So who is still rocking a 1520 these days?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Curious to know who is still using the 1520 these days and why?

I'm looking at potentially picking one up and curious to know what people think of it and how it's running on w10.

Peter Burns

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
Just replaced my blackberry passport with one. Upgraded to win10. I love it, for a not so new phone its very good. Get a lot of questions about it too. Overall its a very nice device.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Just replaced my blackberry passport with one. Upgraded to win10. I love it, for a not so new phone its very good. Get a lot of questions about it too. Overall its a very nice device.

I was just using the Passport SE for awhile recently. Love that phone. One of my all time favs.

Awhispersecho

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I was using 1 and the battery was dying so I just purchased a 950Xl. Which by the way, is a great phone and has worked flawlessly for me. But, I miss my 1520 and might buy another 1. I just can't give up the desire to have that huge screen.I will tell you this, the last update for W10M that came out a few weeks agi changed everything. 1520 was running fantastic after that and the 950XL is now running fantastic as well. I'm referring to the production release and not any fast ring or anything. 1520 is awesome, having said that, I now feel if the screen size difference doesn't bother you, the 950 XL is great too.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I was using 1 and the battery was dying so I just purchased a 950Xl. Which by the way, is a great phone and has worked flawlessly for me. But, I miss my 1520 and might buy another 1. I just can't give up the desire to have that huge screen.I will tell you this, the last update for W10M that came out a few weeks agi changed everything. 1520 was running fantastic after that and the 950XL is now running fantastic as well. I'm referring to the production release and not any fast ring or anything. 1520 is awesome, having said that, I now feel if the screen size difference doesn't bother you, the 950 XL is great too.

Well I just purchased the 1520 as I got a great deal on one and I'm going to give it a go for awhile. I had been looking at the 950 and 950 XL as well as the idol 4s but some of the reviews and things I've read states the 1520 was pretty awesome and not that far behind so figured for the price difference id start there.

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
WM10 is such a different animal compared to even 6 months ago, I have it on my 1520 and its superb, 3 to 4 days battery, no freezing, very stable, integration is great, I see no issues with IQ, like I mentioned earlier I had an iPhone 7 for 2 months but the IQ is poor (really) Apple have gone over to a very processed high NR look to photos (detail is obliterated even at base ISO) and I was tired of the Apple/Android clone phone wars so decided to give Windows a whirl, and am really enjoying it, sure the app selection is not wow but I have 90% of my needs covered. Build quality of the 1520 is superb to.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How did you find difference between w10 and 8.1? Sorry if it's in that thread and I'll read through it later when I have some more time.

At the time I reverted my 1520 to 8.1, my main reasons for doing so were:
  • It helped me commit to not using the phone as my daily driver - 8.1 becomes less suitable for daily use over time as the app support dwindles for that version
  • No worries about updates - WaaS regularly pushes updates to devices in W10M and that is a good thing for those devices, but it could be disruptive for a special purpose device that might not get connected to networks regularly
  • For Lumia 1520 (and the companion L1020 I also have set aside for special purpose) Windows Phone 8.1 is a highly stable and known quantity with a wealth of features and options for camera
  • Subjectively, the camera processing algorithms are better on 8.1 than W10M (although the gap is closing over time)
  • Empirically, the camera processing times are shorter on 8.1 than W10M and resolve with higher reliability (although the gap is closing over time)
I'm certainly not recommending 8.1 as a daily driver. In fact if I was using my 1520 with a SIM and carrying it as a phone it would be on W10M.

I was simply answering the question this thread poses: I am still rocking a 1520, but...

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
At the time I reverted my 1520 to 8.1, my main reasons for doing so were:
  • It helped me commit to not using the phone as my daily driver - 8.1 becomes less suitable for daily use over time as the app support dwindles for that version
  • No worries about updates - WaaS regularly pushes updates to devices in W10M and that is a good thing for those devices, but it could be disruptive for a special purpose device that might not get connected to networks regularly
  • For Lumia 1520 (and the companion L1020 I also have set aside for special purpose) Windows Phone 8.1 is a highly stable and known quantity with a wealth of features and options for camera
  • Subjectively, the camera processing algorithms are better on 8.1 than W10M (although the gap is closing over time)
  • Empirically, the camera processing times are shorter on 8.1 than W10M and resolve with higher reliability (although the gap is closing over time)
I'm certainly not recommending 8.1 as a daily driver. In fact if I was using my 1520 with a SIM and carrying it as a phone it would be on W10M.

I was simply answering the question this thread poses: I am still rocking a 1520, but...

For sure and I appreciate the insight. I was curious to know how well it ran w10 and if there were any stutters or hang ups mainly.

Peter Burns

Mar 28, 2017
Visit site
I was just using the Passport SE for awhile recently. Love that phone. One of my all time favs.

I loved the blackberry passport but rim pretty much abandoned bb10 and i refuse to use android. Tried a priv for a few weeks and could not get passed the android software. Not mention google up your *** everywhere you go. I love the windows phone interface and overall uniqueness of the os.

ladydias

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using one. It's a great phone but I'm considering upgrading to the 950Xl at some point because the camera is better (the one on the 1520 isn't bad, just old) and taking good pictures on my phone is very important to me.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I'm still using one. It's a great phone but I'm considering upgrading to the 950Xl at some point because the camera is better (the one on the 1520 isn't bad, just old) and taking good pictures on my phone is very important to me.

Interesting. Has anyone here used both? What is the difference in camera quality?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. Has anyone here used both? What is the difference in camera quality?

I've not used both, but on paper and from samples I've seen the 950/XL is much better in low light. The major difference is the aperture. 950 series widens it to f/1.9 vs the 1520's f/2.4.

950 series also has a very slightly larger sensor with a larger maximum usable portion when shooting 16:9 aspect ratio. Lumia 1520/930/Icon yield 16MP on a 20MP sensor with a 1/2.5" size and 950/950XL yield 18MP on a 20MP sensor with a 1/2.4" size.

Another difference would be in the flash: 1520 has dual LED with dual tone, but 950 series upgrades to triple LED w/ RGB. Neither of which is as nice as the Xenon flash on the 1020 and 928, IMHO.

Capture01.png

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for that. I'm doubting there will be a huge difference in general day to day use? I mean I'm not a huge photography buff and I'll only be taking casual pictures of the kids and different things like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786