And now...? 2520 or Surface 2

ScreenSaver24

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
As someone who just got his Surface 2 in I am debating about returning this and waiting for either a LTE Surface 2 or the 2520. I just see tablets as something that require having at least the option of cellular connectivity. This surface is a extremely nice product though and I am really enjoying the experience with Windows 8 on a tablet.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Looks like I'm getting 2520, mainly because it's thinner and has full spectrum of Nokia software. Doesn't mean that Surface 2 is inferior, just different.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought it was cellular only? If the 2520 will be available with WiFi and not require that I get a data plan for it then I will very seriously consider this device.

It has Wi-Fi. The $499 price would be without contract. Whether you want to get a contract with it or not is your choice. Nobody will force you to.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the look and integrated stand on the S2 but I like the look, feel, features and battery life of the 2520. I think the typecover being backlit is a big deal for me - I'm not sure Nokia's cover will provide as good a typing experience?

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
For me the Cellular (SIM) support would likely push me to the Nokia. I have a surface 1 RT (at least until my 12 year old daughter discovered how cool it is, now it is always at school with her). Depending on price, i'll seriously consider the 2520. But then again, Surface 2 PRO would be nice too...sigh

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
There is no way ever this will be released cellular only... NO COMPANY IS THAT SILLY!

It has wifi.

Thanks, I'm at work and my Surface isn't connecting to our WiFi (irony, I know) so I haven't been able to watch any of the videos with details on the new products. So WiFi available, $500ish price and no contract required. Nice.

Dexter505

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the Surface 2 because of the stand. The nokia tablet does not look like it has built in usb.

Edit: it has micro usb port. The keyboard has usb 2.0 ports. I prefer the built in usb 3 port of the surface 2 rather than spending 150.00 for an accessory. The surface 2 wouldn't be as thin because of the usb port.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, I'm at work and my Surface isn't connecting to our WiFi (irony, I know) so I haven't been able to watch any of the videos with details on the new products. So WiFi available, $500ish price and no contract required. Nice.

Remove the Wi-Fi profile of the offending network by running netsh wlan delete profile name = "{your wireless profile}" and re-connect. Maybe it will help.

Last edited:

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
The Nokia looks pretty amazing, but a couple,etc of things make me lean towards the S2.

First, I do not need nor want LTE, so the extra $50 would be a waste. Second, I like the thought of the magnesium shell and USB 3.

And, the kicker would be that I am guessing that you will have to buy it through a carrier, which means I would have to wait forever for my carrier, here in Canada, to get it.

So, it's the S2, for me.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
As someone who just got his Surface 2 in I am debating about returning this and waiting for either a LTE Surface 2 or the 2520. I just see tablets as something that require having at least the option of cellular connectivity. This surface is a extremely nice product though and I am really enjoying the experience with Windows 8 on a tablet.

You could always use your phone as a hotspot.. that's what I do :)

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Really looking forward to seeing benchmarks between the two devices. Definitely a tough call on which one is the better device. Love the software features and colors/design of the Nokia but the build quality and material used on the Surface is awesome. Plus that kickstand. I'm fine with my surface pro right now but really like both those rt tablets.

Sent from my Sony Xperia? Z Ultra

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I think microsoft has reason to be worried about the nokia tablet. Its a beutiful iconic lumia design, has a portable formfactor and the specs are more featured packed than the surface 1 or 2. Hell, I don't even use the desktop much on my surface pro, so I can probably live with the "locked down" RT. Currently I would easily consider switching from my current surface pro to the nokia tablet for 95%. Two issues that are keeping me at bay is 1. a usb connection and 2. wacom stylus support (no, not ntrig or a capacative pen like on the ipad). If these issues could be adressed quickly within the current line up, this would make the tablet 100% for me. I wouldn't hesitate to switch down.

It has micro USB built in, and the keypad cover has two usb ports (full).

I'm sticking with the Surface 2 because I love that hardware design, but admittedly the value adds on the 2520 greatly surpass the S2.

2520:
Ad-free Nokia Music
HERE Maps
Storyteller
Video Director Suite
SmartCamera Interface
LTE
Keyboard cover that adds 5 hours of battery life
Better rear camera
Multiple colors
NFC

Surface 2:
SkyDrive 200GB free for a year
Skype Unlimited free for a year
And um....?

Not sure what else Microsoft is bringing to the table that could be considered "exclusive" to the Surface 2. Perhaps the new front facing camera, which is pretty amazing.

Next year, the Microsoft Lumia 2525 will have all of those benefits, and the Surface will probably have the Nokia Apps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on this is simple math.

The Surface 2, just like every other non Nokia phone, currently has less apps then the Nokia Lumia 2520. These app's aren't just minor app's you'll never use. I might make a mini movie video using my Lumia 920 and Lumia 2520 with all the editing software built in, The fact, it appears at least, I can use NFC/Bluetooth to mnove files from one device to another makes it even cooler. Then Storybook. Then HERE Maps. Nokia Music FREE no Ad's. Freaking awesome. Screw Xbox Music. Long live Nokia Music! Plus, better readibility outside is a big plus for me. I like to go relax outside and doing that with the 2520 would be easy, with or without the keyboard.

So I just don't see the Surface 2 doing well with this tablet. It's a win win for Microsoft though, but a huge win for Nokia.

Dell, Sony, Samsung and HP should feel the pressure here. Nokia proved their worth bringing apps to the Windows phone platform. Now they are going to do that with Windows RT, and Nokia+Microsoft next year will dominate Windows RT to the point where the other companies will wonder why they couldn't get these type of profits.

robinleck

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I can visualize myself toting a cool Cyan 2520 in one hand & a sunny Yellow 1520 in the other while walking in a crowd of iPad/iPhone zombies.
This will be one hell of a solo flash mob on those iDIOTS.

TomInAmsterdam

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
whats driving me from S2 to 2520 is the GPS mainly, if S2 had GPS I think Id go that route.

Not sure why every says they dont need LTE, for me I ignore the LTE and read it as connected, no one needs LTE but I think you kind of need to be always connected without always using wireless.

But again, its mainly about the GPS for me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers