Help cant decide lumia 2520 or surface 2?

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Which one will be better for productivity? Using office, that kind of thing.
Given the fact that they will run the same programs with a few Nokia exceptions which to be honest are not that productivity focused, it will likely be a question of what form factor fits you the best. The surface got the advantage of having the kickstand which is much faster to use than using the Nokia keyboard cover if you want to use it as a stand, the surface type cover is excellent and can be folded behind the tablet in a matter of seconds if you want to swiftly switch between laptop mode or tablet mode on the road. The Nokia keyboard quality is more or less unknown at the moment, but in some cases it could be more stable to use in the lap. The Nokia 2520 should get better battery life unless the surface use the power cover which could be a big boost if you need a really long runtime. The surface with Power cover should probably get the longest runtime though.

If you work outside, it is likely that the 2520 got a better screen and it got super sensitive touch so it could be better then. The in built LTE will also be a big benefit if you use it a lot outside of WiFi zones. Sharing you connection from your phone works, but it is inconvenient if you have to switch it on too often.

calebcre

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
i'm leaning on nokia now, since the nokia software apps seems a bit more special, GPS and Here maps, plus its ability to make calls/txt when tethered to a lumia phone which i have.
Hold up! Totally didnt know that you could text from the 2520 when tethered to a phone. That would be the final selling point for me.
Anyone have a source link for this?

gschneiderAW18

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I am also massively caught in this dilemma.

I have drawn some conclusions I really don't need LTE as I cant get it where I live anyway. Plus I always tethered my iphone5 to my iPad or laptop so its not really a deal breaker. GPS isn't really required most apps that use it are purely using it to direct you somewhere, in which case I would be moving, so I'd be on my phone not a tablet.

For the me the real issue is Snapdragon 800 vs. Tegra 4 its a real shame MS went with the 1.7ghz and not the 1.9ghz but still I am not won over by which one as actually better. Performance makes a bit difference to me. Its what my laptop is all about and so my tablet must also live up to expectations.

Jeff Kibuule

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I am also massively caught in this dilemma.

I have drawn some conclusions I really don't need LTE as I cant get it where I live anyway. Plus I always tethered my iphone5 to my iPad or laptop so its not really a deal breaker. GPS isn't really required most apps that use it are purely using it to direct you somewhere, in which case I would be moving, so I'd be on my phone not a tablet.

For the me the real issue is Snapdragon 800 vs. Tegra 4 its a real shame MS went with the 1.7ghz and not the 1.9ghz but still I am not won over by which one as actually better. Performance makes a bit difference to me. Its what my laptop is all about and so my tablet must also live up to expectations.

I expect the Snapdragon 800 to have better battery life as Windows RT doesn't fully utilize the shadow core in the Tegra 4 according to AnandTech.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Given the fact that they will run the same programs with a few Nokia exceptions which to be honest are not that productivity focused, it will likely be a question of what form factor fits you the best. The surface got the advantage of having the kickstand which is much faster to use than using the Nokia keyboard cover if you want to use it as a stand, the surface type cover is excellent and can be folded behind the tablet in a matter of seconds if you want to swiftly switch between laptop mode or tablet mode on the road. The Nokia keyboard quality is more or less unknown at the moment, but in some cases it could be more stable to use in the lap. The Nokia 2520 should get better battery life unless the surface use the power cover which could be a big boost if you need a really long runtime. The surface with Power cover should probably get the longest runtime though.

If you work outside, it is likely that the 2520 got a better screen and it got super sensitive touch so it could be better then. The in built LTE will also be a big benefit if you use it a lot outside of WiFi zones. Sharing you connection from your phone works, but it is inconvenient if you have to switch it on too often.
both comes with power keyboard. 2520 is rated for 15hours with it tho.

Roderick Aspiras

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Its hard to decide now unless you see both in the flesh. I think what you should do is wait for the lumia 2520 to hit stores. Read some reviews and actually feel the device if you have the chance to see it in the store. Hope this helps.

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I just looked at them side by side at MS store. Here are my first impressions:

2520 is sleek and pops. I was looking at the red one. Uni-body design stands out. Thinner side edges feel nice in hand. But it feels heavier than Surface 2, not by much, but it was noticeable to me. The screen on 2520 was amazing and it was clearly better looking than S2. In the picture they are both running at max brightness. Lumia can get super bright!
S2 was a hair thinner.

WP_20131118_002.jpg
WP_20131118_003.jpg

rav16

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I just looked at them side by side at MS store. Here are my first impressions:

2520 is sleek and pops. I was looking at the red one. Uni-body design stands out. Thinner side edges feel nice in hand. But it feels heavier than Surface 2, not by much, but it was noticeable to me. The screen on 2520 was amazing and it was clearly better looking than S2. In the picture they are both running at max brightness. Lumia can get super bright!
S2 was a hair thinner.

View attachment 49973
View attachment 49974

Thanx for the pic ....if given a choice which you will prefer ?

Doctor Pork

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
both comes with power keyboard. 2520 is rated for 15hours with it tho.
Yes, I said that there would be a surface Power cover... Given that the battery in that is the same size as the one in the Surface 2, it will obviously approximately double the run time up to about 20 hour even if we don't know any more specifications.

About the pictures, it is a bit hard to compare as the brightness might be too different, but the yellow on the desktop tile looks a bit muted on the Surface, which would be expected as it has a screen that does not cover the entire colour space which the 2520 likely does then. The same is true if you compare the iPad Air with the iPad mini with retina display for that matter.

Retina iPad mini display shows poorer color accuracy than Apple's iPad Air

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft really screwed up on this one. Basically they made a tablet without including any of the standard tablet sensors and antennas. The same goes for the Surface Pro, how stupid can you be to build a tablet with only the internals you would use in a laptop type device [edit: by this I mean lacking all mobile sensors and such, not using the main components like cpu, etc.]. Tablets by their definition are mobile devices and Microsoft once again screwed up with this. I am glad Nokia is doing it right, now only if they could come up with a competitor to the Surface Pro.

Well, the bestseller tablet in the world (Wifi iPad) doesn't have GPS either. Sure it must be good to have a GPS, but may be it is not so needed. Most people will have the GPS in the phone anyway, and you can still check the map in the tablet without GPS. And the NSA will not locate you so easily, hehe. 8-P

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Right now, the biggest factor in my decision making process is the kickstand and keyboard case. The Surface's solution seems much more elegant, and flexible. I'm not crazy about not being able to fold back the keyboard for tablet use on the 2520. I've seen how you can slide it down, but that looks really bulky. Also, one of my favorite positions for media viewing is with the keyboard back, and the kickstand extended actually onto the back of the keyboard case. Makes a very compact and stable viewing station. I'm sure I'll try the 2520 out, but if everything else is close to equal, I'll stick with the Surface for these reasons.

RodimusMajor

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm not as focused in the folding-behind stuff. I like the look of the Nokia power keyboard a bit better because it seems thicker and to have a bit more surface (no pun intended) area-- all the better to balance on one's lap with.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
That's interesting... According to the spec comparisons, the Lumia is supposed to be .1-.15 lbs lighter than the surface....

It's the plastic and weight distribution. The plastic of the 2520 has more give in it which automatically will make the device feel heavier than the S2's solid metal case. Also the weight distribution of the 2520 may not be as balanced as that of the S2 which Microsoft has made a big deal about weight distribution with. Not to mention the feel of plastic is a much warmer feeling whereas the dense cold metal of the S2 will make it feel lighter as well.

rx74ray

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
It's the plastic and weight distribution. The plastic of the 2520 has more give in it which automatically will make the device feel heavier than the S2's solid metal case. Also the weight distribution of the 2520 may not be as balanced as that of the S2 which Microsoft has made a big deal about weight distribution with. Not to mention the feel of plastic is a much warmer feeling whereas the dense cold metal of the S2 will make it feel lighter as well.

You just explained what I felt holding the device. Well said,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss