A Nokia tablet might be the best thing to happen to RT

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Nokia is expected to announce their own Windows RT tablet later this month with support for LTE. If the renders are accurate then it looks like a solid, well designed device. Plus, it will be nice to have more than one choice for a RT tablet. But what's really important is that Nokia supports their products better than any company I've seen sans Apple. Nokia has dragged Windows Phone up from its bootstrap, almost single-handily making it a viable OS with great hardware. Earlier today, after installing the GDR2/Amber update :wink: I was installing the new Nokia apps and it reminded me that Nokia is responsible for so many of the great apps available on WP. And it's not just Nokia's own collection, it's all the goodwill they've built with developers, their close ties to EA and how relentlessly Nokia can be when courting apps/developers. Nokia went pretty hard after Instagram, and while Instagram didn't cave in, you want that sort of relentlessness when you're in distant third and working to build a viable ecosystem. If Nokia gives that same level of dedication to their tablet then Windows RT could look vastly different come this time next year.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
This time next year Nokia will not be making phones. I don't think it will be an issue if the right people are at the helm (ie: Elop).

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
This time next year Nokia will not be making phones. I don't think it will be an issue if the right people are at the helm (ie: Elop).

True. If Elop is leading the charge (either as CEO or head of the devices unit) then they should be fine.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Three cheers for Elop. Everyone seems to dislike him, but honestly, before he came along, Nokia was failing. And thus, he made the radical decision to completely invest Nokia in Windows Phone. If it weren't for him, our Lumias would be running the bloated OS that is Android, or worse, not exist at all. I love my Lumia 1020, and the Lumia 900 that came before it. I'm still going with a Surface Pro 2, but I still expect great things from the Lumia 2520.

Elop pulled Nokia from the mud, at while they still have a long ways to go, at least they're no longer on on the verge of bankruptcy. I love the modern Nokia products, and we have Elop to thank for those.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Something else that just crossed my mind today, distribution! Nokia should already have the necessary deals in place to get their 2520 on shelves around the world. It's no surprise that Microsoft struggled with their global release and other OEMs seemed more than content to let their tablet fade into obscurity. Hopefully the 2520, while expensive, will give people the option of even buying a RT tablet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa