01-02-2014 11:48 PM
65 123
tools
    I purchased a 2520 this morning from ATT and it has locked up on me twice. I'm unable to wake it up and have to hold down the power button for over 20 seconds to get it to shut off. I was on the phone with Nokia support and their solution was to go through this routine. Totally unacceptable. I'm hoping to be able to get another one but the ATT stores in my area seem to be sold out. At this point I'm just going to return it if they can't find another one locally. Hopefully this is not a widespread issue. I'm glad I held on to the Dell 8" I purchased last week as that appears to be dependable and has had no issues.
    mark0309 likes this.
    11-22-2013 08:10 PM
    I'm sorry to hear you got a defective device. I think it's too early to tell if it's an isolated incident or if it's widespread.

I hope you're able to get a replacement. If not, we'll see if other users report similar problems or not.
    11-22-2013 08:24 PM
    i dont own any Windows8 products. still I would like to know more about this issue. there was a similar NON WAKEUP problem on windows7 that was certainly due to turnOff screen timeouts and then the system goes to standby. Is there anything like this on Windows8??
    11-22-2013 08:57 PM
    i dont own any Windows8 products. still I would like to know more about this issue. there was a similar NON WAKEUP problem on windows7 that was certainly due to turnOff screen timeouts and then the system goes to standby. Is there anything like this on Windows8??
    I'm running Windows 8.1 on an Asus Vivobook, and I haven't had any issues with resume from sleep.

Also, the 2520 runs Windows 8.1 RT, not Windows 8.1 x86/x64.
    11-22-2013 09:06 PM
    I'm running Windows 8.1 on an Asus Vivobook, and I haven't had any issues with resume from sleep.

Also, the 2520 runs Windows 8.1 RT, not Windows 8.1 x86/x64.
    I too had the issue only on certain devices like my HP laptop and never on any other. So it may be some hardware software mismatch :P
    the bug appears if the system goes to sleep when screen is turned OFF. I got mine back after attaching to external monitor. Now I set it no to turn screen off before it goes to standby :)
    11-22-2013 09:18 PM
    I too had the issue only on certain devices like my HP laptop and never on any other. So it may be some hardware software mismatch :P
    the bug appears if the system goes to sleep when screen is turned OFF. I got mine back after attaching to external monitor. Now I set it no to turn screen off before it goes to standby :)
    I had an HP laptop I got in 2008 that originally ran Vista. I've run 7 and 8/8.1 on it, but never had issues with resume from sleep.

The Asus laptop I'm using now is brand new.
    11-22-2013 09:24 PM
    I had an HP laptop I got in 2008 that originally ran Vista. I've run 7 and 8/8.1 on it, but never had issues with resume from sleep.

The Asus laptop I'm using now is brand new.
    Oh so may be its some particular bug :) appears randomly on random devices.
    I too moved to Asus K53SM-SX010D
    11-23-2013 06:50 AM
    So far no stability issues on mine. I also bought the Surface 2 at its launch but didn't keep that one because it kept freezing on me.
    11-23-2013 05:37 PM
    I mentioned this in another thread, but probably worth repeating here. Almost immediately after I opened mine up and with through initial setup I did the Windows update. When the update went to reboot, it sat there at the black Nokia boot screen for an hour. I had to hold down the power button until it rebooted. But after it came back, I've had no problems. Been pretty much playing with it for 8 hours straight without any issues (except with some specific apps - may need a graphics driver update on these and the Bluetooth pairing and sharing with my L920 is not working, but that's little different).
    11-23-2013 11:40 PM
    My unit died on me about three times today. Needed a 30 second press on the power button then reboot.
    11-23-2013 11:55 PM
    I'm having the same issue with my Verizon unit.... so you hare not alone! It is very annoying . I posted my problem on the Nokia forum support site . Hopefully its a software patch and not hardware issue .
    11-25-2013 01:07 AM
    Looks like I fixed my tablet so far .... 1.Charm 2. Settings 3.Change PC Settings.. Hold up... PC settings app froze up let me restart the devices nm I was going to recommend a device reset without lost off data but ... Guess that's not working ... Got the screen issue again....
    11-25-2013 01:16 PM
    It's happened a few times with mine and tonight it wouldn't load any apps so I had to reboot it again. Not looking good with all the problems out there.
    11-25-2013 08:03 PM
    I have had to do a wipe and reinstall once.
    Now I have to do a hard shutdown (hold power putton in for 20 seconds) whenever the unit sleeps on battery power as it will not wakeup
    11-26-2013 03:38 PM
    I mentioned this in another thread, but probably worth repeating here. Almost immediately after I opened mine up and with through initial setup I did the Windows update. When the update went to reboot, it sat there at the black Nokia boot screen for an hour. I had to hold down the power button until it rebooted. But after it came back, I've had no problems. Been pretty much playing with it for 8 hours straight without any issues (except with some specific apps - may need a graphics driver update on these and the Bluetooth pairing and sharing with my L920 is not working, but that's little different).
    Experienced something like you once on the initial update, but it is fine ever since. have a Verizon unit. I didn't wait an hr, more like 15mins.

Seems more like a software issue than hardware
    Last edited by JaimitoFrog; 11-26-2013 at 05:03 PM.
    11-26-2013 04:53 PM
    I got mine yesterday, and have had it freeze up on me several times. Each time, I held down the power button and restarted. I also had some issues with downloading apps ("network too slow" error), but the restart sorted that out. Otherwise, enjoying and trying to figure out where to get the USB adapter...
    11-26-2013 11:30 PM
    I've been using mine for a few days now. Haven't had any problems since that initial update. It does sound like there is some bad hardware out there. Usually I'm one of those people....but not this time (knock on wood).
    11-27-2013 12:15 AM
    The first unit I got ended up rebooting itself after being asleep for about 2 min and 15 sec. So it just kept up this repeating process until I noticed that my room kept getting lit up while I was sleeping. I powered it off to get it to quit. Fortunately the AT&T store had another one in stock. Unfortunately it was an hour each way to the store.

I noticed that the replacement immediately saw LTE where as the first one had to be connected to WiFi to be setup. Also, the second one would wake up reliably and quickly with the home button, unlike the first one.

Now I'm setup with a 64gb card and only need/want a Micro-USB3 to USB3 adapter. Anyone know where to get one?
    11-27-2013 05:10 PM
    Adapter was posted in another thread... Amazon
    GizmoEV likes this.
    11-27-2013 07:16 PM
    I had it lock up on me today as well when I went to the connections section. I'm also seeing some weird video issues where it dims on me even when I set the comp to be brightest. don't know how to change that. also, when I was playing a movie from a local file it did not look that great... however playing a 1080p music video looked pretty good.

EDIT: make that 2 freezes... Tried to load up the camera and it half crashed back to the start screen. Tried to kill it in task maanger, and now I'm stuck in the video section. It's starting to make Windows ME look stable.
    11-27-2013 11:23 PM
    I am on unit 3. The first suffered from the same well documented instability, crashing, failure to wake even after 2 Windows resets. I swapped it after a day of messing with it.

Unit 2 was rock solid, had it 4 days without a single crash, perfect suspend/resume, amazing aside from the dead pixels.

Unit 3 is physically perfect, the SIM card tray is even level but just as unstable as the first unit. All the same issues. I have done 4 Windows reloads and tested all sorts of different patching orders, etc.

There are no more units in the vicinity but am curious about of there are minor firmware differences. I have the following identifiers on the box:
    SWID: M8974A-AAAANAZM-1.0.26020
    Radio SW: 2.1032.4701.44

We should all be running the same OS version so lets start by gathering the above values to correlate. We need to hear from folks without issues too.

Edit: If we can isolate this behavior to firmware by having releases in common between folks with the issue and and a clear difference to those without the issue we could be alright.
    Last edited by mikeatroundhere; 11-28-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    11-28-2013 03:30 PM
    What all is crashing for you? I've had a handful of crashes myself. How do you find the SWID and radio SWID?
    11-28-2013 06:16 PM
    I was just going off the box initially as I cannot locate anything of interest in the OS that has version numbers.

Resuming from sleep is the most annoying thing at the moment however it also locks at other times with little rhyme or reason.
    11-28-2013 07:40 PM
    So.. mine won't turn on anymore... But the capacitive start button registers when I touch it. I plugged it in, but it still had 50% charge last time I looked at it. This is less than encouraging...
    11-28-2013 08:44 PM
    Try pressing and holding the power button for several seconds. Maybe even 30 seconds.
    11-28-2013 09:24 PM
65 123