Lumia 1520 and Windows 10 Mobile

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
I went ahead and bought a refurbished Lumia 1520 for $40 well, just because. :D However, if it does not have Windows 10 Mobile already installed when I receive it, what must I do to upgrade it please?

I know that the Windows Insider path is dead but, what about WDRT? Thanks.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I went ahead and bought a refurbished Lumia 1520 for $40 well, just because. :D However, if it does not have Windows 10 Mobile already installed when I receive it, what must I do to upgrade it please?

I know that the Windows Insider path is dead but, what about WDRT? Thanks.

Believe you have to go into the Store and search for the "Upgrade Advisor" app, d/l, open, then select Windows 10 Upgrade. Needed to do same on my L830 working like a charm.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Believe you have to go into the Store and search for the "Upgrade Advisor" app, d/l, open, then select Windows 10 Upgrade. Needed to do same on my L830 working like a charm.

Thanks, I will give it a try when I receive the phone next week. I would like to give the XL a swing but, it is not worth $200 anymore, since the OS is essentially dead. For $40 though, the 1520 is worth messing around with.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Thanks, I will give it a try when I receive the phone next week. I would like to give the XL a swing but, it is not worth $200 anymore, since the OS is essentially dead. For $40 though, the 1520 is worth messing around with.

You're welcome. Best of luck and enjoy :smile:

Gene Pineda

Aug 22, 2017
Visit site
My 1520 just broke. I only use it as a hot spot but I do use it sometimes so I want W10. Were you able to get W10 onto it? I'm worried if I buy a W8 1520, i won't be able to get it to W10.

ManofGod1000

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
My 1520 just broke. I only use it as a hot spot but I do use it sometimes so I want W10. Were you able to get W10 onto it? I'm worried if I buy a W8 1520, i won't be able to get it to W10.

I was able to get my 1520 to 10 Mobile using the upgrade advisor. (Sure wish they had not dumped 8.1 support, that was stupid fast on the 1520.) After that, I changed the settings in the registry and got the rest of the updates. You will need to reset the phone after that and set it up as new or you may have issues.

The 1520 felt real good in the hand but, the OS is dead so it would not even connect to my cars bluetooth, oh well, it is still fun to play around with. I recommend making sure whatever phone you get, that it is unlocked and if not, request an unlock to whatever phone service it was tied too. :)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
The last time I had a 1520, which I loved, I got it on W10M through the Insider Program (now long dead). @ManofGod1000, surely the phone can connect to your other Bluetooth devices? That doesn't sound like an OS platform specific problem (although it may be - going by how quickly MS is turning all of W10M off).

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
To get to 10 start off with the cleanest install possible.
Use the Windows device recovery tool to take it back to a clean 8.1 install. Do not use restore when it restarts, just use you MS account. Let all the apps and app updates install. You can remove them later.
Then use the OTC updater to get to 10. Same thing for the apps. You do not need any advisors or updaters. When it restarts you will have several updates to go through, takes a while.
When there are no more updates to 10 reset the phone from settings, system, about, more info. Do not restore. Don't use a restore point from 8.1 on a 10 phone.
You do not have to use the store to get your apps individually. Go to the store, menu( top left ), 'my library' to select the apps you want to install.

WDRT
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

OTC updater
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56726'ReadMe
To use the updater you have to read the requirements in the enclosed 'Readme' file or it will not work.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
To get to 10 start off with the cleanest install possible.
Use the Windows device recovery tool to take it back to a clean 8.1 install. Do not use restore when it restarts, just use you MS account. Let all the apps and app updates install. You can remove them later.
Then use the OTC updater to get to 10. Same thing for the apps. You do not need any advisors or updaters. When it restarts you will have several updates to go through, takes a while.
When there are no more updates to 10 reset the phone from settings, system, about, more info. Do not restore. Don't use a restore point from 8.1 on a 10 phone.
You do not have to use the store to get your apps individually. Go to the store, menu( top left ), 'my library' to select the apps you want to install.

WDRT
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12379/windows-10-mobile-device-recovery-tool-faq

OTC updater
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56726'ReadMe
To use the updater you have to read the requirements in the enclosed 'Readme' file or it will not work.

BTW The renamed cab files the otcupdater tool downloads to the packages directory can be renamed to xxxxx~.cab viewed or even sent manually to windows phones too 😁. Good for those looking for specific fw files or other singed install cabs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers