11-07-2013 12:58 AM
62 123
tools
    I thought it was cellular only? If the 2520 will be available with WiFi and not require that I get a data plan for it then I will very seriously consider this device.
    It has Wi-Fi. The $499 price would be without contract. Whether you want to get a contract with it or not is your choice. Nobody will force you to.
    10-22-2013 02:19 PM
    I prefer the look and integrated stand on the S2 but I like the look, feel, features and battery life of the 2520. I think the typecover being backlit is a big deal for me - I'm not sure Nokia's cover will provide as good a typing experience?
    10-22-2013 02:26 PM
    For me the Cellular (SIM) support would likely push me to the Nokia. I have a surface 1 RT (at least until my 12 year old daughter discovered how cool it is, now it is always at school with her). Depending on price, i'll seriously consider the 2520. But then again, Surface 2 PRO would be nice too...sigh
    10-22-2013 02:47 PM
    There is no way ever this will be released cellular only... NO COMPANY IS THAT SILLY!

It has wifi.
    Thanks, I'm at work and my Surface isn't connecting to our WiFi (irony, I know) so I haven't been able to watch any of the videos with details on the new products. So WiFi available, $500ish price and no contract required. Nice.
    10-22-2013 03:55 PM
    I prefer the Surface 2 because of the stand. The nokia tablet does not look like it has built in usb.

Edit: it has micro usb port. The keyboard has usb 2.0 ports. I prefer the built in usb 3 port of the surface 2 rather than spending 150.00 for an accessory. The surface 2 wouldn't be as thin because of the usb port.
    10-22-2013 06:01 PM
    Lumia 2520 has a microsd slot...
    I watched two videos and still can't see it. Is it internal or via a dongle?
    10-22-2013 07:16 PM
    Thanks, I'm at work and my Surface isn't connecting to our WiFi (irony, I know) so I haven't been able to watch any of the videos with details on the new products. So WiFi available, $500ish price and no contract required. Nice.
    Remove the Wi-Fi profile of the offending network by running netsh wlan delete profile name = "{your wireless profile}" and re-connect. Maybe it will help.
    Last edited by azcruz; 10-22-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling correction
    10-22-2013 07:18 PM
    The Nokia looks pretty amazing, but a couple,etc of things make me lean towards the S2.

First, I do not need nor want LTE, so the extra $50 would be a waste. Second, I like the thought of the magnesium shell and USB 3.

And, the kicker would be that I am guessing that you will have to buy it through a carrier, which means I would have to wait forever for my carrier, here in Canada, to get it.

So, it's the S2, for me.
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-22-2013 07:57 PM
    As someone who just got his Surface 2 in I am debating about returning this and waiting for either a LTE Surface 2 or the 2520. I just see tablets as something that require having at least the option of cellular connectivity. This surface is a extremely nice product though and I am really enjoying the experience with Windows 8 on a tablet.
    You could always use your phone as a hotspot.. that's what I do :)
    10-22-2013 08:37 PM
    I watched two videos and still can't see it. Is it internal or via a dongle?
    It's in the same slot as micro-sim.
    azcruz likes this.
    10-22-2013 08:59 PM
    Really looking forward to seeing benchmarks between the two devices. Definitely a tough call on which one is the better device. Love the software features and colors/design of the Nokia but the build quality and material used on the Surface is awesome. Plus that kickstand. I'm fine with my surface pro right now but really like both those rt tablets.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z Ultra
    BIGPADDY likes this.
    10-22-2013 10:20 PM
    I think microsoft has reason to be worried about the nokia tablet. Its a beutiful iconic lumia design, has a portable formfactor and the specs are more featured packed than the surface 1 or 2. Hell, I don't even use the desktop much on my surface pro, so I can probably live with the "locked down" RT. Currently I would easily consider switching from my current surface pro to the nokia tablet for 95%. Two issues that are keeping me at bay is 1. a usb connection and 2. wacom stylus support (no, not ntrig or a capacative pen like on the ipad). If these issues could be adressed quickly within the current line up, this would make the tablet 100% for me. I wouldn't hesitate to switch down.
    It has micro USB built in, and the keypad cover has two usb ports (full).

I'm sticking with the Surface 2 because I love that hardware design, but admittedly the value adds on the 2520 greatly surpass the S2.

2520:
    Ad-free Nokia Music
    HERE Maps
    Storyteller
    Video Director Suite
    SmartCamera Interface
    LTE
    Keyboard cover that adds 5 hours of battery life
    Better rear camera
    Multiple colors
    NFC

Surface 2:
    SkyDrive 200GB free for a year
    Skype Unlimited free for a year
    And um....?

Not sure what else Microsoft is bringing to the table that could be considered "exclusive" to the Surface 2. Perhaps the new front facing camera, which is pretty amazing.
    Next year, the Microsoft Lumia 2525 will have all of those benefits, and the Surface will probably have the Nokia Apps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts on this is simple math.

The Surface 2, just like every other non Nokia phone, currently has less apps then the Nokia Lumia 2520. These app's aren't just minor app's you'll never use. I might make a mini movie video using my Lumia 920 and Lumia 2520 with all the editing software built in, The fact, it appears at least, I can use NFC/Bluetooth to mnove files from one device to another makes it even cooler. Then Storybook. Then HERE Maps. Nokia Music FREE no Ad's. Freaking awesome. Screw Xbox Music. Long live Nokia Music! Plus, better readibility outside is a big plus for me. I like to go relax outside and doing that with the 2520 would be easy, with or without the keyboard.

So I just don't see the Surface 2 doing well with this tablet. It's a win win for Microsoft though, but a huge win for Nokia.

Dell, Sony, Samsung and HP should feel the pressure here. Nokia proved their worth bringing apps to the Windows phone platform. Now they are going to do that with Windows RT, and Nokia+Microsoft next year will dominate Windows RT to the point where the other companies will wonder why they couldn't get these type of profits.
    HeyCori likes this.
    10-22-2013 11:42 PM
    I can visualize myself toting a cool Cyan 2520 in one hand & a sunny Yellow 1520 in the other while walking in a crowd of iPad/iPhone zombies.
    This will be one hell of a solo flash mob on those iDIOTS.
    husslord and Alpo714 like this.
    10-23-2013 02:21 AM
    Does anyone know the exact date to begin sales in the United States?
    10-23-2013 05:59 AM
    whats driving me from S2 to 2520 is the GPS mainly, if S2 had GPS I think Id go that route.

Not sure why every says they dont need LTE, for me I ignore the LTE and read it as connected, no one needs LTE but I think you kind of need to be always connected without always using wireless.

But again, its mainly about the GPS for me
    10-23-2013 06:01 AM
    I was all set on getting S2 until the 2520 was announced. I've been dreaming of the red 2520 since. 😋

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk
    10-23-2013 06:53 AM
    Hey guys, if you start calling the surface 2 "S2" you're going to inadvertantly send more people to Samsung Galaxy search results...

Might wanna call it by its full name. ;)
    Muessig, BIGPADDY and rav16 like this.
    10-23-2013 07:15 AM
    Though I've said before I would be very surprised to see Nokia ever get into the tablet market it was a good move to enter the RT area at this time. They sat back and quitely waited until all of the other OEM's got out of the RT area before moving in. When the first wave of RT tablets hit the market I do not believe anyone had a really good idea of RT's real strengths. That is likely why it did poorly in the market.

I think the other OEM's just put something out there to say they had an offering without understadning the device. It's unfortunate several of the OEM's tried to put the blame back on MSFT for their failing. Anyway, I look for Nokia to show them how it's done.
    Muessig likes this.
    10-23-2013 07:50 AM
    I think microsoft has reason to be worried about the nokia tablet. Its a beutiful iconic lumia design, has a portable formfactor and the specs are more featured packed than the surface 1 or 2. Hell, I don't even use the desktop much on my surface pro, so I can probably live with the "locked down" RT. Currently I would easily consider switching from my current surface pro to the nokia tablet for 95%. Two issues that are keeping me at bay is 1. a usb connection and 2. wacom stylus support (no, not ntrig or a capacative pen like on the ipad). If these issues could be adressed quickly within the current line up, this would make the tablet 100% for me. I wouldn't hesitate to switch down.
    Umm, in a few years, the lumia tablet is going to be the surface
    10-23-2013 07:56 AM
    i think Microsoft should make the Lumia branded tablets marketed towards the consumer tablet, for those who just play games and stuff (Kids/Moms/Dads/OldPeople). The Surface tablets should be marketed to those who want to get **** done! (students/professionals).

Of course they will all run the same OS but targeting different people in design and implementation!
    10-23-2013 08:07 AM
    I prefer the Surface 2 because of the stand. The nokia tablet does not look like it has built in usb.

Edit: it has micro usb port. The keyboard has usb 2.0 ports. I prefer the built in usb 3 port of the surface 2 rather than spending 150.00 for an accessory. The surface 2 wouldn't be as thin because of the usb port.
    Don't you have to buy a keyboard for the S2 anyways? The extra $ for the 2520 keyboard comes with 5 more hours of battery so I think it makes sense.
    When you need a USB port you're most likely going to be in 'laptop mode', so it's smart to add it to the cover and slim down the tablet.
    10-23-2013 09:08 AM
    Complicated, the staff compares the RT with Windows 8 Pro, forget that the RT is geared precisely to Tablets and apps are increasing.

I don't see anyone complaining that I can't install Windows applications on iOS, go figure.
    Agree - the comparison is between Nokia 2520, Surface 2, and iPad, etc. (NOT Surface Pro....)
    10-23-2013 06:33 PM
    I think it's great that we now have TWO really good RT tablets in the market. The fact that it's difficult to decide between a Surface 2 or a 2520, with each having slight advantages over the other, is actually a GOOD thing!
    10-23-2013 06:39 PM
    There is no way ever this will be released cellular only... NO COMPANY IS THAT SILLY!

It has wifi.
    I just wish they'd release it without the LTE radio for cheaper. I can just use my LTE phone as a hotspot if I need it. If they had a non-LTE version for $399, it'd be a no brainer. Though I'd guess the Qualcomm chipset has it built in.

Also would love the Active Stylus on either.
    10-23-2013 10:58 PM
    Anyone know if the early 2014 surface release with GPS is just RT or Pro too?
    10-24-2013 05:49 AM
62 123