And now...? 2520 or Surface 2

lukeap69

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I was all set on getting S2 until the 2520 was announced. I've been dreaming of the red 2520 since. 😋

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 925 using Tapatalk

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, if you start calling the surface 2 "S2" you're going to inadvertantly send more people to Samsung Galaxy search results...

Might wanna call it by its full name. ;)

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Though I've said before I would be very surprised to see Nokia ever get into the tablet market it was a good move to enter the RT area at this time. They sat back and quitely waited until all of the other OEM's got out of the RT area before moving in. When the first wave of RT tablets hit the market I do not believe anyone had a really good idea of RT's real strengths. That is likely why it did poorly in the market.

I think the other OEM's just put something out there to say they had an offering without understadning the device. It's unfortunate several of the OEM's tried to put the blame back on MSFT for their failing. Anyway, I look for Nokia to show them how it's done.

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I think microsoft has reason to be worried about the nokia tablet. Its a beutiful iconic lumia design, has a portable formfactor and the specs are more featured packed than the surface 1 or 2. Hell, I don't even use the desktop much on my surface pro, so I can probably live with the "locked down" RT. Currently I would easily consider switching from my current surface pro to the nokia tablet for 95%. Two issues that are keeping me at bay is 1. a usb connection and 2. wacom stylus support (no, not ntrig or a capacative pen like on the ipad). If these issues could be adressed quickly within the current line up, this would make the tablet 100% for me. I wouldn't hesitate to switch down.

Umm, in a few years, the lumia tablet is going to be the surface

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
i think Microsoft should make the Lumia branded tablets marketed towards the consumer tablet, for those who just play games and stuff (Kids/Moms/Dads/OldPeople). The Surface tablets should be marketed to those who want to get **** done! (students/professionals).

Of course they will all run the same OS but targeting different people in design and implementation!

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I prefer the Surface 2 because of the stand. The nokia tablet does not look like it has built in usb.

Edit: it has micro usb port. The keyboard has usb 2.0 ports. I prefer the built in usb 3 port of the surface 2 rather than spending 150.00 for an accessory. The surface 2 wouldn't be as thin because of the usb port.

Don't you have to buy a keyboard for the S2 anyways? The extra $ for the 2520 keyboard comes with 5 more hours of battery so I think it makes sense.
When you need a USB port you're most likely going to be in 'laptop mode', so it's smart to add it to the cover and slim down the tablet.

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Complicated, the staff compares the RT with Windows 8 Pro, forget that the RT is geared precisely to Tablets and apps are increasing.

I don't see anyone complaining that I can't install Windows applications on iOS, go figure.

Agree - the comparison is between Nokia 2520, Surface 2, and iPad, etc. (NOT Surface Pro....)

bsd107

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I think it's great that we now have TWO really good RT tablets in the market. The fact that it's difficult to decide between a Surface 2 or a 2520, with each having slight advantages over the other, is actually a GOOD thing!

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
There is no way ever this will be released cellular only... NO COMPANY IS THAT SILLY!

It has wifi.

I just wish they'd release it without the LTE radio for cheaper. I can just use my LTE phone as a hotspot if I need it. If they had a non-LTE version for $399, it'd be a no brainer. Though I'd guess the Qualcomm chipset has it built in.

Also would love the Active Stylus on either.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just wish they'd release it without the LTE radio for cheaper. I can just use my LTE phone as a hotspot if I need it. If they had a non-LTE version for $399, it'd be a no brainer. Though I'd guess the Qualcomm chipset has it built in.

Also would love the Active Stylus on either.
The extra cost making two variants is probably more than what you hope to save.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Exactly, especially if you factor in that the Lumia 2520 is available in 4 colours which would instantly increase the number of variants to 8 instead of 4. This would greatly increase the complexity in manufacturing the right amounts and in keeping it stocked in stores. If you are Apple and both are guaranteed to ship millions of iPads and having a good presence in stores, no problem, but for a beginning tablet manufacturer like Nokia it doesn't make sense, particularly if you consider that Nokia is a phone manufacturer who likely can throw in LTE cheaply in this case. Compared to the prices of 10 inch Android tablets, we more or less get the LTE for free.

I have been using a wifi tablet this year and shared my phone connection, but am now considering to upgrade to the 2520 partly because of this. Sure, it works to tether, but every time you want to use the tablet on the internet, you have to turn it on and off as otherwise the internet sharing eats my phone battery. Just as is the case for wireless charging, it might not be too consuming to plug in the regular charger, but the difference in convenience still makes a big difference in usage patterns. An extra SIM card costs like 4$ a month from my operator so it is insignificantly more expensive for me.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, especially if you factor in that the Lumia 2520 is available in 4 colours which would instantly increase the number of variants to 8 instead of 4. This would greatly increase the complexity in manufacturing the right amounts and in keeping it stocked in stores...

It's the same product, with different packaging. Very little would change in manufacturing ( or the costs ) but packaging would cost a little more to duplicate and differentiate, both on the box and in websites, much more expensive than the actual manufacturing costs.

I think the bigger problem would be trying to explain the differences on the sales floor of:

Surface rt
Vs
Surface 2 black Wi-Fi
Vs
Surface 2 red LTE
Vs
Surface pro black Wi-Fi
Surface 2 pro pink LTE
Surface pro orange Wi-Fi
Surface pro 2 green Wi-Fi

Etc when the customer knows "just get an iPad" like a nursery rhyme.

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I know that the difference in manufacturing is quite small, hence I said that it would increase the complexity in manufacturing the right amounts because it still requires a change at the production line between the different configurations. It is this difference that is a problem. As you said, you also have to take different packaging into account. The stores also have to stock 8 different devices instead of just 4, which increases the risk that everything is not in store. Nokia also runs the risk of producing to many black wifi tablets and too few black LTE tablets etc which can cost sales or lead to write downs of unsold devices.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I know that the difference in manufacturing is quite small, hence I said that it would increase the complexity in manufacturing the right amounts because it still requires a change at the production line between the different configurations. It is this difference that is a problem. As you said, you also have to take different packaging into account. The stores also have to stock 8 different devices instead of just 4, which increases the risk that everything is not in store. Nokia also runs the risk of producing to many black wifi tablets and too few black LTE tablets etc which can cost sales or lead to write downs of unsold devices.

So, it's a problem of too many similar models, and LTE vs Wi-Fi is only making it more obvious?

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Manufacturing is not a problem at all. Sure it's more troublesome with all the MOQ and you're going to have some unpopular colors left is stock which is a waste of $ too but most of all...

Nokia just wants to encourage you to have a 24-7 connection with the 2520. Tethering works but is troublesome turning it on/off because it is a big battery hogger. Your phone will die off in half a day.
You could always just choose to use Wifi only despite the price difference. It's already cheaper than some of the competition already, I'm not sure why it's such a big deal for others. $50? Come on....

It's ridiculous to whine about not having Wifi only version since it's LTE+Wifi. Why would you consider buying another tablet just because of this? You're going to choose a different tablet just because the Wifi ver. "MIGHT OF" been cheaper? Nobody knows what the price might of been if there was a Wifi Only ver. It might of been 499, and the LTE+Wifi ver. 549. Fact, it is LTE+Wifi now and you have the option to only use Wifi. Still 499. LTE users will have to pay monthly. So what's the big deal?

Sure it's your choice to get another tablet but if it is only based on "what might of been", then sorry to say it's ridiculous.

husslord

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
My concern is how many gb will be left on the 2520 after Nokia throws all their apps on it? With the RT you can't put apps on sd cards or usb right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa