GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
With LTE turned off, so just on WiFi, I lose my connection frequently. This does not happen on other devices, including the Surface 2 (yes I have both), so I don't believe there is anything wrong with the WiFi. On the 2520, the issue happens not just in IE (page cannot be displayed), but also in Mail, so I don't think it is IE specific. In IE, I choose Fix Connection Problems, and then the page loads, and maybe the next one, but the problem quickly recurs. It happens so quickly I don't think it is a sleep issue, though I could be wrong. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried using a different channel on your router? Most routers use channel 6 by default, but you could try using another channel from 1 to 11.

robjared05

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Among with my other problems with this tablet I am also having the same exact wifi issues as you. I am also unable to run most videos.. Plex is a total no-go. I'm getting error messages. It runs fine on my Dell Venue 8 and my son's Surface RT. I am beginning to think this has to go back as it's not ready for prime time.

Last edited:

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Same here. I actually returned my Surface 2 in favor of the new Nokia.
So get this. I go down to the Verizon Store to purchase one, After installing the sim card, the touch screen is dead, So they bring out another unit, This one the touch screen works, So I decide to take it home. I like the OP am only using the device in WiFi mode only, I actually removed the sim card after calling Verizon and disabling the device. Why pay 10.00 a month for something I am never going to use.

So anyways, I am having the exact issue with my wifi, works for maybe 5 minutes and dies. Even though it shows still connected. So all I can do is disconnect and reconnect and it works for 5 minutes.

I am so pissed off. I was on the phone with Verizon support for an hour, no fix, except take it back and get another one.
Funny reminds me of when I purchased my iPad Air 2 weeks ago. All excited, then to find out there is a nasty bug in the IOS 7 that crashes safari all the time. On the apple support forums its all over the place. IOS7 is broken, yet IOS 6 worked perfectly.

Now what?
Why did I return the Surface 2? not that I didn't like it I did, it just the Nokia is not as wide, easier to use as a tablet only device and the screen is awesome.....

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried using a different channel on your router? Most routers use channel 6 by default, but you could try using another channel from 1 to 11.
I changed my router to channel 4 and also checked with a program called inSSIDer which checks who is using what channel yes most people were on 6 and 11, unfortunately changing to channel 4 did not fix the problem. UGGGG.

Laura, are you telling us that your 2520 is working ok using wifi?

Steven

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I changed my router to channel 4 and also checked with a program called inSSIDer which checks who is using what channel yes most people were on 6 and 11, unfortunately changing to channel 4 did not fix the problem. UGGGG.

Laura, are you telling us that your 2520 is working ok using wifi?

Steven
I don't have a 2520. I just know that changing channels on a router will help if there are already a lot of other networks using that channel. I have the same program you do.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Send it to me and I'll run it through some extensive testing. Now, this will take about two years, as this is really exhaustive testing. You can be sure that when I return it, I will have worked out the WiFi issue for you. :grin:

GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Still investigating. So far the only reliable fix is turning Airplane Mode on then off. Obviously not the long term solution, but perhaps provides a hint?

GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I also noticed that I was running into similiar issues with my Surface 2, which uses another WLAN adapter (Marvell). This indicates this problem may not be a driver issue for a particular WLAN adapter, but instead a need to change router settings because of issues with RT 8.1. I can't change the RT 8.1 firmware, so I changed my router settings, and so far, so good ... no disconnects.

Based on suggestions in this very long (63 pages so far, so at least my misery has company) thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...i-issues/c593dff8-61b3-496c-b8f2-f9deb3e4b35e

I made the following changes to my router:

2.4 GHz only (no 5 GHz)
B/G only (no N)
Reserved DHCP address for 2520

While so far no disconnects, of course, this "solution", even if it indeed holds up, is not viable in situations in which we don't have control of the router (e.g., work, public). However, it does explain why some are not experiencing problems while others are; different router settings.

For a more global solution, at least until a firmware update addresses this issue, I would like to view the power management settings of the WLAN adapter to make sure it doesn't go to sleep (maximum performance setting). While I can access this setting through the GUI of "real" Windows 8.1, I don't see a way to do so through the GUI of 8.1 RT. There probably is a registry setting but I haven't yet found it.

Hope this helps.

GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I have both 2.4 and 5GHz on with N. I'm thinking you may just have defective hardware.
Perhaps. But I had the same issue on my Surface 2. And others in the thread I linked to had similar issue. It may not be the router settings specifically. It may be other issues (such as other devices) interacting with this issue. Hard to say. Perhaps imput from others would help.

anon973381

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I highly suspect we are dealing with a simple driver issue or maybe even firmware (but I am still leaning towards the driver) that Qualcomm will need to correct. I do like how we are running Qualcomm end to end..

You may notice that disconnecting from the accesspoint and reconnecting after the unit comes back from sleep allows it to connect again.

This *should* be an easy bug to squash if they acknowledge that there is a bug.

Last edited:

GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I agree it's a bug. I suspect though it may be firmware not a driver. The reason is the Surface RT (see linked thread) and also my Surface 2 had a similar problem.

KoukiFC3S

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I went home and it just happened to me. I turned off wifi, it fell back into LTE and data was working fine. I then turn on wifi and that now works.

I'll report if it happens again.

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
Here is my WiFi update.
So I took my 2520 down to whole foods today and used there free WiFi hot spot. Everything worked perfect.
I have been using a Linksys EA4500 WiFi router successfully with all my WiFi devices including my Surface 2

So the issue is not the 2520 Its some issues at least for me with my Linksys router, I reset it to factory defaults, reconfigure, latest FW,, no go on either 2.4 or 5mhz connection same problem.
I then hooked up my older D Link 825 router, and what do you know works perfect and much faster too.
Moral of the story, try a different router.
I am now a happy 2520 user

GenghisKhent

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
But if the router works with all other devices than the 2520, is it really a router issue? Though for now, changing router settings, or the router, seems the only solution.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786