Nokia Lumia 2520: User Reviews

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, has anyone tried to use remote desktop via vpn (cellular connection) on their L2520? I'm extremely curious as if it works it will become my daily driver once I get one. As I would be able to remote desktop to my laptop as it will be plugged in (my battery on the probook is essentially dying and I need to have it plugged in constantly as the battery life disappears faster than water flowing throwing a sieve when doing anything intensive). So I get the best of two worlds - I can play games at moderate graphics on my laptop (i5 2450 2.5gh + radeon 7470m gddr5 1gb), classic apps via vpn and use the L2520 for my work (just need office and internet explorer) and general media consumption and internet browsing.

Don't forget one thing it does that the iPads do not...the Office Suite...that is important to me.
Also the SD Card slot :p and is extremely cheaper when you compare it the 32gb wifi + celluar model.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, has anyone tried to use remote desktop via vpn (cellular connection) on their L2520?

I have used TeamViewer to connect to my desktop via a cellular connection. I'm not sure why but TeamViewer on the tablet doesn't show my whole desktop and I can't figure out how to scroll the remote desktop with it. My desktop is running 1680x1050 so I don't see why the whole screen can't be viewed on the tablet. It may be some TeamViewer issue. Also, the desktop background is turned off so you end up working with a black background. This is probably to lower the amount of data that needs to be transferred. The strange thing is that if you have your desktops synchronized through your MS account then the tablet's background will also turn black. It returns to normal a little while after disconnecting the session.

Jbrown425

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up my 2520 from AT&T... compliments my Lumia 1520 and just as alot of others have already said, I am very impressed. I have owned just about every type of tablet on the market today and this one really shines. Great job Nokia!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Can somebody tell me why the black 2520 is Matte? The red feels and looks way better? And when is the cyan coming to U.S?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Can somebody tell me why the black 2520 is Matte? The red feels and looks way better? And when is the cyan coming to U.S?

It was made that way? Kidding aside, I like the matte finish and think it looks much better too. Maybe they figured that if someone wanted black they are more likely to like the matte finish over a glossy one. Of course, since AT&T doesn't have the Cyan version I didn't have a choice. :( In any case, I prefer the matte finish so maybe it is just a marketing decision. Now if they would just have all the colors available to all of the outlets possible that would help immensely with adoption rates.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the matt black, and although the red gloss looks very nice , the big advantage of the matte color is that it does not show all of the fingerprints like the gloss.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
After owning a glossy red Lumia 920 for almost a year, I knew I did not want a glossy red tablet. Too many fingerprints on glossy. Black matte is boring, but the Nokia design still shines through when people see it.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Regarding vpn connection. I was rather pleased that I could use my old VPN script for PPTP and do remote desktop. Nothing like solving a customer problem while laying in bed simply using RT and Remote Desktop to my client's server.

As far as the MS Remote Desktop client goes...once I started using the pointer option and figuring out how you can guide the pointer with your right finger and the left and right buttons are really just whether you tap left or right of your finger guiding the pointer, I found this amazingly easy to use. So much so, that I hate when I go to the tablet's desktop mode and don't have that option! What this means on remote desktop is that you can use your right thumb to guide the pointer and then just tap anywhere with your left thumb to select. Pretty slick.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
After owning a glossy red Lumia 920 for almost a year, I knew I did not want a glossy red tablet. Too many fingerprints on glossy. Black matte is boring, but the Nokia design still shines through when people see it.

I got my wife a red 2520 then turned around and bought the black for myself. Your right though...the black matte is on the boring side but she didn't want me to get the red. Its also true that they are slick like the phones. But equally awesome.

Will6371

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site

My wife got me a red 2520 for Christmas and within an hour I knew I had to do something about the finger prints especially on the back so I got my Autoglym hi def wax that I use on my car and no more problems with finger marks for me.

Samantha Dennett

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I actually posted this in the "Who's Getting One" thread as well. . . . My brain is running a little slow today. =.)

I picked this tablet up through a promotion at ATT when I got my Lumia 1020 cell. I've had it since 12/26. It takes some getting used to, but I find I am starting to prefer it over my ipad. Screen size is great and is lovely to look at. On screen keyboard is nicely sized and very responsive. There's plenty of memory and if you have a keyboard cover, this can double as day to day machine that can be toted around. I'm a gamer, but my gaming laptop isn't even remotely portable in that respect so this will good for me when I'm on the go.

Regarding the Nokia Power Keyboard. . . it may be a hefty price, but it will definitely be well worth it for me to get. Keyboard, extra battery, touch pad and two full-sized USB ports all melded into a cover that goes over the whole tablet. . . . big plus. Once I can plug a mouse (or a wireless toggle) into the usb, this really will make it worth it to me.

I find the Modern Apps are pretty good, just need a little finagling considering they're fairly new for Microsoft and there isn't as many offerings. I'm a gmailer, so the fact that syncing by gmail is no longer supported is a big issue, especially since finding work around apps is a little more difficult. But working apps are out there and I'm working with a combo of the Windows Mail,Calendar, People (which are tied together) and the Gmail Calendar app (which has a low rating based on dates from awhile ago but I find works really well). Working in Windows RT and being able to also access the normal Desktop doesn't really bother me. It's again about getting used to working in a different format. On the plus, being that this has Microsoft Office (in some fashion), I'm super happy. I was never able to get comfortable with the Ipad word processing apps.

Overall I'm quite pleased.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I actually posted this in the "Who's Getting One" thread as well. . . . My brain is running a little slow today. =.)

I picked this tablet up through a promotion at ATT when I got my Lumia 1020 cell. I've had it since 12/26. It takes some getting used to, but I find I am starting to prefer it over my ipad. Screen size is great and is lovely to look at. On screen keyboard is nicely sized and very responsive. There's plenty of memory and if you have a keyboard cover, this can double as day to day machine that can be toted around. I'm a gamer, but my gaming laptop isn't even remotely portable in that respect so this will good for me when I'm on the go.

Regarding the Nokia Power Keyboard. . . it may be a hefty price, but it will definitely be well worth it for me to get. Keyboard, extra battery, touch pad and two full-sized USB ports all melded into a cover that goes over the whole tablet. . . . big plus. Once I can plug a mouse (or a wireless toggle) into the usb, this really will make it worth it to me.

I find the Modern Apps are pretty good, just need a little finagling considering they're fairly new for Microsoft and there isn't as many offerings. I'm a gmailer, so the fact that syncing by gmail is no longer supported is a big issue, especially since finding work around apps is a little more difficult. But working apps are out there and I'm working with a combo of the Windows Mail,Calendar, People (which are tied together) and the Gmail Calendar app (which has a low rating based on dates from awhile ago but I find works really well). Working in Windows RT and being able to also access the normal Desktop doesn't really bother me. It's again about getting used to working in a different format. On the plus, being that this has Microsoft Office (in some fashion), I'm super happy. I was never able to get comfortable with the Ipad word processing apps.

Overall I'm quite pleased.

My biggest piece of advice to you is to switch from Gmail to Outlook. It's an easy transition and you won't look back. It was one of the best decisions I've made.

Samantha Dennett

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
My biggest piece of advice to you is to switch from Gmail to Outlook. It's an easy transition and you won't look back. It was one of the best decisions I've made.
Not really interested in doing that. I've worked in Outlook and I don't like the layout/interface at all and I do everything in Gmail.
I'm using Thunderbird at work for the same reason. I'm just not an Outlook fan.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I have the matt black, and although the red gloss looks very nice , the big advantage of the matte color is that it does not show all of the fingerprints like the gloss.

I have the black matte to but its still very smooth. Some ppl complain about the hump in the back but I like the thin feeling where my hands hold on the sides.

Hamadasco

Dec 4, 2013
Visit site
ive never used a windows 8 tablet or laptop but i'm considering switching, but i do have some questions, can we still download programs like utorrent or vlc on them and will they work? i'm thinking of getting the 2520 ..

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
ive never used a windows 8 tablet or laptop but i'm considering switching, but i do have some questions, can we still download programs like utorrent or vlc on them and will they work? i'm thinking of getting the 2520 ..

The 2520 runs Windows 8.1 RT, so it will only run Windows software available in the Windows store. Other tablets that run full windows will run programs from the Windows store as well as legacy Windows programs. If you need to run legacy applications, you will need a tablet running full Windows. For me, I wanted a tablet for office, internet, games, and GPS, so the 2520 is perfect for me. The fantastic display, fast charging, size, battery life, and GPS tipped me to the Nokia. I looked a my usage of my netbook, and saw that for the things I used it for, I was not giving up no functionality. The choice will of course depend on your needs. A tablet running full windows will have less battery life and from what I have seen will be thicker and a little heavier, though they will run more programs and have more functionality if that is what you require. Keep in mind that rt is more like IOS and android tablet (though in my opinion better), while a full windows 8 tablet is more like a windows laptop in power. I find it funny that reviewers ding rt for its limitations but do not ding iPad and android tablets for the same limitations. An IPad does not run Mac software, but that is never said to be a negative, for example. Of course Microsoft is much later to the game so it has a ways to go to catch up in the application library.

Darryl Dixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
If you've never used a windows tablet you might want to stay away from the 2520 device. Nokia obviously did a rush job pushing this device out. Factor in the screen lag, Bluetooth issues, power adapter issues, total lack of support from Nokia and third-party manufacturers, this device has fail written all over it. If you want a RT device try the Surface 2 or pro.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte