05-07-2014 04:41 PM
104 1234 ...
tools
    Right now I was in the same boat as the OP but the L2520 might swing it for me:
    1) It has LTE for true mobility
    2) Slim bezel at 8.9mm
    3) The power keyboard is atrociously slim.. yet packs 2 usb ports + a battery extending live by 5hrs or so (hell i thought it was quite thick.. this picture was abit a misleading lol) nokia_world_2013.jpg
    4)) has a qualcomm snapdragon 800 cpu [armv7 I think?] MSM8974 (2.2ghz quadcore - 4x krait 400 + adreno 330 gpu)
    5) Fast charge - 80% or so in hour!
    6) almost a 180 degree viewing angle
    7) clearblack display with sunlight readability - I always laughed at my friends when they had cower in the shade in the summer just to read their android phones / iphones screens :P
    8) here maps
    9) nokia music

When you compare these to the surface 2:
    1) No LTE - apparently LTE Model to be released 2014
    2) The bezel is quite thick compared to the L2520
    3) Tegra 4 at 1.7ghz
    4) charge time rated at 2 to 4 hours.

Apart from the above there is not much difference as the camera or speakers don't really appeal to me as I generally use my headphones and b) I won't be taking pictures with my tablet - that is my L920's job lol. Also both have HDMI out (MS call it HD Video Out), both support miracast, charge time about 10 to 11 hours. The only negative I see about the L2520 is that it only supports upto 32gb with the msd card slot - Lumia 2520 Spec Sheet.
    But there is a solution for that.. this little beauty! 71lmm5cbqwl._sl1500_.jpg - Nano Usb 32gb

But I am in two minds right now, I think I will wait for the reviews on WPcentral after which I will look at the other reviews before I make my choice (as I found most reviewers don't know what their talking about - for example mobilegeeks.de reviewer totally missed the office icons in his hands on video, Tom Warren.. well lets just say his hands on video was beyond lazy at best). In the mean time will do some more research on the surface 2.
    10-27-2013 05:54 PM
    compelling points thanks
    10-27-2013 06:34 PM
    wow an amazing detailed answer but i feel you were pro L2520 but i really found this helpful and will now most likely go for the lumia thanks so much for helping me to finnally come to a conclusion
    10-27-2013 06:39 PM
    The biggest mistake of the Lumia tablet is that the cover/keyboard will cover that stunning back cover, and people wouldn't notice the beauty of this tablet. The Surface on the other hand, will have a less invasive keyboard that will also be a stunning view to look at because of its incredible thinness.

If you are not planning on getting the keyboard for the Lumia tablet, then it is without a doubt the best choice. I'm so OCD lol. I mean I want to show off that cyan back cover!
    10-27-2013 07:43 PM
    Surface 2 Nokia Lumia 2520
    Software Windows RT 8.1 Windows RT 8.1
    Dimensions 275 x 173 x 8.9 mm 267 x 168 x 8.9 mm
    Weight 675g 615g
    Display 1080p (10.6 inch) 1080p (10.1 inch) super bright
    WiFi a/b/g/n a/b/g/n
    Bluetooth 4.0 4.0
    NFC No Yes
    3G/LTE No Yes
    GPS No Yes
    Offline Maps No Yes
    Battery Up to 10 hours (7-15 days standby) Up to 11 hours (25 days standby)
    Processor 1.9Ghz Tegra 4 (quad-core) 2.2Ghz Snapdragon 800 (quad-core)
    RAM 2 GB 2 GB
    Memory 32 GB or 64 GB 32 GB
    Micro SD Slot Yes Yes
    USB Full Size 3.0 Micro 3.0
    HDMI Micro HDMI Micro HDMI
    Front Camera 3.5 MP 2.0 MP
    Rear Cam 5.0 MP 6.7 MP
    Pro Camera App No Yes
    Office 2013 Included Included
    Exclusive Apps No Yes
    Kickstand Yes No
    10-27-2013 07:57 PM
    The only negative I see about the L2520 is that it only supports upto 32gb with the msd card slot - Lumia 2520 Spec Sheet.
    But there is a solution for that.. this little beauty! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71LMm5CbqwL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	48058 - Nano Usb 32gb
    lol except the 2520 doesn't have a full size USB port so you cant plug that thing in and whoever is on about the bezel loo, the bezel is the frame around the screen which is about the same size on both devices
    10-27-2013 08:01 PM
    Oh nooooo... The Surface doesn't come with GPS. This may be a deal breaker for me because a lot of the apps I use needs GPS.

Hmmm... I hope the Cyan version comes to Canada!
    10-27-2013 08:10 PM
    Oh nooooo... The Surface doesn't come with GPS. This may be a deal breaker for me because a lot of the apps I use needs GPS.

I want NFC and a full size USB port, looks like I have to pick one or the other :(
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-27-2013 08:16 PM
    I want NFC and a full size USB port, looks like I have to pick one or the other :(
    I imagine that decision will come down to which one you need more. However, if you plan on getting the power keyboard cover for the 2520, you'll have two full size USB ports.
    10-27-2013 10:49 PM
    The Nokia tablet has better CPU, LTE, GPS, NFC and other sensors + a ZEISS camera, its really no contest with the severaly lacking Surface 2.
    The only thing going for the Surface 2 is the full USB port, and I kind of like the Surface design better with the full metal construction, but thats more of a personal preference.

The bottom line is the internals of the Nokia tablet blow away the Surface 2 by a mile.

