MicroUSB not working?

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't expect the 2520 to have an OTG connector. I would expect it to operate in host mode to attach peripherals. I would not expect it to act as a peripheral itself (for example, to attach the 2520 a PC just to expose it as a mass storage device). Has anyone tried an OTG connector?

Unfortunately, I don't have any USB Type-A to Type-A cables handy to test whether my non-OTG adapter will allow me to attach the 2520 to my PC. All of the full-sized USB cables I have lying around are Type-A to Type-B.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't expect the 2520 to have an OTG connector. I would expect it to operate in host mode to attach peripherals. I would not expect it to act as a peripheral itself (for example, to attach the 2520 a PC just to expose it as a mass storage device). Has anyone tried an OTG connector?

Unfortunately, I don't have any USB Type-A to Type-A cables handy to test whether my non-OTG adapter will allow me to attach the 2520 to my PC. All of the full-sized USB cables I have lying around are Type-A to Type-B.

If you look at the post above by Boasist, the cable he links to that is working is a OTG cable, which is why I figured that could be the issue.

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
If you look at the post above by Boasist, the cable he links to that is working is a OTG cable, which is why I figured that could be the issue.
But the one he is USB 2.0, not USB 3.0 which uses both parts of the connector. No one has had any trouble using USB 2.0 adapters, just the 3.0 ones.

I'd order up a Micro USB 3.0 OTG adapter, but the ones I've found on Amazon all have super-slow shipping from China. The one I was able to get quickly was not OTG.

All I'm saying is that I'd expect OTG on a phone. I wouldn't have expected it on the 2520 (which is why I bought the non-OTG version of the adapter).

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
But at this point, we do not know if the people using the USB 2.0 adapters are using OTG or not (we do know that one is). The USB 3.0 OTG adapter I just ordered from Ebay should ship from the US, so I hope to have it within a week, and then we will know, if Nokia does not come out with the solution before then. If I am wrong, I am only out $5. I figured it was worth the gamble, as I find it hard to believe there is a hardware issue with all of our 2520's. I will post my results as soon as I get it.

Last edited:

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
But at this point, we do not know if the people using the USB 2.0 adapters are using OTG or not (we do know that one is). The USB 3.0 OTG adapter I just ordered from Ebay should ship from the US, so I hope to have it within a week, and then we will know, if Nokia does not come out with the solution before then. If I am wrong, I am only out $5. I figured it was worth the gable, as I find it hard to believe there is a hardware issue with all of our 2520's. I will post my results as soon as I get it.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you and am eagerly waiting for your results before I make my move.

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
But at this point, we do not know if the people using the USB 2.0 adapters are using OTG or not (we do know that one is). The USB 3.0 OTG adapter I just ordered from Ebay should ship from the US, so I hope to have it within a week, and then we will know, if Nokia does not come out with the solution before then. If I am wrong, I am only out $5. I figured it was worth the gamble, as I find it hard to believe there is a hardware issue with all of our 2520's. I will post my results as soon as I get it.

When you say micro 3.0 OTG cable do you mean to say this one below?

Amazon.com: Black Color Micro USB 3.0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Samsung Galaxy Note3 N900 N9000 10cm: Cell Phones & Accessories

And will this have enough power to power a portable HDD such as the one below?

Amazon.com: Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBU1000101 (Silver): Computers & Accessories

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that looks exactly like the one I just ordered, though I got it on Ebay for $5. I do not know if it will work or not, but for $5, it is worth a try for me. I will post my results as soon as I get it. As to enough power for an external HDD, that I do not know. You may need to find out how much power it need and fine out from Nokia if the port can handle that much power.

trywithaustin

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that looks exactly like the one I just ordered, though I got it on Ebay for $5. I do not know if it will work or not, but for $5, it is worth a try for me. I will post my results as soon as I get it. As to enough power for an external HDD, that I do not know. You may need to find out how much power it need and fine out from Nokia if the port can handle that much power.

Well I just got off the call from Nokia support, *they* say that it is not the OTG, its just the micro USB 3.0 Type A connector. Am confused!!

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
It can't be a Micro USB 3.0 Type A connector. The port is a Micro USB 3.0 Type B! WTH!!

You can use a Micro USB 2.0 connector just fine but your stuck at the slower 2.0 speeds.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that confirms my theory that it is not a USB 2.0 vs 3.0 issue but standard adapter cable vs OTG cable. Looks like the 2520 requires an OTG cable. Thanks for posting your success! I will post if the cable I ordered on EBay works, but it looks like it should. I hope somebody at Nokia can confirm and get the word out so others will not think they have a problem with their tablet.

girishp

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Only USB 2.0 connectors are working.
I think it is a software issue, because I have used the Micro USB 3 connector (the blue one) on other devices and they work fine.

I expect Nokia/Microsoft to provide the updated driver to fix this issue.

The keyboard dock uses the bottom pin connectors to provide USB 2.0 ports at the back, so they would obviously work fine.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Only USB 2.0 connectors are working.
I think it is a software issue, because I have used the Micro USB 3 connector (the blue one) on other devices and they work fine.

I expect Nokia/Microsoft to provide the updated driver to fix this issue.

The keyboard dock uses the bottom pin connectors to provide USB 2.0 ports at the back, so they would obviously work fine.

Actually, if you look at the link of the cable daelumia had success with, it is a USB 3.0 OTG cable, so USB 3.0 does work if the correct cable is used, it appears.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Actually, if you look at the link of the cable daelumia had success with, it is a USB 3.0 OTG cable, so USB 3.0 does work if the correct cable is used, it appears.
Why doesn't my USB 3.0 OTG cable work then? This is really annoying. Does anyone have a non-OTG USB3 cable that works?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99