Nokia Lumia 2520: User Reviews

Aredubu

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had the chance to use my tablet yet. I played with one at the VZW store and really liked it. I purchased one from a private party, in pristine condition, with 3 screen protectors included. I had just finished setting my accounts up when I got the horrid BSOD and could not get rid of it. I was sick to my stomach. I checked with the Nokia website and discovered that the tablet this still under warranty. I filed a claim for repair and Nokia-Texas sent me a box to return the unit for repair. I just received a notification from Nokia that the device could not be repaired and they are sending me a new replacement. During this waiting week I had been thinking about switching to the Surface 2 or even staying with Android OS, but this type of responsiveness is winning me over. Going out today to p/u a Nokia powered keyboard today from a local AT&T store. Hopefully, I will thoroughly enjoy this tablet.

Sent from my LG-V510 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

blackdaemon

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 2520 is not available where I live (Czech Republic) and will not be available, so I risked and ordered it from Clove UK without even holding it or seeing it in person before. Now I just can't stop smiling happily ever since the tablet arrived. It's just fantastic. Great feeling, it's snappy, has great battery life, incredible display (I can compare with my girlfriend's retina iPad, I like Lumia display better), I do not even use its full brightness as it is too bright on my eyes by default (I have the maximum set to 40-50%). I did not experience any slowdown or any problems with IE links not working or any sleep/resume issues as others mentioned before.
Windows RT is great OS for a tablet, I do not miss any of the x86 apps on desktop yet, I was fully aware that tablet is a tablet and not a full PC (I also own a laptop for work and stationery gaming rig for, guess... gaming) so I am truly using the right tools for the right task and not complaining about WinRT not supporting x86 apps, I think there all the media were misleading potential buyers with all that MS hate and WinRT bashing.

My only issues are:
- Fingerprints M.A.G.N.E.T., some sort of anti-fingerprint layer would be great
- It's hard to locate the hardware Windows logo "button" in the dark (should be lit up as on WP), sometimes I even find myself holding the tablet upside down. Also it takes considerable finger force to make the Windows button to register the tap, so I ended up not using it at all (I use charms bar for that).
- Impossible to obtain backup charger (I hope this will change in future)
- No protective cover (I do not need/want the heavy keyboard cover, something like that but without keyboard/battery would be great) and all that I have found so far is looking hideous. I hope this will also change soon.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 2520 is not available where I live (Czech Republic) and will not be available, so I risked and ordered it from Clove UK without even holding it or seeing it in person before. Now I just can't stop smiling happily ever since the tablet arrived. It's just fantastic. Great feeling, it's snappy, has great battery life, incredible display (I can compare with my girlfriend's retina iPad, I like Lumia display better), I do not even use its full brightness as it is too bright on my eyes by default (I have the maximum set to 40-50%). I did not experience any slowdown or any problems with IE links not working or any sleep/resume issues as others mentioned before.
Windows RT is great OS for a tablet, I do not miss any of the x86 apps on desktop yet, I was fully aware that tablet is a tablet and not a full PC (I also own a laptop for work and stationery gaming rig for, guess... gaming) so I am truly using the right tools for the right task and not complaining about WinRT not supporting x86 apps, I think there all the media were misleading potential buyers with all that MS hate and WinRT bashing.

I think you nailed it. I think the media thinks, "Why tell the truth when we can fib and bash something?"

My only issues are:
- Fingerprints M.A.G.N.E.T., some sort of anti-fingerprint layer would be great
I agree. I went with an iLLumiShield which does have the oleophobic coating. I originally when with an antiglare screen protector but it made the display hardly better than the Surface RT and gave it a speckled look to things. I got mine from Amazon: Amazon.com: iLLumiShield - Microsoft Surface Windows RT Screen Protector Japanese Ultra Clear HD Film with Anti-Bubble and Anti-Fingerprint - High Quality (Invisible) LCD Shield - Lifetime Replacement Warranty - [2-Pack] OEM / Retail Packaging: Compu

- It's hard to locate the hardware Windows logo "button" in the dark (should be lit up as on WP), sometimes I even find myself holding the tablet upside down. Also it takes considerable finger force to make the Windows button to register the tap, so I ended up not using it at all (I use charms bar for that).
I agree to the hard to see it. I would have thought they would have at least given it a mirror look to the icon. It isn't, however, hard to "push" to get it to activate. It seems to have some sort of intelligence built in to try to avoid accidental activations. It does take a direct touch to work.

