The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
05-16-2017 07:03 AM
92 1234
tools
    I honestly don't seem to ever end up with a ton of apps I keep or use. I just like to test them out and see if any end up making the list.
    Ah okay, I see. Going to offer some randoms to you.

-Transparent Tile+/Start Perfect (one is the free one, the other one is the paid version) for making popular apps have a transparent tile and also blank tiles to copy those cool layouts you see.
    -Monument Browser is a nice alternative to Edge and it also has dark mode
    -MyTube is so nice as a YouTube alternative.
    -GroupMe (official app) is nice here, Slack (official too) is alright but a decent app.
    -The official Twitter app is pretty decent too.

I just learned about App It! which basically makes the mobile site look like an app, but I haven't tried that yet.
    meattray and RumoredNow like this.
    04-14-2017 11:18 AM
    Thanks! I'll give them a go today.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    04-14-2017 11:30 AM
    Here are some suggestions.

The best YouTube client for Windows 10 hands down
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/mytube-beta/9wzdncrdt29j?tduid=(34c8e23409c97a0c47f1cbff326f731a)(263915)(2775081)()()

Sick and Tired of slow Facebook and Messenger? Try SlimSocial
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/slimsocial-for-facebook/9nblggh4vmr8?ocid=9nblggh4vmr8_ORSEARCH_Bing

Camera & Photography
    - Sight Camera360
    - ProShot
    - Fotor
    - Rawr

Social
    - Facebook
    - Messenger
    - Viber
    - Instagram

Media
    - VLC

Misc.
    - mrRemote for Kodi if you use Kodi for your media consumption

Games
    - Hitman Go, Lara Croft Go or Deus Ex Go (On sale right now)
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    04-15-2017 06:18 AM
    More great suggestions thank you!
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-15-2017 09:48 AM
    Been using as my daily driver for the weekend.

1. Battery life seems fairly subpar compared to my previous BlackBerry and Android devices.
    2. Really like the camera. Seem to be getting some good shots of the kids. It's been crappy outside and raining so haven't been able to venture out for many other shots.

3. The Apps. I'm not sure but it doesn't really seem like a lot of the apps are optimized very well that I've downloaded from the store. Some just seem to hang or go a little slower.

4. I like Edge as a browser but it doesn't seem to work the best with all sites. Doesn't give me the drop down and whatnot for some sites. Also it just chugs that battery that can't really use for any extended period.

Otherwise I am enjoying the phone so far. I'd kind of been going back to smaller phones but have to say I really like this extra real estate.
    RumoredNow and libra89 like this.
    04-16-2017 02:35 PM
    Been using as my daily driver for the weekend.

1. Battery life seems fairly subpar compared to my previous BlackBerry and Android devices.
    2. Really like the camera. Seem to be getting some good shots of the kids. It's been crappy outside and raining so haven't been able to venture out for many other shots.

3. The Apps. I'm not sure but it doesn't really seem like a lot of the apps are optimized very well that I've downloaded from the store. Some just seem to hang or go a little slower.

4. I like Edge as a browser but it doesn't seem to work the best with all sites. Doesn't give me the drop down and whatnot for some sites. Also it just chugs that battery that can't really use for any extended period.

Otherwise I am enjoying the phone so far. I'd kind of been going back to smaller phones but have to say I really like this extra real estate.
    Thank you for reporting back and sharing your experience!

3. You have a good point there. Apps designed for Windows 10 seem to work better but not always.
    4. Yeah I can agree with this. Edge is an unfortunate battery drain and I hate that it is. It would be nice if MS could find a way to improve that. For me, extended uses are reading ebooks and this drain still happens on a 950, regardless of if I disabled it from running in the background.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    04-16-2017 09:32 PM
    Thank you for reporting back and sharing your experience!

3. You have a good point there. Apps designed for Windows 10 seem to work better but not always.
    4. Yeah I can agree with this. Edge is an unfortunate battery drain and I hate that it is. It would be nice if MS could find a way to improve that. For me, extended uses are reading ebooks and this drain still happens on a 950, regardless of if I disabled it from running in the background.
    Yeah it's been interesting. I've tried really hard to really love this device because it has several features I love but there's just a few things I struggle with.

If they could optimize Edge so I could use it instead of apps without ridiculous drain I'd have no problem using this as one of my drivers. Until then... Not sure.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-16-2017 09:50 PM
    Yeah it's been interesting. I've tried really hard to really love this device because it has several features I love but there's just a few things I struggle with.

If they could optimize Edge so I could use it instead of apps without ridiculous drain I'd have no problem using this as one of my drivers. Until then... Not sure.
    Considering what you're dealing with, I can actually somewhat relate to how you feel with the struggles.

The Edge thing really annoys me so at this point, I'm with you. I can't imagine dealing with it and meh battery life together (on my 950) when I have other phones that have better battery life and way less of a drain.

You have to do what works best for you, whether it is just using this as a camera and wifi device or using it part-time or both even. To me, it makes no sense to sacrifice crucial things that will affect your day to day usage in a way that is noticeable.
    Scienceguy Labs likes this.
    04-16-2017 09:57 PM
    Considering what you're dealing with, I can actually somewhat relate to how you feel with the struggles.

The Edge thing really annoys me so at this point, I'm with you. I can't imagine dealing with it and meh battery life together (on my 950) when I have other phones that have better battery life and way less of a drain.

You have to do what works best for you, whether it is just using this as a camera and wifi device or using it part-time or both even. To me, it makes no sense to sacrifice crucial things that will affect your day to day usage in a way that is noticeable.
    Yup exactly. I'm going to give it a go for a couple more days to say I've given it an honest go and will decide from there. Thanks for following along.
    libra89 likes this.
    04-16-2017 10:14 PM
    Guys and gals, Uh oh. 1520 is off the Creator Update list. Without, re-litigating if that was a good idea, (after all it's done), how does this change things for us?

Specifically, I'm on Creators Update (from Insiders Fast Ring), so what happens going forward? I'll stay on Release Preview, so maybe will pick up some updates, right? And, if my 1520 becomes unworkable on Creators Update, what are my options? Roll back to Windows 8 and rebuild from there to Anniversary Update? Can I roll back? Anyone have some informed insights?
    libra89 likes this.
    04-16-2017 10:44 PM
    Guys and gals, Uh oh. 1520 is off the Creator Update list. Without, re-litigating if that was a good idea, (after all it's done), how does this change things for us?

Specifically, I'm on Creators Update (from Insiders Fast Ring), so what happens going forward? I'll stay on Release Preview, so maybe will pick up some updates, right? And, if my 1520 becomes unworkable on Creators Update, what are my options? Roll back to Windows 8 and rebuild from there to Anniversary Update? Can I roll back? Anyone have some informed insights?
    Yes, you can still use the WDRT to roll the device back as I did that previously.
    04-17-2017 07:26 AM
    For 1520, WDRT takes you to 8.1 + Denim final update...

If you want back on W10M use Upgrade Advisor.
    04-17-2017 08:00 AM
    Just because I could I tweaked my registry settings to get the latest insider update. I'll let you guys know how it goes and any issues this device has with it.
    libra89 and Scienceguy Labs like this.
    04-17-2017 07:40 PM
    Thanks guys. But the link to Upgrade Advisory didn't work for me, and I don't see it in the store. I'm on 15063.138, if that helps.
    Last edited by Captain_Eric; 04-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.
    04-17-2017 08:48 PM
    Thanks guys. But the link to Upgrade Advisory didn't work for me, and I don't see it in the store. I'm on 1506.138, if that helps.
    Did you roll back using the WDRT? I believe that is a W10 build if I'm not mistaken so you wouldn't need the upgrade advisor. You only require that if you roll back to windows 8 and want to get back to w10.
    04-18-2017 12:15 AM
    media: CCPlayer, foobar2000
    pictures and photography: hd photo viewer, office lens, sun tracker
    general: onePedia, slack
    meattray likes this.
    04-18-2017 05:12 AM
    Thanks guys. But the link to Upgrade Advisory didn't work for me, and I don't see it in the store. I'm on 1506.138, if that helps.
    Hey, I'm sorry... I think Msft borked the Upgrade Advisor just after their short list of phones going to Creators Update.

Did you roll back using the WDRT? I believe that is a W10 build if I'm not mistaken...
    That would be new. I'm at work 12 hours today so I can't verify this with my 1520. Last time I used WDRT on my 1520 it reverted to 8.1 and I left it there intentionally.
    04-18-2017 05:33 AM
    Hey, I'm sorry... I think Msft borked the Upgrade Advisor just after their short list of phones going to Creators Update.

That would be new. I'm at work 12 hours today so I can't verify this with my 1520. Last time I used WDRT on my 1520 it reverted to 8.1 and I left it there intentionally.
    It did the same with mine about a week ago.
    04-18-2017 07:38 AM
    Another issue relevant to this thread: The apps on my 1520 are old, at least older than my 640XL. Anyone else?

My 1520.3 is on 15063.138, which I installed via Fast Ring last week, followed by a hard reset, and clean install of all my apps. My 640XL is on 15063.3, which was apparently automatically updated because I'm Insider Release Preview.

None of the Microsoft apps on the 1520 are current, not as current as the 640XL anyway.

What and the heck is going on here?
    04-18-2017 11:02 AM
    I have not rolled back anything, not yet anyway.

I am just thinking about my path back to Anniversary Update if/when the Creators Update isn't workable any more, due to lack of updates on my 1520.

If I got this right, 1) I'll use WDRT to roll back to 8.1 and 2) use the (now restored, apparently) Upgrade Advisor to advance to Anniversary Update.

Right?

Did you roll back using the WDRT? I believe that is a W10 build if I'm not mistaken so you wouldn't need the upgrade advisor. You only require that if you roll back to windows 8 and want to get back to w10.
    04-18-2017 11:09 AM
    I have not rolled back anything, not yet anyway.

I am just thinking about my path back to Anniversary Update if/when the Creators Update isn't workable any more, due to lack of updates on my 1520.

If I got this right, 1) I'll use WDRT to roll back to 8.1 and 2) use the (now restored, apparently) Upgrade Advisor to advance to Anniversary Update.

Right?
    That's correct
    RumoredNow and Captain_Eric like this.
    04-18-2017 11:33 AM
    Is anyone having trouble after downloading 15063.138? I downloaded it on Fast Ring to my
    1520.3 and clean installed all of my apps. But problems:

1) I don't get current apps and
    2) Bluetooth fails on one of my speakers (can connect, but can't hear anything),
    3) another problem that I can't think of right now.

I post (again) because this is worrisome. Considering another hard reset if I'm the only one. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Captain_Eric; 04-18-2017 at 09:45 PM.
    04-18-2017 06:22 PM
    I get 3 to 4 days from my battery, I have most of the Edge sync stuff set to off and only a few social apps allowed in background, wifi on all the time, screen set to medium brightness auto can be to erratic at times. at night I turn on power saver (put it off when I wake up)
    04-19-2017 07:38 AM
    Is anyone having trouble after downloading 15063.138? I downloaded it on Fast Ring to my
    1520.3 and clean installed all of my apps. But problems:

1) I don't get current apps and
    2) Bluetooth fails on one of my speakers (can connect, but can't hear anything),
    3) another problem that I can't think of right now.

I post (again) because this is worrisome. Considering another hard reset if I'm the only one. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.
    I haven't noticed any issues. I'm on the latest build (Feature 2) as I changed some registry settings to keep getting the additional updates. I know it's a bit of a pain but perhaps you could try using the WDRT and rolling back and then updating to a build that worked a little better?
    04-19-2017 08:49 AM
    I get 3 to 4 days from my battery, I have most of the Edge sync stuff set to off and only a few social apps allowed in background, wifi on all the time, screen set to medium brightness auto can be to erratic at times. at night I turn on power saver (put it off when I wake up)
    That's fantastic. I think I would get that battery life if I didn't use the phone very much. It's mainly when using Edge it seems that the phone just DRAINSSSSS for me and I do have to use Edge for a decent amount of things as there aren't the apps to support it.

I think it may also be a radio issue or signal issue as I don't seem to get the same signal strength with this phone as I have with others.
    04-19-2017 08:50 AM
92 1234