GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I typically set up SSID's to be different on dual-band, just so I know which one I'm on easily. For ATT there was another firmware update on 2/18/2014 that included a new version of the WLAN Adapter. I think this was the first time they revved it. Went from date of 10/23/2013 to 12/9/2013.

That makes sense. I assume that typically a device uses one or the other unless it has a dual-band capability in which case it will use both even if the SSID is different?

I noticed the firmware update too. I didn't find out what it updated. Hopefully it clears up the issues with a long WiFi transfer. I'll have to try it again and see if it completes without quitting requiring a reboot.

sundawg#WP

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. I assume that typically a device uses one or the other unless it has a dual-band capability in which case it will use both even if the SSID is different?

I noticed the firmware update too. I didn't find out what it updated. Hopefully it clears up the issues with a long WiFi transfer. I'll have to try it again and see if it completes without quitting requiring a reboot.

I listed what I found in the update here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-2520/265381-2520-update-morning.html#post2362719
Of course this doesn't mean anything unless people find out it fixed something....so let us know! :)

As for dual band, a device won't connect to both bands simultaneously. Not sure if that is what you were assuming. It will connect to one band or the other. As for which it picks may be a mystery. i.e. which is stronger, n over g, etc - up the adapter software/logic I believe.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I missed that thread. I did try a 4GB transfer over WiFi and it got stuck about 63% through. I had to reboot to get WiFi to work again. :(

AgentTheGreat

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The issue with my Surface RT was that it couldn't connect to any router that used a Channel above 10 (I guess). I am sure it couldn't detect the network (not even its name) if it was using Channel 13. So I changed the Channel and it works now.
I know it's about 2520, but I thought it may help.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My wife's Surface RT doesn't seem to have any issues with channel 11. On my 2520, I did find, after replacing my WiFi router with one that also has 5GHz that I can do the large transfer using the 5GHz band and it doesn't have the lock up issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb