Trying to decide

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
So, like others I'm sure, I'm trying to decide between the Surface 2 and Lumia 2520. I've read quite a few reviews and follow these forums closely but I still can't make up my mind.

I have a Lumia 1020 right now. I'm wondering, is it smarter to go with the 2520 and stay within the Nokia Lumia family? Are there enough features for syncing to put the 2520 over the Surface 2? I love the 1020, and I do like the Nokia and Here apps, but I'm wondering how much I would use those apps on the tablet.

Others in the same position? Have you made a choice?

I guess these are good problems to have. :smile:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that the major consideration would be whether or not you need a tablet with LTE capability. That is the major difference between the 2520 and the Surface 2.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
True, I've thought about that. I am probably not going to get a data plan, so the Surface 2 might be a better choice. But, I do like Nokia products and the looks of the 2520.

Also, the free keyboard offer with the 2520 (if I buy it in time) is a factor for me.

05Paris

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got the 2520 and just was required to get 250 mb data for a total of $15/mnly...this with the $199 pricing, plus a $50 credit when I activate + the keyboard + $20 credit in spend in the store. Go with the 2520.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It was about the form factor and screen for me. The Lumia felt better when being held, and even though it's the same thickness in the middle, the tapered edges of the Lumia make it feel like a much smaller device. When I put the two side-by-side in the MS store, it became immediately apparent that the 2520's screen was quite a bit better. I use a laptop for anything productive, and a tablet purely as a consumption device, so it didn't bother me that the keyboard and general accessory options for the Surface were a lot better (and easier to get ahold of), or that the Surface had a full-sized USB port. I also didn't think the 4G would be useful, but it really is.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a Lumia, but I'm scared as hell with all the problems it seems to have. So many issues on these forums.
  1. Micro USB 3 not working
  2. Micro HDMI not working
  3. All kinds of issues with MicroSD cards
  4. Games not working
  5. Won't wake from sleep

The oddest part is that Nokia hasn't put out anything public yet about the problems and if patches are coming....

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
They responded to me on the tech support line that the Micro USB and Micro HDMI ports are fully enabled and that if they are not working for me I should exchange the device. With the number of people having problems here, it seems like they are in full-on denial mode. I don't think I've seen a single success story with these ports.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 2520 is a success story. Granted she hasn't tried games other than Wordament or Team Crossword, and hasn't used USB or HDMI since neither of those are important to her, but she's had no other issues and is completely happy with it. I'll be getting mine today in the mail (yay!), and will probably try out all those other things, so I'll let you know if I run into problems.

nwtravler

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 2520 and is was good, since I bought it on day 1 I couldn't get the keyboard for free and since there wasn't a keyboard available yet I returned it and got a Surface 2. I like the Surface better, the keyboard rocks, the screen is much more sensitive and easier to use with touch, display is the same, performance for what I do is the same, the kick stand kicks ***. The LTE was nice on the Nokia but hotspot on the phone gets me by fine.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd think about how you are going to use the device. I have a 2520 now, and I came from a Surface 2. I'll admit I'm really missing the S2. The main thing I'm missing is the kickstand! Combined with the keyboard cover, it makes a very versatile device. I can use it as a tablet on my couch, at my bedside as a movie viewer, or at my desktop as a workstation. Those configurations can be made almost instantly. Maybe my opinion will change once the 2520 keyboard cover is here, but after watching videos of it in action, I'm not so sure.

I'm also having a few issues with the 2520 I didn't have with my S2. The 64gb memory card that did work with the S2 will not hold pictures on my 2520. I can save them, but after a few hours they disappear. I changed to a 32gb and I've had no problems. I've also had hilarious graphics issues with certain games; Dungeon Hunter 4 and Asphalt 8 are two that are the biggest offenders. I tried them both on my dad's RT, and they work. As far as speed is concerned, you may find a benchmark that states the 2520 is faster than the S2, but in real world usage they seem identical. All this to say, if you don't mind spending the extra money, and don't need LTE, the S2 is a much better device based on my experiences.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I ended up buying a Surface 2 last night and so far I'm happy with it. The kickstand is definitely awesome!
I didn't buy a keyboard yet, but that might be a Christmas gift.

dawizel56

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the 2520 and wanted the kickstand function so I purchased the Verizon cover with kickstand for 30 dollars. Works great. It does add a little thickness but it solved my major problem. Waiting now for my free Keyboard cover in six weeks but this will do until then.
dual-cover-with-kickstand-lumia-2520-black-gray-NOK2520DCBLKGRAY
[h=3]Dual Cover with Kickstand for Lumia 2520[/h]

kuau

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I started with the S2, using it just for consumption, nothing wrong with the S2 I just liked the form factor on the 2520 much better then the S2.
IMHO if you are looking for just a tablet, I would go for the Nokia. Yeah it cost $50.00 more, but for me it was worth it. The S2 is about a half inch wider and I find using the touch keyboard onscreen is easier to use then the S2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes