Do u think Lumia 2520 will defeat surface 2?

Alisa Brown

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Nokia has just unveiled its first tablet Lumia 2520 with 6.7MP for $499. Do u think the one will much more popular than surface 2?

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
The main reason for me getting the 2520 is having HERE Maps on a tablet for the first time. I love Nokia HERE Maps on my 925.
But what holds me back is the limitations of Windows RT 8.1.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it will be. Where it MIGHT overtake the Surface is the cellular crowd, since Microsoft dropped the ball on that front (again). However, it's hard to look at the 2520 and see a compelling reason to take it over the Surface 2. The Surface is $50 more, but the Nokia keyboard is $20-30 more (though that's because it's a power cover). I'd imagine that the cellular crowd prefers the 2520, while the WiFi-only crowd keeps to the Surface.

dznk

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
I believe Microsoft have said that the Surface 2 is getting LTE soon. Sure I read it somewhere. But no, I expect the Surface 2 to sell more than Nokia's. Both look good though. I may get one sometime in the future, as RT doesn't actually put me off that much. I mainly use Office, SkyDrive, Calendar, Netflix, browse the web and receive my email. All of which I can do with RT.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows RT never really bothered me because aside from 3rd party browsers(Firefox and chrome) and the one or two times i needed to download an app from a site, I mainly use Metro anyway.

THe thing that makes it harder for me is I love the design of the 2520 especially the colors it comes in(Hello CYAN!) and It is so thin compared to Surface RT & Surface 2.

But I can get A Surface 2 that has a slightly bigger screen and I can still use my old touch cover with it(I think) compared to the higher priced keyboard with the 2520. As well as I am not sure if the 2520 will come with all the extra goodies that Microsoft is bundling with their Surface devices(such as the Skydrive, the Skype and i am not sure if Office is included). Now i rarely use Skype as it is nor do I use Skydrive much but with those goodies being bundled in at 50 dollars cheaper, it's more like "Why not get the thing that has more for slightly less"

Of course since i don't use those features as long as the Lumia 2520 has office on it, I still may get it but i'll have to buy the damn keyboard since there is no kickstand like the surface so I can't just buy the tablet cuz i'll need something to prop it up with.

I don't think the 2520 will beat the Surface though not in sales anyway. But design, most definitely.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
2520 will probably win out. You have the brand recognition of Nokia, a great camera (let's admit it, they who take crappy tablet photos outnumber us against it, so why not improve camera quality?), a humungous battery (11+ hours of battery life WITH LTE?) and an iPad-like cover (which makes it a suitable hybrid).

AND LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT THAT GORGEOUS DESIGN.

I rest my case.

LMZR

May 15, 2013
Visit site
2520 will probably win out. You have the brand recognition of Nokia, a great camera (let's admit it, they who take crappy tablet photos outnumber us against it, so why not improve camera quality?), a humungous battery (11+ hours of battery life WITH LTE?) and an iPad-like cover (which makes it a suitable hybrid).

AND LET'S NOT FORGET ABOUT THAT GORGEOUS DESIGN.

I rest my case.

Everybody, take this person's comment in to serious consideration, he speaks the truth. :p

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
amazing device, my work field aside travelling alot, is all about 4 things (word, excel, power point, and outlook) im not sure if these are full fledged office suit and that i wont miss any click or feature from them (its important to have the full thing) ill have to check but this can easily be work device must get a keyboard cuz im not going to a business meeting with any of these colors :p

the only sad thing is that i will miss is Visio and Project, although i dont use them all the time, but they must be there. hope they include them in the future.

i dont know how many share this feeling about windows RT would love to here what you guys have to say.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I definitely consider buying that. I never had tablet before, but this is very intriguing. I almost feel this 2520 is more interesting than 1520. Damn it... i have to get them both.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
No. Most people who would even think of purchasing the 2520 already most likely have a Lumia phone with a superior camera so that makes that obsolete.

Also, no kickstand.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
No. Most people who would even think of purchasing the 2520 already most likely have a Lumia phone with a superior camera so that makes that obsolete.

Also, no kickstand.
Keyboard with 2 usb ports and batteries.
Longer battery life (see Tom Warrens battery test for the shocking truth about Surface 2 battery life).
Snapdragon 800 makes a compelling case (I hope down the line nokia could unlock the bootloader and double boot Android + RT :)

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
As well as I am not sure if the 2520 will come with all the extra goodies that Microsoft is bundling with their Surface devices(such as the Skydrive, the Skype and i am not sure if Office is included). Now i rarely use Skype as it is nor do I use Skydrive much but with those goodies being bundled in at 50 dollars cheaper, it's more like "Why not get the thing that has more for slightly less."
All Windows 8.1 (Core, Pro, and RT) devices have access to the SkyDrive and Skype apps. All small screen 8.1 devices get Office, as does anything running RT.

Algus

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Lumia's got my attention. Nokia's been doing some cool stuff with the Lumia line. I can't say that I'm interested in the Surface 2 at all. I'm really hoping this tablet flies.

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
2520 wins for me but due to GPS, not so worried about LTE but a tablet needs GPS for me, so many apps use it these days, I guess LTE can do some of it but for me GPS is a must, Id buy a surface 2 Pro if it had GPS.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I am looking at getting either the surface rt 2, not sure though if I need 32gb or 64gb. I see that the 32 model only has 18gb left over after its all said and done. I love Nokia, quality products, I could careless about the camera, LTE is a nice option, and I will need a keyboard and I like the one Nokia has, and how it can be a laptop, I heard, correct me if I am wrong, but the surface is harder to use on the lap with the keyboard and kickstand. For me it comes down to memory. With Nokia's apps added on, how much memory will be left? I know it has access for sd and USB, but we will see, they first have to release the damn thing!

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
dont think they are competing with each other. sure, some will buy one and not the other, but they are the same company now. The design of the lumia may attract users who otherwise wouldnt buy the surface RT in the first place, perhaps due to its lack of LTE, GPS, etc. The design differences may also attract a different buyer. I wasn't interested in S2, but Surface pro 2. but now looking at the nokia, i am thinking for getting one even though it has RT.

its a win-win for RT, as it will gain more users to the ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720