If you can get your hands on a non-carrier 2520 for $499 then that's definitely the way to go. If non-carriers versions are not available then it's not worth getting because you will have limited and locked LTE and possibly problems with future Windows updates if the carriers have any of their dirty hands on it.
    10-27-2013 10:49 PM

Microsoft really screwed up on this one. Basically they made a tablet without including any of the standard tablet sensors and antennas. The same goes for the Surface Pro, how stupid can you be to build a tablet with only the internals you would use in a laptop type device [edit: by this I mean lacking all mobile sensors and such, not using the main components like cpu, etc.]. Tablets by their definition are mobile devices and Microsoft once again screwed up with this. I am glad Nokia is doing it right, now only if they could come up with a competitor to the Surface Pro.
    10-27-2013 10:53 PM
    I would rather get the surface 2 just because of the support MS is giving on it since surface is really made by MICROSOFT it will have all the drivers etc... and also with the built in kickstand :) I don't care so much of LTE cause im just always at home and have a really fast internet ! :)
    10-28-2013 03:44 AM
    I would rather get the surface 2 just because of the support MS is giving on it since surface is really made by MICROSOFT it will have all the drivers etc... and also with the built in kickstand :) I don't care so much of LTE cause im just always at home and have a really fast internet ! :)
    Always at home, so I bought a tablet, the ultimate in mobile computing... DERP!
    10-28-2013 06:12 AM
    10-28-2013 07:30 AM
    10-28-2013 09:14 AM
    The Nokia tablet has better CPU, LTE, GPS, NFC and other sensors + a ZEISS camera, its really no contest with the severaly lacking Surface 2.
    The only thing going for the Surface 2 is the full USB port, and I kind of like the Surface design better with the full metal construction, but thats more of a personal preference.

The bottom line is the internals of the Nokia tablet blow away the Surface 2 by a mile.

If you can get your hands on a non-carrier 2520 for $499 then that's definitely the way to go. If non-carriers versions are not available then it's not worth getting because you will have limited and locked LTE and possibly problems with future Windows updates if the carriers have any of their dirty hands on it.
    Lol Tegra 4 beats Snapdragon 800 so no the 2520 does not have a better CPU also Surface 2 allows bigger sd cards and has a better GPU and a better ffc which is far more useful than rear camera on a tablet, Also Surface 2 has TV-Out via hdmi which the Lumia doesn't have and Surface 2 has 2 years full sky drive and Skype for free.
    10-28-2013 11:02 AM
    okay guys keep it clean it hasnt been released yet so we cannot really assume which one is faster
    11B1P likes this.
    10-28-2013 04:06 PM
    okay guys keep it clean it hasnt been released yet so we cannot really assume which one is faster
    Both the processors are already on the market and its already a fact that Surface 2 has a faster processor than the one in the Lumia and the other specs such as same software and same of amount of ram means its not hard to figure out which will be the fastest tablet.
    10-28-2013 04:41 PM
    Lol Tegra 4 beats Snapdragon 800 so no the 2520 does not have a better CPU also Surface 2 allows bigger sd cards and has a better GPU and a better ffc which is far more useful than rear camera on a tablet, Also Surface 2 has TV-Out via hdmi which the Lumia doesn't have and Surface 2 has 2 years full sky drive and Skype for free.
    They both have mini HDMI ports and both can display onto TVs via that port
    10-28-2013 06:51 PM
    wow an amazing detailed answer but i feel you were pro L2520 but i really found this helpful and will now most likely go for the lumia thanks so much for helping me to finnally come to a conclusion
    I'm sorry it was because a) I hadn't slept for for 24 hours.. had to much coffee and lucazade (energy drink) - Like today as well -.- I need a new job lol b) I had just finished looking up on the Lumia 2520. Currently looking at the surface 2, in terms of tablet fitting your needs it really depends what you are going to be using it for. So the best thing to do is make detailed check list listing what you want to do with your tablet.

Me personally I need something on the go and currently tether my hp probook 4730s to my Lumia 920. Unfortunately my laptop is dying on me, (down to 1-2 hr per charge as opposed to the usual 7-9 per charge - 0 brightness, everything on powersaver + hibernate :P)

lol except the 2520 doesn't have a full size USB port so you cant plug that thing in and whoever is on about the bezel loo, the bezel is the frame around the screen which is about the same size on both devices
    Well i can just plug it into the the cover :P (ill get a 4gb or something to test it out first lol).
    Last edited by TechFreak1; 10-28-2013 at 10:37 PM.
    10-28-2013 10:18 PM
    Thats alright need a job too ;) yeah the whole battery life thing is important. most people are saying that the full size usb is not there but youre right can easily use the cover. pretty much decided to get the lumia 2520 thanks again guys
    10-29-2013 06:05 AM
    Both the processors are already on the market and its already a fact that Surface 2 has a faster processor than the one in the Lumia and the other specs such as same software and same of amount of ram means its not hard to figure out which will be the fastest tablet.
    Snapdragon 800 actually has a faster clock speed of 2.2 GHz.

http://m.cnet.com/news/qualcomm-micr...blet/57609343#!

It is debatable which will be faster in real life situations though. I know Microsoft optimizes their products to run faster (informed by a worker at the Microsoft store) but the processor in the Lumia has a higher clock speed.
    Personally I am super sold on the Lumia design, so unless the surface speed blows the Lumia out of the water, I'll probably go the the Lumia.
    10-29-2013 12:16 PM
    me too its Dat polycarbonate ***!
    10-29-2013 05:16 PM
    I need this tablet now, I cannot wait any longer!
    10-29-2013 05:36 PM
    i know just cant wait to get one ive already signed up on nokia website to be emailed when its available
    10-30-2013 11:23 AM
104 1234 ...