Using the 1520 in 2017 - My Experience

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Guys and gals, Uh oh. 1520 is off the Creator Update list. Without, re-litigating if that was a good idea, (after all it's done), how does this change things for us?

Specifically, I'm on Creators Update (from Insiders Fast Ring), so what happens going forward? I'll stay on Release Preview, so maybe will pick up some updates, right? And, if my 1520 becomes unworkable on Creators Update, what are my options? Roll back to Windows 8 and rebuild from there to Anniversary Update? Can I roll back? Anyone have some informed insights?

Yes, you can still use the WDRT to roll the device back as I did that previously.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Just because I could I tweaked my registry settings to get the latest insider update. I'll let you guys know how it goes and any issues this device has with it.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Thanks guys. But the link to Upgrade Advisory didn't work for me, and I don't see it in the store. I'm on 15063.138, if that helps.

Last edited:

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Thanks guys. But the link to Upgrade Advisory didn't work for me, and I don't see it in the store. I'm on 1506.138, if that helps.

Did you roll back using the WDRT? I believe that is a W10 build if I'm not mistaken so you wouldn't need the upgrade advisor. You only require that if you roll back to windows 8 and want to get back to w10.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys. But the link to Upgrade Advisory didn't work for me, and I don't see it in the store. I'm on 1506.138, if that helps.

Hey, I'm sorry... I think Msft borked the Upgrade Advisor just after their short list of phones going to Creators Update.

Did you roll back using the WDRT? I believe that is a W10 build if I'm not mistaken...

That would be new. I'm at work 12 hours today so I can't verify this with my 1520. Last time I used WDRT on my 1520 it reverted to 8.1 and I left it there intentionally.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Another issue relevant to this thread: The apps on my 1520 are old, at least older than my 640XL. Anyone else?

My 1520.3 is on 15063.138, which I installed via Fast Ring last week, followed by a hard reset, and clean install of all my apps. My 640XL is on 15063.3, which was apparently automatically updated because I'm Insider Release Preview.

None of the Microsoft apps on the 1520 are current, not as current as the 640XL anyway.

What and the heck is going on here?

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
I have not rolled back anything, not yet anyway.

I am just thinking about my path back to Anniversary Update if/when the Creators Update isn't workable any more, due to lack of updates on my 1520.

If I got this right, 1) I'll use WDRT to roll back to 8.1 and 2) use the (now restored, apparently) Upgrade Advisor to advance to Anniversary Update.

Right?

Did you roll back using the WDRT? I believe that is a W10 build if I'm not mistaken so you wouldn't need the upgrade advisor. You only require that if you roll back to windows 8 and want to get back to w10.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I have not rolled back anything, not yet anyway.

I am just thinking about my path back to Anniversary Update if/when the Creators Update isn't workable any more, due to lack of updates on my 1520.

If I got this right, 1) I'll use WDRT to roll back to 8.1 and 2) use the (now restored, apparently) Upgrade Advisor to advance to Anniversary Update.

Right?

That's correct

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Is anyone having trouble after downloading 15063.138? I downloaded it on Fast Ring to my
1520.3 and clean installed all of my apps. But problems:

1) I don't get current apps and
2) Bluetooth fails on one of my speakers (can connect, but can't hear anything),
3) another problem that I can't think of right now.

I post (again) because this is worrisome. Considering another hard reset if I'm the only one. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

JCDiederiks

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I get 3 to 4 days from my battery, I have most of the Edge sync stuff set to off and only a few social apps allowed in background, wifi on all the time, screen set to medium brightness auto can be to erratic at times. at night I turn on power saver (put it off when I wake up)

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Is anyone having trouble after downloading 15063.138? I downloaded it on Fast Ring to my
1520.3 and clean installed all of my apps. But problems:

1) I don't get current apps and
2) Bluetooth fails on one of my speakers (can connect, but can't hear anything),
3) another problem that I can't think of right now.

I post (again) because this is worrisome. Considering another hard reset if I'm the only one. Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

I haven't noticed any issues. I'm on the latest build (Feature 2) as I changed some registry settings to keep getting the additional updates. I know it's a bit of a pain but perhaps you could try using the WDRT and rolling back and then updating to a build that worked a little better?

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
I get 3 to 4 days from my battery, I have most of the Edge sync stuff set to off and only a few social apps allowed in background, wifi on all the time, screen set to medium brightness auto can be to erratic at times. at night I turn on power saver (put it off when I wake up)

That's fantastic. I think I would get that battery life if I didn't use the phone very much. It's mainly when using Edge it seems that the phone just DRAINSSSSS for me and I do have to use Edge for a decent amount of things as there aren't the apps to support it.

I think it may also be a radio issue or signal issue as I don't seem to get the same signal strength with this phone as I have with others.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
Thanks. I think I'll roll back using WDRT, and bring it back to 15063.2 (instead of 15063.138) before April 26, when I imagine I'll be completely shut out. Last night, I tried another Hard Reset, which helped the Bluetooth, but the apps still lag.
I haven't noticed any issues. I'm on the latest build (Feature 2) as I changed some registry settings to keep getting the additional updates. I know it's a bit of a pain but perhaps you could try using the WDRT and rolling back and then updating to a build that worked a little better?

ecualum96

Apr 19, 2017
Visit site
I was certainly disappointed that the 1520 was on the exclusion list for further Windows 10 updates. I love this phone even with its flaws. The big screen, UI, camera, the battery life (mine is still good), and the build quality for nearly a 4 year phone are amazing. The app gap is an issue however being able to pin websites to the start screen solves some of that. I just bought a ZTE ZMax pro for some of the apps (and still a big screen) I use frequently that are not in the Windows app store so we will see how that goes, the reviews on this phone are pretty good.

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
Downloaded the latest insider build. Sounded like a couple of fixes in edge. Haven't noticed much yet. I have my brightness set on low and it seems to be fluctuating a lot for some reason? Weird..

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Downloaded the latest insider build. Sounded like a couple of fixes in edge. Haven't noticed much yet. I have my brightness set on low and it seems to be fluctuating a lot for some reason? Weird..

Try setting the brightness to automatic, turning the phone off and on, turn the brightness back to high and then restart the phone again. Should fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss