Just Bought another 1520

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
2 years ago I bought a lightly used and cosmetically perfect 1520 ( At&T 16 gb version). Worked great for a long time...then a few months back started having problems holding a charge or taking pics without it shutting down. So I ordered a replacement battery online and received it with a kit to open the phone and get to the battery. A screw I needed to remove to get to the connection was stripped and to make a long story short I broke it.
Had insurance but the deduct is 199 and they would only replace the phone with an exploding Samsung model. Said screw that and went to Amazon and bought a new version of the exact phone ($210). It has worked awesome ever since I got it and am in the Fast Ring OS. Works way better than the other one ever did. My point is this phone does everything I could want in a phone. Glance, Passive Voice Activation, outstanding camera with really good video features that I use all the time as PGA golf instructor. Microsoft is going to have to do significantly better with whatever they release next for me to want to spend any money. I believe I can wait this thing out as long as Satya wants to make us wait. What are your plans for "in the meantime?"

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Cool. Glad you are liking the 1520. It still is a really nice phone.
Question for you: Is the 1520 still getting W10M updates? I was thinking about getting another one myself, but didn't want to start out stuck on an old build. Thanks.

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I'm taking delivery of my Lumia 1520 tomorrow, just got bored with Android and Apple, I've been using the iPhone 7 for a few months and its lovely but wanted to get something different, I know there will be things (especially app wise) that I'll miss but I prefer the better IQ from the 1520, which as someone who loves taking photos is important to me. I would also like to know whether the WM10 updates are still coming for the 1520? thanks

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I am getting the updates with no issues. Am currently running 15025.1001. Performance is very good with the only thing being that I can't change the color on Glance..it is stuck on the night mode in Blue...certainly a very minor problem. Feel free with any other questions

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I should also mention that I have a 32g SD card (Class 10) for a total of 48gb storage. That also woks perfectly. I keep all video's and pics in the phone storage and all the music stored on the SD card.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Cool. Glad you are liking the 1520. It still is a really nice phone.
Question for you: Is the 1520 still getting W10M updates? I was thinking about getting another one myself, but didn't want to start out stuck on an old build. Thanks.

My 1520 came with 8.1. Methodically I upgraded until I had the most recent fast release. It seems to be very stable. I'm sure at some point, the Insider program will pass the 1520 on by but right now, you can get the most recent release.

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
just updated to 8.1 but now when I do a search for updates it says my phone is up to date?? do I need to join the windows insider program to get 10 on my 1520?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
just updated to 8.1 but now when I do a search for updates it says my phone is up to date?? do I need to join the windows insider program to get 10 on my 1520?

You have to download Upgrade Advisor from the Store and then run it. After it runs, go to settings->phone update to get Windows 10.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure which version you will get after you download upgrade advisor. It will probably not be the most current version in order to get that. You need to be in the slow ring or the fast ring of windows insider.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure which version you will get after you download upgrade advisor. It will probably not be the most current version in order to get that. You need to be in the slow ring or the fast ring of windows insider.

My 1520 definitely went past AU and was on 14393.xxx officially (never Insider) before I reset it to 8.1 to retire it to camera/travel aid duty...

ViveLeRoi

Jan 23, 2017
Visit site
Yes, I'm taking delivery of my Lumia 1520 tomorrow, just got bored with Android and Apple, I've been using the iPhone 7 for a few months and its lovely but wanted to get something different, I know there will be things (especially app wise) that I'll miss but I prefer the better IQ from the 1520, which as someone who loves taking photos is important to me. I would also like to know whether the WM10 updates are still coming for the 1520? thanks
I'm happy that the 1520 is still available on amazon as are some 1020s. Thus far, nothing out of Microsoft has eclipsed the performance and quality of those two phones. While on paper, the newer phones may have an advantage in processor speed etc. In real world use, you just don't see it. I wish Microsoft would give me a reason to upgrade to new hardware (other than phasing out support for my current devices) but sadly it looks like the surface phone will be the first opportunity.

Chemy JMHT

VR Expert
Nov 6, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I am getting the updates with no issues. Am currently running 15025.1001. Performance is very good with the only thing being that I can't change the color on Glance..it is stuck on the night mode in Blue...certainly a very minor problem. Feel free with any other questions

It's nice to see you find what suits you!

By the color maybe you can try one of those skins from dbrand or the other brands around (I don't remember pretty good) are cheap and protect your device.

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
Had my 1520 for a week now, running 14393.726 Windows 10 and I must say I'm impressed, nice and stable, with some tweaking I easily get 2 days+ battery life, and most apps I use are available, just wish there was a folder sync type app, I dump songs into a folder on my PC and dont want to have to remember to copy them to phone, would like an app that syncs changes down to the phone but havent been able to find an app like that (as yet). 1520 is beautifully made and yes am enjoying not having just another Android Clone phone :)

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
has anyone found the following issue, when battery saver is on and an alarm goes off the sound is very distorted, if I snooze the alarm for 5 min and take phone off battery saver the alarm sound returns to normal (no distortion)? so far phone is going great, battery life is a treat, 41% left and been 51 hrs since last charge! brilliant!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte