Nokia Lumia 2520 - Who's getting one?

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks GrayW0lf, it was helpful. I didn't give up, at least not yet. I did an exchange for a new tablet and so far so good. This new unit was also totally drained, but after the first charge it seems to to behaving as it should. I love the screen, man it is sharp and bright. I really went back and forth between RT and full 8.1. Had the Surface RT and the Venue 8 Pro, found that what I used the tablet for, RT was more than sufficient. Was just not satisfied with the lag/slowness of the first gen SRT. Wanted long battery life, something slim and portable with LTE when needed, and a really good screen for streaming and reading. The 2520 fit those requirements well.
Not looking for a laptop replacement as I have a 15" MBP i7 for my heavy lifting and an i5 Mac mini as my media server

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
That's great news! Do be sure to check for updates using the charms menu -> PC Settings area. That's where you'll get the latest firmware for the tablet which addresses most(if not all) of the problems with touch accuracy in IE. There have also been a number of hotfixes and improvements to WinRT 8.1 since the 2520 was released as well. (Just in case you weren't already aware of this.)

Enjoy the 2520 and please do keep posting here as you find new stuff about/for it. :)

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered my 2520 directly from the Microsoft store at the no contract price and $100 discount (399.00) yesterday 2/17 (Presidents Day here in the US), thankfully I just made it! I checked today 2/18 and they are no longer having that 100.00 discount!! If you are on AT&T, then you can add a tablet with no contract for only 10.00 on a Value Share plan! Plus they are offering 100.00 credit off on your bill if you add a new line or device. What a deal!

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded my family cell plan to the 10g plan (from 1g shared plan) and dropped my monthly cost because of our configuration, so I now have plenty of data to add my tablet. But I realized their share plan comes with free tethering, so I can tether my 2520 to my Lumia 920 phone when I need connection, and I do not need to pay the extra $10 a month. As I do not need data connection often for my tablet, tethering is my best option. Congratulations to those who got in on the great $100 discount the Microsoft store was offering for a while. $399 off contract was a great price.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I just upgraded my family cell plan to the 10g plan (from 1g shared plan) and dropped my monthly cost because of our configuration, so I now have plenty of data to add my tablet. But I realized their share plan comes with free tethering, so I can tether my 2520 to my Lumia 920 phone when I need connection, and I do not need to pay the extra $10 a month. As I do not need data connection often for my tablet, tethering is my best option. Congratulations to those who got in on the great $100 discount the Microsoft store was offering for a while. $399 off contract was a great price.

Free tethering? Make sure that is correct. I would be interested in hearing if you are able to tether successfully. It could be my option as well when I am out.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, tethering is free on the ATT mobile share plans. It is not clearly stated when you go to look at the plans, and you have to do some digging. Here is the link and what it says:

About AT&T Mobile Share plans - AT&T Support 

"If you have multiple devices on your account, you'll have the flexibility to share data ranging from 300MB to 50GB with up 10 devices per Mobile Share group. If you need to accommodate more devices, you can add more than one Mobile Share group to your account. Mobile Hotspot is also included at no additional cost, which allows you to use compatible devices as Wi-Fi hotspots."

I did in fact try it, and it connected to my 920 as a hot spot. I was able to check traffic using Here Maps just fine.

Madeye234

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I got my N2520 on Friday and have been playing with it since. I am really impressed by the screen and how it pops. During setup it was able to recognize the printer that i had wirelessly and downloaded the correct printer info and has a printer utility icon. I wont really talk about windows8.1 but I'm getting used to it. (love the Bing apps). One thing I noticed is that it was confusing to where I could go to toggle the network settings like WiFi and Wireless data quickly from Metro unless you go to Win7 desktop view. Another head scratcher is the check boxes that appear when your in explorer mode, you have to check the box then tap again to open? (like the recycle bin) any way you can disable those check-boxes? MicroUSB 3.0 is another thing I wish they would change and make it full USB. Love the tablet so far! Netflix looks terrific on it.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Returned mine today. Loved the hardware, just couldn't find a way to enjoy the OS on a tablet. WP8 on my Icon is amazing. Just struggling with the seemingly less than decent apps. Before you guys flame me, I am not referring to the lack of or not lack of this app or that app, I am talking about of the major app brands that are available, they seem to be less powerful than the other OS versions. (examples, evernote, only a website option for wunderlist to name a couple.) Also a little frustrated about the fact that I've spent close to 200 on apps, games etc. and have to repurchase if I want them on the 2520.

Big shame cause I really am hoping RT (MSFT) is successful at dethroning the others.

CrockettGTO

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I got my N2520 on Friday and have been playing with it since. I am really impressed by the screen and how it pops. During setup it was able to recognize the printer that i had wirelessly and downloaded the correct printer info and has a printer utility icon. I wont really talk about windows8.1 but I'm getting used to it. (love the Bing apps). One thing I noticed is that it was confusing to where I could go to toggle the network settings like WiFi and Wireless data quickly from Metro unless you go to Win7 desktop view. Another head scratcher is the check boxes that appear when your in explorer mode, you have to check the box then tap again to open? (like the recycle bin) any way you can disable those check-boxes? MicroUSB 3.0 is another thing I wish they would change and make it full USB. Love the tablet so far! Netflix looks terrific on it.
yes you can turn off the check boxes in the desktop view. Just open the view tab in the windows explorer window and it is an option you can deselect.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Also a little frustrated about the fact that I've spent close to 200 on apps, games etc. and have to repurchase if I want them on the 2520.
Agreed. The separation in app purchases between RT and WP is frustrating since the OS' are supposed to be so similar. I've read somewhere that Microsoft is going to be working to unify the Windows Phone and Windows RT platforms at some point in time. So this will hopefully become a non-issue in time.

Otherwise, I hear you on that point and agree. It doesn't help that the WinRT apps tend to cost more than their WP versions as well. That's why I've generally stuck with apps that are different from what are on my WP device.

Avvocot

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine a week. Secured the keyboard from an AT&T dealer who didn't know they had it! No wonder they aren't selling more! Anyway, keyboard works beautifully and the tablet is great. Two issues I've seen; first is the limited ability to download entertainment, i.e. movies if there is no wifi connection, and second is the ignorance concerning VPN availability. If it's an ideal business tablet, VPN is critical for privileged material you do not want to place on One Drive.Other than that, it's terrific.

wpward291

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had my tablet for 3 days now. I love it. I also got the power keyboard which works great. I just wish there where more apps. It feel like android early tablet days. I am patient and can wait. Ie makes up for the lack of apps.

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
bought one off ebay used/excellent condition for $300. hoping i get it and activate it before the end of april to take advantage of the $100 refund from ATT. hope mine doesn't have light bleed and wifi issues.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Ok ordering one from eBay tonight. Could use some input. What do you guys think of me getting a decent full sized Bluetooth keyboard and a slim case to go with it plus a mini USB 3.0 dongle/adapter which would be less than half the price of the power keyboard. Or just go for the pricey all in one power keyboard /cover? I'd appreciate your thoughts!

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Too quiet. I just bought a 2520 off eBay and hope I don't regret it. Buyout of Nokia is complete, hope this tablet continues to be supported.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Me too Chum. So far the tablet is performed just fine. Can't wait till I get my adaptors, ski case/stand and screen protectors... Only complaint so far is the fact that Nokia didn't give the screen an oleo phobic coating it is a smegma MAGNET lol

Jillxz

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I have been looking a long time for the right tablet and thought I had found it in the Nokia 2520. But unfortunately it does not come in WIFI only and I will have to keep on looking and or waiting for another. I don't like the Android tablets nor the iPad. Windows make the most beautiful tablets of all . I hope that Nokia will make a wifi only the next time around. Makes me sad lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6