- Impossible to obtain backup charger (I hope this will change in future)
I did finally get one through Verizon even though I'm an AT&T customer. The chargers should become more plentiful as time goes on.

- No protective cover (I do not need/want the heavy keyboard cover, something like that but without keyboard/battery would be great) and all that I have found so far is looking hideous. I hope this will also change soon.
While I like the power keyboard and its two standard USB ports I do wish there was a keyboard only cover like the Surface line of tablets has. There are times where I don't want the bulk of the power keyboard and I don't expect to need the keyboard so I picked up a Poetic SlimLine case, also from Amazon: Amazon.com: Poetic SlimLine Case for Nokia Lumia 2520 10.1 Inch Window RT Tablet Black (3 Years Manufacturer Warranty from Poetic): Computers & Accessories. It is a very lightweight case. It does not, however, have the auto on/off ability that the Nokia power keyboard does so you have to remember to hit the power button or just let the tablet go to sleep on its own. I definitely recommend you consider this case.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I wrote a review for Digispun, read it here: Tablet Review: Nokia Lumia 2520 | DigiSpun

Hi James,

Over all a good review. Some questions however. You said, "It’s a comfortable consumer device that feels light enough to carry around, but the OS leaves a bit to be desired." Compared to what? A Kindle Fire? iPad? or compared to Windows 8? There is a big difference. Remember it IS a tablet, after all.

"You can’t load Windows programs onto it, and it won’t run many of the Windows desktop apps, such as Tweetdeck, that are available." Remember, it is a tablet.

"You also can’t download a different browser like Chrome or Firefox so you’re stuck using Internet Explorer." Last I checked, you can't do that on an iPad either.

"You can get Apps from the Windows RT store, again this is different from the Windows App store that has come on in leaps and bounds over the past year." Really? I didn't notice. How do you get to the two different Windows stores. I only know about the Windows App store and the Windows Phone App stores. All the Modern UI apps I have installed on my desktop Windows 8 computer are also on my Lumia 2520. There may be a handful of exceptions but I haven't seen them yet. What are they?

Again, the review over all was good except for one point I think you missed. This is a tablet, not a computer in tablet form. It is perfectly legit to point out that it is a tablet but to complain that it isn't a desktop computer in tablet form is not. What you did was like complaining that the small pick-up truck that company X just came out with isn't very good because it can't haul as much dirt as a dump truck. It wasn't designed for the same market or use.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Whoa!!
I was not complaining, I was simply pointing out the facts to people that might make those comparisons.
I have the 2520 and prefer it to a full Win8 tablet or laptop.

Remember, I wrote that before Microsoft unified the app stores.

Hi James,

Over all a good review. Some questions however. You said, "It’s a comfortable consumer device that feels light enough to carry around, but the OS leaves a bit to be desired." Compared to what? A Kindle Fire? iPad? or compared to Windows 8? There is a big difference. Remember it IS a tablet, after all.

"You can’t load Windows programs onto it, and it won’t run many of the Windows desktop apps, such as Tweetdeck, that are available." Remember, it is a tablet.

"You also can’t download a different browser like Chrome or Firefox so you’re stuck using Internet Explorer." Last I checked, you can't do that on an iPad either.

"You can get Apps from the Windows RT store, again this is different from the Windows App store that has come on in leaps and bounds over the past year." Really? I didn't notice. How do you get to the two different Windows stores. I only know about the Windows App store and the Windows Phone App stores. All the Modern UI apps I have installed on my desktop Windows 8 computer are also on my Lumia 2520. There may be a handful of exceptions but I haven't seen them yet. What are they?

Again, the review over all was good except for one point I think you missed. This is a tablet, not a computer in tablet form. It is perfectly legit to point out that it is a tablet but to complain that it isn't a desktop computer in tablet form is not. What you did was like complaining that the small pick-up truck that company X just came out with isn't very good because it can't haul as much dirt as a dump truck. It wasn't designed for the same market or use.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Whoa!!
I was not complaining, I was simply pointing out the facts to people that might make those comparisons.
I have the 2520 and prefer it to a full Win8 tablet or laptop.

Remember, I wrote that before Microsoft unified the app stores.
But you didn't give an appropriate context and instead fed the misconceptions people have about Windows RT tablets. Some how it is ok for Apple to have two completely different platforms and yet when Microsoft does it something is wrong. That is what I'm referring to. Also, I don't see how you could have written the review before the app stores were unified since when I bought my wife's Surface RT in April 2013 there was only one Windows App store and the Lumia 2520 came out in November. Now the Windows Phone and Windows app stores are still separate but that isn't what you said.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
But you didn't give an appropriate context and instead fed the misconceptions people have about Windows RT tablets. Some how it is ok for Apple to have two completely different platforms and yet when Microsoft does it something is wrong. That is what I'm referring to. Also, I don't see how you could have written the review before the app stores were unified since when I bought my wife's Surface RT in April 2013 there was only one Windows App store and the Lumia 2520 came out in November. Now the Windows Phone and Windows app stores are still separate but that isn't what you said.

Oops, I see your point.

Send me a PM with the corrections I need to make and I'll edit my review.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site

I do want to point somethings out, although I agree with the general point.

The iPad can download Chrome (although, now that Chrome runs Blink I wonder if it's the same Chrome that every one else gets), or any Webkit Browser.

And although I agree that Windows App store is universal - pretty much any app that is in the store works both for RT and Desktop - but Microsoft did not market Windows RT well. They caused the confusion, and they need to fix it.

However, as an owner of this Tablet, my beef is with the software glitches with no official response on when they will be fixed. Nokia, and now Microsoft, needs to get on that.

lutencio

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone!
Sorry my English, I'm brazilian.
Could someone help me?
I have gave a Galaxy tab 3 to my wife, but she is sad, because it doesn't play the facebook's videos.
I'd love to give a Nokia 2520 tab to her, but I'm afraid. Will this tablet play the facebook's videos?
I'd hate to spend money and don't solve this problem.
Could someone who is nokia 2520 owner test it for me, please?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!
Sorry my English, I'm brazilian.
Could someone help me?
I have gave a Galaxy tab 3 to my wife, but she is sad, because it doesn't play the facebook's videos.
I'd love to give a Nokia 2520 tab to her, but I'm afraid. Will this tablet play the facebook's videos?
I'd hate to spend money and don't solve this problem.
Could someone who is nokia 2520 owner test it for me, please?

I have a 2520 made for the US market. It plays Facebook videos when using both the Facebook App and when using Internet Explorer to access Facebook. I am also able to play videos which are run through Adobe Flash player.

Melissa Brown5

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
This is unedited, just a cut and paste job (not the whole post, however). For me $600.00 is a huge loss, so I won't be in the market for at least close to another year. It will probably be the Surface Pro 3 in 2016 as it's priced 4 times the Nokia, which performed well, once I figured everything out, by the way. Now, however, that it is broken, I see that the customer service division is lacking. Think of a heart that doesn't pump. That is about the level of service you can expect from Nokia. Microsoft (via phone is not much better, I've waited 25 minutes for a Microsoft service rep and still got nothing). So, before I buy another machine, I'll have to research the customer service reports. Barnes and Noble, though they lost out with the Nook, had excellent customer service and replacement terms I simply disposed of the last one I got because of the constant problems I had with it quitting.

Repair your Device

. ? Step 1 - Delivery Options
? Step 2 - Confirm Information
? Step 3 - Complete

.Thank you.

Please print a copy of this page for your reference.

You will soon receive an e-mail, which contains:
? Detailed instructions on how to backup, package and ship your device.
? Your repair ID number that allows you to follow the status of your repair.
? A summary of your request.
? Please check your spam filter settings to ensure your email system will allow your order confirmation and instructions to come through.
? Please send your device within the next 10 business days.

Please DO NOT SUBMIT AN ADDITIONAL REPAIR FORM for this serial number during this repair cycle. The system will only accept one form submission per repair cycle. Any subsequent submissions will fail. If you need to change information or you do not receive your confirmation email after several hours please contact Customer Care at 1-888-2U (1-888-665-4228).

Sorry, I lost track of the blog I wanted to post, but go to any blog and you'll find the same or try my FB page: Melissa Brown, see the Chinese lantern profile to read the post from today. Happy Shopping

Question for GizmoEv. I will be replacing my broken NL 2520 in 2016. My primary needs are for video, but I am interested in the tap and touch tech, which I do use for PDF data and hope to use for transferring purchase data from my phone to tablet. If you have an opinion on it, which of the Surface Pro's do you think most resemble the Nokia 2520 for speed and picture quality. I know the entry level won't due. That would be delusional, right?

I don't want to burst any bubbles here. NL 2520 is a great product for the money (even at full price, which I paid). Unfortunately, this product was not developed by MS and as an auxiliary product to MS, I suspect it will be phased out in favor of promoting the rival product the Surface Pro 3. I have had countless problems finding information about repairs (which I did not have with Nook). I finally opted for the self-ship option and the problem melted away. DO NOT BOTHER trying to call. No one will answer. You'll be hold until God answers. Anyway, now I have to wait for them to email me specific shipping instructions (with free-ship option, they send you a box - in 2 days - did not happen, today was day 6). Bottom line - Great product for the money, but since I purchased it in September and all the functions except sound ceased, it amounts to renting it for $200.00 per month, especially if the service is as poor as I have read. I will likely wait at least 3 weeks. Nokia took care of me within seven days, in fact, sent a new product. If the have corrected their issues, I might go in for that again. Any advice will be appreciated.

PLEASE SHOPPERS. Hold your credit cards. The acquisition of Nokia 2520 means that Nokia is just waiting for MS finish the transition of the purchase of a previous competitor. MS has no reason to enthusiastically honor the contracts of Nokia 2520 tablet users. The Surface Pro 3 is the recent comp and the entry point for quality is 3 to 4 times that of the Nokia. If you end up needing to return your Nokia for repairs - you'll be sadly disappointed at the lack of service. Nokia is now flooded with service contracts they either cannot fulfill now or are simply no longer interested in doing so. One Nokia client has had so many problems - first, they returned it to him damaged and unrepaired and with a scratched screen. They took responsibility for it, but 3 weeks on, he has nothing and no estimated turn around time to get it back. So, hold on or buy one for half the price and if it fails within 3 months you will have rented it for 100 dollars per month rather than 200, which currently is my situation. I am still waiting for shipping instructions to arrive via e-mail. Why not just post shipping instructions on the same site? I'm telling you, it is to circumvent, forestall and frustrate you until you miss your warranty deadline or until you simply give up. I see lawsuits waiting and a settlement coming. So, if you've already made your purchase and it's too late for you to return it - then save your boxes and receipts. Microsoft and Nokia will probably have a settlement in a few years. The same happened wit people that had accounts with Barnes and Nobles (through Nook) and lost the books they ordered when the devices continued to fail.

Last edited by a moderator:

greek64

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
Don't do that. Nokia's service department is in shambles. Anyone having their tablets repaired face a reduced staff thanks to the MS acquisition. I smell a rat. MS just wanted to eliminate the cheaper comp to their Surface Pro, my first choice until a Verizon store sold mr the Nokia 2520. Now I wish I had the Surf P3. That said, I don't know the turn around time average for MS repairs or replacement products. I'll have to check on that.

Last edited:

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine for a few months now and I like it a lot. The battery life, outdoor visibility, and the LTE modem are enough for me to not even consider another tablet. The Surface Pro 3 is the only one, and I will probably upgrade to that once they add LTE support to the line.

I had a problem with it crashing/not waking up from sleep for a while but it kind of went away on its own. Not sure what happened or what I did..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon