Lumia 2520 and what MS should do next year.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Next year Microsoft has chance to show a clear difference between Windows RT and Windows x86. Instead of making two RT tablets -- Lumia 25xx Series and Surface RT Series -- make a Surface only for x86, and have the Lumia 25xx Series exclusively for Windows RT. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this was a major reason Nokia was purchaed by Microsoft. Marketing was a major concern for the original Surface, and going forward for Surface 2. Now they can make it clear and make these products for different target audiances.

What do you guys think\?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think the marketing problem was Microsoft's problem. They failed to adequately distinguish the differences between RT and x86/x64 Windows 8.

Nokia is pretty much the only vendor that still bothered with RT other than Microsoft itself. Other than the 2520 and Surface 2, all the other vendors pulled the plug on RT already.

If RT becomes popular, then we might see Samsung, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc release new RT products. But for now, Nokia and Microsoft are the only vendors bothering with RT.

bjax

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I think the marketing problem was Microsoft's problem. They failed to adequately distinguish the differences between RT and x86/x64 Windows 8.

Nokia is pretty much the only vendor that still bothered with RT other than Microsoft itself. Other than the 2520 and Surface 2, all the other vendors pulled the plug on RT already.

If RT becomes popular, then we might see Samsung, Acer, ASUS, Lenovo, HP, Dell, etc release new RT products. But for now, Nokia and Microsoft are the only vendors bothering with RT.

Since Microsoft and Nokia (soon to be bought by Microsoft) are the only ones producing RT tablets, I wonder why they won't drop prices for RT tablets down to around $350-$399? Since they wouldn't have to worry about undercutting other OEM's, they could take a slight loss just to help grow the platform. Or another route they could take is have Surface and the 2520 as the "premium" line of RT tablets and then produce "cheaper" RT tablets (akin to a Nokia 520/521) of varying sizes in order to sell at a price point between $199-$299. If they are thinking of RT as consumption devices along the lines of iPads and Android tablets, then it seems logical that they should be producing 7" - 8" tablets running RT at lower price points than other tablets running full windows like the 8" Dell Venue Pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3