Nokia Lumia 2520: User Reviews

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
If you get hands on to one, share it here!

If you have seen anyone else do it online and want opinions from the community - share it here!

Ben Sailors

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I bought one yesterday and I absolutely love how it looks and feels.

Everything runs great on it except Asphalt 8 and I think Asphalt 7 isnt quite working right either. The graphics are all kinds of messed up. I've been trying to find someone who can double check for me if it's a device issue, progamming issue, or if I have a messed up tablet. It seems most 3D games aren't playing quite correctly.

Other than this issue (which should be resolve either by time or replacement) I love this 2520.

millercrew5

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Tried out one today at AT&T and it ran great! Didn't dive into it much but liked it alot. Cannot decide between it or surface 2😞

Sent from my RM-860_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface 2, love it, but I am returning it tomorrow and getting the 2520, I checked out the 2520 today at a Verizon store, and for me, I think it handles better as a tablet then the Surface. I don't own a surface keyboard and never planned to buy one. I am just interested in the tablet experience on my lap. The Surface 2 is nice but the Nokia is even nicer in my lap. Because its 10.1 its a half inch narrower which makes a big difference when using the onboard keyboard.
I'm sold

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Asphalt 7 seems ok. I have seen some weird blue surfaces here and there. However more disappointing is that Uno and Friends is all garbled. Can't really play it at all. I'm guessing we need a video driver update for our Qualcomm SoC. Should come out soon enough.

I got my wife a Surface 2 and I bought the 2520. They both have pluses and minuses. But the free power keyboard got me to buy the Nokia over getting a second Surface 2. The screen on the 2520 is amazing. The power adapter, not so much. There have been a few times I've wished the Windows key lit up and the power and volume buttons get some getting used to. But having GPS and the better screen makes me happy. No regrets.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I got my Verizon 2520 yesterday. I have been using Win8 on my computer so I am familiar with it, but it's a bit different on a tablet. In fact, it's awesome on a tablet, even though I had to learn a few of the shortcuts. It helps to read the Helps and Tips on the start screen. Also, it's good to know that you can tap and hold the Start button on the desktop to bring up the Power Menu. You can also change the login password to a 4-digit number and many other things if you read and explore some Win8.1 tips.

This thing runs good and fast and feels great in the hand. Battery life seems great. Of course, when I first turned it on, I did the market updates and found that a lot of the installed apps wouldn't open. I reset the tablet and started over and open the apps before I updated them and they work fine. I got this tablet because it has a cellular connection and that is doing great so far, but haven't used it much. The Mail app is awesome. I have my Microsoft mail and Office 365 business mail and the way you can switch between the two accounts in the Mail app is awesome. I haven't even set up Outlook 2013 but guess I will soon. I can see why people initially don't like Win 8, but after you learn it a bit, and use it on a tablet, it's pretty great.

The only issue for me is the VPN to my work network with a Cisco ASA. Hopefully they will get this going, but in the meantime, I am using TeamViewer and that works ok for what I need.

Last edited:

SteveD1977

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I talked my work into getting me the Verizon 2520 on Wednesday. I really like the device overall. It's very fast, the screen is fantastic, and the recharge time is much better than any other tablet I've owned. I used the Surface 2 with the Type Cover for about a week. Overall, I like the 2520 better. However:

1. Kickstand: I miss this.

2. Power Keyboard: OK, I want a keyboard. The reason I chose the 2520 over an Android is for MS Word, Excel, etc. All of these need a keyboard. However, the Nokia Power Keyboard adds 1.3 pounds. And really, the 2520 has a fantastic battery life and charges 5-7 times faster than any other tablet. WHY DO I NEED A POWER KEYBOARD??? Please Nokia, just make a thin, light keyboard like the Type Keyboard. I don't need nor want the extra weight or battery life. Nonetheless, I ordered my free keyboard, but I would gladly pay for a non-heavy keyboard.

3. Covers: I would really like a light-weight thin cover with a kickstand type prop. Something like iPad's magnetic cover - thin, light, easy to use. I'd really appreciate a recommendation.

If this had the Surface Type keyboard, it would be the perfect companion. BTW, for all of the media whining about Windows RT, I rather like it.

Steve

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I've used my 2520 for a week. In fact, my desktop computer is down and so I am using the 2520 at home a lot. There have been a number of threads about some issues with things like wi-fi disconnects and not waking up. I can say that I have had neither of these issues on my Verizon tablet. I have had times when it takes a couple of taps to get links to respond and of course, with the QUALCOMM processor, there is a few stutters or delays. But that is the sacrifice you make for great battery life. I have gone to System Properties, Advanced, and Performance and adjusted some things that helps speed it up by stopping shadowing and other visual things. I also speeded up browsing by going to full Internet Explorer, Settings, Manage Add-ons, and added a Tracking Protection List.

Overall, I am very impressed with this tablet and Win 8 on it. The sound is awesome with the speakers pointed right at you. I haven't played movies on it, but YouTube videos are just awesome in full-screen. The CNN app is fantastic, especially with a wide tile. The Bing Weather app is great and the live tile shows your secondary locations.

I am using this for work and sure wish it had a VPN client to connect to a Cisco vpn, but for now, I can use TeamViewer and it works okay. I ordered the keyboard of course, but not sure if I will use it that much. I would like to have a small, thin slip-cover to just slide it into.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm really just impressed with RT 8.1 in general. The fact that Flash works with ARM chip is amazing they way its built in IE11. That is extremely a big plus for me. Network printing flawless. It was a tough choice between the 2520 and S2. Suck the max SD card can be 32. But hell I don't even use 32GB on my 920. Don't know who the hell design the power plug in. Proprietary sucks with a house full of micro USB chargers. Eh. Wont care when the keyboard comes. This this to me is as beautiful as the S2.

naplesbill

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I picked one up yesterday. I bought a Lumia 1520 and got the 2520 for $199 as a bundle.

I came from a Surface RT 64GB. I like this device much better but I am not sure if it is better than the Surface 2.

The size, weight and screen are all perfect for my taste. I will miss the full size USB of the Surface but I will be getting the keyboard case for free. The keyboard case includes two full size USB ports I believe.

I haven't found anything to complain about yet, but it is only day two. ;)

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Winfonejunkie

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had my red Verizon Nokia 2520 for a week now and its been pretty awesome so far. I owned a Surface RT that i had for about 6 months then lost it, but i personally disliked RT. It had potential but it ran real slowly on the original Surface. This beauty however is SOO smooth, fast, and fluid, i honestly feel it runs quicker than my i7 laptop running Windows 8.1! Honestly i've really been impressed with how fast and fluid this tab runs. And IE explorer is such a joy to use in tablet form. I'm so glad Windows decided to stick with Windows RT. It truly shines when it has good hardware to push it.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, I have had my Lumina 2520 for several weeks now. I am still loving it, especially since I mastered the Os On a tablet, I am really enjoying Windows 8.1. Using the split keyboard option really helps on typing in the wide format screen. Here are my pros and cons:

Size: I love the size. It feels and looks really thin because of the tapered back. I was worried that the screen would be a little small and I would have problems reading text, but the screen is so amazing that I can read it no matter how small the text is. Sometimes I feel like I am picking up a piece of glass instead of a tablet with the sleek design.

Screen: Amazing. Apple may have a higher resolution, but the Lumina screen is so bright and clear, I don't know how it can be ay better, and on a screen this small, I wonder if I could even see any difference if it was a higher resolution. Everything just pops on the screen, and pictures look amazing. Viewing angles are wide as well. I have not tried it outside, but since putting maximum brightness can blind me inside, I am sure it would look great outside. Probably my only negative is that the screen is a fingerprint magnet. The screen is so bright you do not see them when it is in, but you really do when it is off. I picked up a screen cleaner that uses a pad with carbon on it, and it does a much better job than just a cloth. Just plan on cleaning it regularly. I may consider a screen protector at some point.

OS: I have 8.1 preview in a netbook, and it is Ok. This Os really shines with touch. It only took me a few days to master it, an I am loving it. I love how you can have 2 programs on the screen and how you can fly programs on to the screen from the left like sliding pictures. You have to play with it to discover how to get to some things, but once mastered, it is very slick. To me, windows 8 is more of a mobile OS. Would I have preferred full Windows? Maybe, but then the tablet would have been thicker and heavier, probably with less battery life, and for what I use it for, I am not missing any functionality. All the things I was doing in my netbook, I can do better and faster on my 2520. When the number if apps grow, this tablet will be able to do anything an overpriced IPad can do and then some.

Battery: Yes the charger is a little bigger than most, but well worth it for the ultra fast charging. I have not measured it, but I seem to be getting what is claimed. I play with it a lot (My little laptop is gathering dust), and I am probably charging it every other day. When my free powered keyboard arrives, it will be even better.

GPS: one if the reasons I went with the 2520. It works great and Here maps is very nice and is very fast. My dream is that they will release Here Drive so I could have them on a split screen. I would get a car mount ands catch my little GPS.

Price. I could have gotten something like a dell venue for the same price, but it was thicker and heavier, did not have GPS , 4g , fast charging, and gorgeous display. And I will be getting the free powered keyboard case, so actually it was $150 cheaper. As I said, for my use, I really do not need more than RT on a tablet. And a similarly configured IPad is over $750, so I think the price is fair. I am sure there will be good deals down the road when their supply can meet demand. I paid full price to avoid a contract and feel I got my money's worth and then some. If you want it off contract, you probably have to buy it at the Microsoft Store.

4g: I look at 4g as a bonus, as I will probably just use it sometimes when I travel, and buy it prepaid, At the price I paid (with the free keyboard case), I really did not pay extra for the 4g, so it was not a big deal. I bought a tablet and got a bonus feature I can use down the road if I ever want it.

Speed: This thing flies. I cannot turn on my Celeron based netbook anymore, as this tablet blows it out if the water. And it never gets even warm to the touch, which tells me the CPU is just coasting. My daughters IPad can get very warm. I do not feel I made any sacrifice going to an rt tablet when it comes to speed. Internet speed on my home wireless is amazing, as fast as my desktop in a wired connection. Only one time I had the tablet slow down, and it was probably an app in the background not behaving. A simple shut down and rebooted to fixed it.

Memory: I would have liked a 64g option, but I installed a 64g micro sd for all of my pictures and music, and I have plenty of room for lots more music and pictures. I am hoping Nokia lets you put offline maps in the micro sd at some point. No matter how much memory you have you tend to install lot of stuff you seldom use anyway.

Overall: Would I choose the Lumina again if I were to do it over? YES, without hesitation. If you need a tablet to run legacy windows software, this may not be the right tablet for you, but if you need a tablet that does what most tablet users need (including millions of IPad users), the Lumina 2520 is a great option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05