Using the 1520 in 2017 - My Experience

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Using the 1520 in 2017 - My Exprience

HI there, new to these forums.. not sure where to ask, so plz forgive in advance.
I am really curious to try out a windows phone but cant decide between the 1520 and the 950 xl. recommendation? also am in Canada and the only place where I can buy is ebay or amazon.. recommendations? please and thank you...

While the 1520 is larger and cheaper, another thing you have to consider is future updates. The 950 XL will see more updates from Microsoft, while the 1520 is currently not getting the Creators Update. I'm really hoping Microsoft changes this as I'm also a Canadian interested in getting a 1520 later this year, so it's just something you have to bear in mind.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

As far as apps go - Facebook and messenger as most know loads pretty slow. A lot faster than on my 640 but still pretty slow. I'm really not a heavy user of either though so not a big deal.
Haven't had a chance to dive into the camera..more later.
For Facebook, try an app called SlimSocial. I have heard that it works pretty well and also has dark theme too!

I'm curious what happens when you search mTalk or Tapatalk in the store. Any luck with doing those?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

The app shows up but just says currently not available?

Not sure if it's a country thing or if it's just off the app store? Weird that I can see it but not download.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Hmm I see what both of you are talking about now. This is a bummer because it would really change your forum experience. :(

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

Hmm I see what both of you are talking about now. This is a bummer because it would really change your forum experience. :(

Yeah definitely a real bummer. Would have been nice to have for sure.

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site

I also had to decide between the 950XL and the 1520, for me the build quality was the deciding factor, the 1520 is simply superb build wise whereas the 950 XL is a bit mediocre and plasticky, but it does have USB OTG and will be getting the CU, some doubt as to whether the 1520 will, nothing confirmed yet though. Edge eats a lots of battery especially if sync is active, I killed background sync for Edge, theme, etc, as it does impact battery...

Last edited:

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

So been using off and on for a few days and I'm not sure on the device. The camera is nice, the build quality feels sturdy and if there were still the mtalk app to access the forums I would probably be more sold. I don't require a lot of apps and can use the browser for the majority but this seemed to eat the battery like crazy when using edge for an extended period of time.

It's a nice phone but the size makes it so I'm unlikely to carry as a secondary device as I still require a separate device for a few apps I use on a day to day basis.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Well, that's too bad, meattray. I'm mulling over what to do with my 1520 as well. It's just such a nice looking and feeling phone. I hate to let it go, but it's just not getting used.
I don't know what's up with mTalk, though. I have it on my 1520. Have you gone into your list of owned apps in the store? Sorry if that's already been mentioned. That's where I downloaded it from to my 1520.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I never had mtalk before so it's not in my list. :( honestly too bad as its a fun device

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I also recently upgraded to a brand-new 1520 from my 640 XL and I couldn't be happier with my new phone!

Bigger and better screen, the phone is faster at every task I've thrown at it and getting the CU on slow ring seems to have made the phone even and more stable than it was.

I no longer get that weird freezing while playing games (even older games like NBA Jam and Temple Run 2) that the 640 XL gave me and the camera takes great pictures!!

I don't use Facebook, but the Twitter app works great. I also use the Wallet app for all my loyalty cards and pinned a few websites to my start screen using "pin it" so that they look like actual apps.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

I also recently upgraded to a brand-new 1520 from my 640 XL and I couldn't be happier with my new phone!

Bigger and better screen, the phone is faster at every task I've thrown at it and getting the CU on slow ring seems to have made the phone even and more stable than it was.

I no longer get that weird freezing while playing games (even older games like NBA Jam and Temple Run 2) that the 640 XL gave me and the camera takes great pictures!!

I don't use Facebook, but the Twitter app works great. I also use the Wallet app for all my loyalty cards and pinned a few websites to my start screen using "pin it" so that they look like actual apps.

How do you find the battery drain when using Edge?

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

So far on the CU, it has been better than the 640 XL was. I watch videos on Fite.tv and YouTube and it drains no faster than Netflix or Hulu do.

bonko

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site

HI there, new to these forums.. not sure where to ask, so plz forgive in advance.
I am really curious to try out a windows phone but cant decide between the 1520 and the 950 xl. recommendation? also am in Canada and the only place where I can buy is ebay or amazon.. recommendations? please and thank you...

I would suggest you try a 950XL. My main reason is that the 1520, while being a great phone - I have two of them - is getting physically old and parts might be wearing out - yes, electronic parts do wear out.

My first 1520 - its internal microphone stopped working, and I could only use it as a speakerphone, so I got another one last year. Now that display has some very fine vertical lines running from the top to the bottom. Phone works, but the display does not look good.

Other than that, the phones are truly wonderful, and I find them much better for my needs as compared to Android - I bought a Samsung S7 and stopped using it, or an iPhone with its antiquated ten-year old user-interface.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site

So I said I wasn't going to use this...but I'm back on it. I'll update some more over this weekend with how things go.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Curious what kind of battery life you guys get or any tweaks you make? Things I've read stated this got great battery and granted I haven't had it up and running long so not sure if things need to sync and take a bit or what but curious to hear of others usage.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm one of the lucky ones. My yellow beast so has excellent battery life. I take it off the charger at 5 am. Use it throughout the day. I'm not a hardcore user, but I do constantly check emails, reply to various texts, listen to music on my commutes, etc. No gaming. When I go to bed at around 10:30 or so, I still have around 35% left. Not awesome. But not bad for such an old phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss