Power button not working

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
All of the sudden my power button is not working.
Pressing it does not bring it out of sleep, put it to sleep, or shut it down.
I have managed to shut down and reset, but the problem is still there.
How can I fix this?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Can you feel it clicking?

If so, the button is probably just shot. Should be easy to replace if you are willing to and able. The power button is part of a strip that lays along the side of the LCD frame with adhesive to hold it in place. It connects at the top of the phone. Probaly a really cheap part, but you need to know how to pull your back cover off and have the right tools to safely do it for your sake and the phones.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I DO feel it clicking.
I can turn on the device if I hold the power button and click 'down' on the volume rocker.
So I know it is kinda working.
I'm willing to replace the button with a new one if I can find it on ebay or something

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
No.
I can turn it on (or unlock) by holding the power button and clicking vol-down.
But once it is on, I have to let it time out and go to sleep.
If I try to turn it off/lock by holding the power button and clicking vol-down, I go to a screen that says "New Feedback" and looks like it is for sending info about a problem with the phone/win10mobile (I have never seen this screen before now).
For some reason, my double-tap-wake-up isn't working as well.
It's like I have a virus or something

Last edited:

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I also notice I am not getting notices on my computer of texts/calls (how does that happen anyway? Cortana?).
I have tried powering all the way down, is there something else I can try before cracking it open and looking at the button? I don't want to lose any programs/settings/information.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Could try a soft reset (hold volume down + power until it reboots and vibrates), but most likely if you are seeing software issues too, then you might consider a hard reset. A hard reset would erase your apps and settings, but as long as you are on W10 Mobile you can back most if not all of them up during a restore from backup. It is not guaranteed to fix it but it is worth a shot. Also depending on which apps you have you may not be able to restore them, like if they were deprecated recently or something.

3DPiper

Dec 13, 2008
Visit site
Just to close this thread out: I replaced the cable that goes from the buttons to the motherboard and now it works!
I will probably still use the soft power button app to turn it off. That way I am only using the hard power button half the time

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs