buying a secondhand one is a big risk , certainly if the previous owner has it repaired (opened up).
    We have the notorious phantom touch, failing microphone and navigation lights (related), proximity sensor problems and vibration probles are also quit common.
    Have a green one myself, the coolest phone ever! (IF it works )
    01-31-2017 04:45 PM
    $179. Should arrive tomorrow... The seller's rating is high so I'm counting on it truly being a Brand New, unopened box. I worry a little about the health of the battery if it's never been charged. We'll see. There are other S&Ds that rate 9/10 for only ~$15 less so that's why i went with Brand New.
    01-31-2017 06:14 PM
    Exciting to hear!

The Lumia 1520 is truly the greatest Windows Phone ever made. I love my yellow Lumia 1520 and it continues to serve me well on a daily basis.

There is nothing on the market that I'd rather use than a Lumia 1520.
    01-31-2017 06:38 PM
    I'm glad to hear their is still a strong fan base for this fantastic phone! I have had mine for about a year, and I can say that it is the best Windows mobile/phone that I have ever had. It runs Windows 10 mobile like a boss!
    01-31-2017 07:38 PM
    I loved my 1520. If the damned thing didn't develop touch spasms i would still be using it. Insane battery life, solid, giant screen, great screen to bezel ratio, awesome camera, wireless charging (on some), no screen burn in since IPS, micro SD slot. My only minor complaint was the so so selfie cam, but otherwise close to perfect. And I weirdly kind of liked having a phone that everyone thought was too big. :)
    Mine had that touch thingy too, it comes and goes as frequent as when I keep it in the back pocket. .. seriously, it doesn't happen now... not sure why, perhaps those updates fixed it.

.... !!!
    01-31-2017 08:13 PM
    $179. Should arrive tomorrow... The seller's rating is high so I'm counting on it truly being a Brand New, unopened box. I worry a little about the health of the battery if it's never been charged. We'll see. There are other S&Ds that rate 9/10 for only ~$15 less so that's why i went with Brand New.
    Read about the phantom touch problems.
    This comes from flexing the screen. Never carry it in a tight pocket. Take it out of your pocket before you sit down.
    I have had mine for 3 years, no phantom touches
    01-31-2017 09:16 PM
    Hopefully they will release a high end device this year. There's still a great demand for Windows phone especially for those who prefer a simple yet productive OS.
    02-01-2017 02:12 AM
    Looking foreword to seeing the pictures of your phone.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    02-02-2017 05:28 PM
    iPhone, meet Godzilla.
    wp_20170201_21_41_34_pro-1.jpg
    02-03-2017 02:02 PM
    I too just purchased a black 1520 on eBay for a real good price. Original box, paperwork, charger, and an incipio feather case were included. I Came from an iPhone 7, (eventually go back to) and have been using the 1520 for 2 weeks now on Windows 10. No issues so far!
    02-03-2017 03:10 PM
    So I've been using the device for a few days now and I'm a bit concerned about the touchscreen. It seems a little flaky on when and where I tap... as if its not consistent with touch detection and in some cases, calibration? My 830 was quite consistent and precise. I don't think this falls into the 'Phantom Touch' because that's the opposite.

So, do I have a problem?
    02-05-2017 07:06 PM
    I would guess that the phone you bought has been worked on. Maybe it's had its screen or digitizer replaced at some point. If the work was done by a non-pro in somebody's bedroom, then you might be experiencing their unhandy work. Have you tried a reset...Soft and/or hard?
    libra89, RumoredNow and aximtreo like this.
    02-05-2017 09:21 PM
    I've had my Lumia 1520 for more than 2 years now and the thing just keeps chugging along.
    aximtreo and chris6mafia like this.
    02-06-2017 04:49 PM
    yea, it's been soft and hard reset multiple times during the W10 upgrade. As I type this now it pressure in different areas don't respond to touch the first time, then the same pressure 2nd or third time does. It's most noticeable, obviously, with the keypad as well as other small fine gadgets. I'm going to complain and return. It was advertised as new unopened, unused but there was a small scuff on the outside perimeter of the camera lens so it wasn't.
    02-06-2017 06:00 PM
    Yeah. I'd start that return process pronto. Sorry to hear that it didn't work out. Good luck.
    02-06-2017 07:21 PM
85 123 ...