Upcoming Nokia RT Tablet Spyshot

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Because Gen 1 was a colossal failure and Microsoft should just quit after Gen 1 fails. Quit early and often is the FUD motto!

Hehe.

But I'm serious. It isn't even like Bay Trail is really going to be smashing ARM like we thought it would. There is, literally, no reason for RT to die off. We just need a bigger push from Microsoft for people to port over their programs. Also, we need more powerful API.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a Surface RT, find it useful in ways my iPad is not - Office, file management, the ability to play different kinds of video files, a familiar OS, for example - so can certainly see a place for it in the tablet world.

Bear in mind too that it is more featured than a device like the Kindle Fire HD, which is only ?50 cheaper than RT currently. My boss bought one to actually use as a mobile work device and can't even sign into one of our office networks on it because it doesn't allow proxy servers - a Surface RT would be much more suited to his needs.

Nokia entering the RT arena is a great thing in my book. We can agree the hardware will be good but competitively priced - see what they've done with the Lumia 520. Like Windows Phone, Windows 8 is slightly lacking in apps, and I think they could adopt a similar strategy in Windows 8 to that which they've had in Windows Phone - striking deals and bringing companies' apps to Windows 8, which will benefit the Windows 8 eco system as a whole and not just Windows RT.

Windows RT has a lot of potential. It's not going to replace full Windows anytime soon (and isn't intended to right now) but Skydrive in 8.1 shows the potential of the OS having a Modern app that also integrates well with the Desktop, and I think Nokia could become a champion for encouraging developers to create this kind of app.

nasellok

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a Surface RT, find it useful in ways my iPad is not - Office, file management, the ability to play different kinds of video files, a familiar OS, for example - so can certainly see a place for it in the tablet world.

Bear in mind too that it is more featured than a device like the Kindle Fire HD, which is only ?50 cheaper than RT currently. My boss bought one to actually use as a mobile work device and can't even sign into one of our office networks on it because it doesn't allow proxy servers - a Surface RT would be much more suited to his needs.

Nokia entering the RT arena is a great thing in my book. We can agree the hardware will be good but competitively priced - see what they've done with the Lumia 520. Like Windows Phone, Windows 8 is slightly lacking in apps, and I think they could adopt a similar strategy in Windows 8 to that which they've had in Windows Phone - striking deals and bringing companies' apps to Windows 8, which will benefit the Windows 8 eco system as a whole and not just Windows RT.

Windows RT has a lot of potential. It's not going to replace full Windows anytime soon (and isn't intended to right now) but Skydrive in 8.1 shows the potential of the OS having a Modern app that also integrates well with the Desktop, and I think Nokia could become a champion for encouraging developers to create this kind of app.

Perhaps Nokia has figured out how to run Windows Phone apps on Windows RT - this would instantly expand the app store, and give users more options. I am also hoping that it supports miracast, because I don't think the final 8.1 on Surface RT will allow it, which means I will be selling mine as soon as the RT2 comes out. I will wait to see what Surface 2 will be, then decide on that or the Nokia.

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
I hope that this doesn't happen. RT needs to just die off already, it's a colossal failure. They should be focusing on Atom tablets for the low-end. Pushing x86 compatibility IS the answer to making Windows tablets attractive alternatives to iOS and Android ones.
I disagree strongly.
RT needs to mature, not die. It's perfect for tablets. With maturity it could
be an excellent laptop/desktop OS as well. Also with maturity, we'll get much
better app support, a number of devices to run it on, and prices more on par with
midrange Android tablets than entry level laptops.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps Nokia has figured out how to run Windows Phone apps on Windows RT - this would instantly expand the app store, and give users more options. I am also hoping that it supports miracast, because I don't think the final 8.1 on Surface RT will allow it, which means I will be selling mine as soon as the RT2 comes out. I will wait to see what Surface 2 will be, then decide on that or the Nokia.

And then we can have phone apps on our tablet. It's what I always wanted... >_>

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry if this had been covered. Saw the tablet live in person at work today (I work at an airport). It was white looked real nice very thin. When I asked him anybody of course he pretended like he didn't know what I was talking about and that he is not allowed to say anything. But anyways, looked great it was very thin so just have a microSD slot and no USB slot like the surface unless the one he had was a different model.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
10" is kind of big form factor for a tablet today! 8" inch is the right size! Nokia should of learn from sales of Samsung, Nexus and iPad Minis. More then 65% are under 8"!

Have you seen the new Acer W3-810? Full W8 with an 8" screen and a $249 price point. Going to Office Creepo tomorrow to check it out. Obviously my expectations are VERY low but it looks good on paper.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The W3 has an aweful display.

Yeah, and? That didn't stop netbooks from flying off the shelves. For $250, most hard working people will live with issues like that. It's when you get to the $500 price point and above that you need to think about it. Most folks don't bring home 5 Benjamins a week to justify a splurge purchase like a Surface Pro. Keep anything under $300 with tax included and you'll have success. I'm sure 75% of them will be on eBay within a month, but that's another topic.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm hoping Nokia makes a Windows 8.1 model and not just Windows RT. I'm pretty sure I would go for that instead of a Surface Pro 2, but since that seems unlikely right now, I've already pre-ordered a Surface Pro 2.

calfee20

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Keyboard: Some place, probably on this site I saw something about Nokia tablets. It was a few months ago, maybe more. There were some drawings in the article and they showed some sort of keyboard cover.

So what if the 2520 comes with LTE, 1080P, kickstand, and a keyboard for $499. It should get 200 gigs of SkyDrive also...........just saying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos