MicroUSB not working?

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I bought a micro USB adapter from an Amazon seller, but I can't get any devices to work. I've tried a thumb drive, keyboard, and YubiKey. I now have no idea whether it's my 2520 that is faulty, or the adapter that I purchased. Has anyone else had any luck with an adapter?

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I picked up an adapter on Ebay, and I cannot get my 2520 to see any thumb drive I put in it. My tablet has been working perfect except for that. I am wondering if it is just a firmware or setting issue, or if the adapter I picked up is defective. I am going to wait until I see if others are able to get a thumb drive to work. Since you are having the same issue, my gut feeling is it is software/driver/setting issue.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
I picked up an adapter on Ebay, and I cannot get my 2520 to see any thumb drive I put in it. My tablet has been working perfect except for that. I am wondering if it is just a firmware or setting issue, or if the adapter I picked up is defective. I am going to wait until I see if others are able to get a thumb drive to work. Since you are having the same issue, my gut feeling is it is software/driver/setting issue.

did you both got that adapter from same supplier??

Sent from my Uuusumm Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Mine is different. Since others in a different thread are experiencing the same issue, it makes me believe even more that it is not hardware related.

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
@NokiaCareUS on twitter is no help at all. Going to have to call actual Nokia Support and try to find a tech that understands our problem.

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
According to the Windows Device Manager, my "Generic USB Hub" (under Qualcomm USB XHCI Filter Device -> USB Root Hub (xHCI)) is not connected. So, either it's physically not connected, or more likely it has been disabled in the BIOS (or equivalent). Its events shows that it was configured, as was an "ASIX AX88772C USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter. This probably just means that the drive INF details were preloaded onto the system.

I really don't understand. Am I supposed to wait for this device to be enabled at some future point by Nokia? And I'm just supposed to hope it works as expected after my return period?

Same goes for the Power Keyboard... What if it's a real pile of dog crap? Now I'm stuck with the 2520 which I bought assuming the keyboard was readily available. I'm not liking the situation I'm in, and Nokia may have to suffer a return of a perfectly good item so I can protect my interests.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
According to the Windows Device Manager, my "Generic USB Hub" (under Qualcomm USB XHCI Filter Device -> USB Root Hub (xHCI)) is not connected. So, either it's physically not connected, or more likely it has been disabled in the BIOS (or equivalent). Its events shows that it was configured, as was an "ASIX AX88772C USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter. This probably just means that the drive INF details were preloaded onto the system.

Ouch, that is not a good sign as I don't have an RT device myself I was wondering is it even possible in getting into the bios?

MikeF74

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Ouch, that is not a good sign as I don't have an RT device myself I was wondering is it even possible in getting into the bios?
Here's an even worse sign. I called Nokia and told them I could not connect anything to the device via the USB port. He suggested I might have the wrong adapter. I asked him if the USB ports on these devices are fully enabled, he told me that they were. I forgot to mention the fact that it is showing as "not connected" in Device Manager. When I brought up the fact that many others on the forum seem to be having the same problem, his response was that "anybody can say anything online" -- as if there were some sort of defamation conspiracy. He tells me that the ports are indeed enabled and that anybody having problems should return the device. Great.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I find it hard to believe so many people have bad ports. I am not going to return mine, as everything else is perfect, and I have a 2 year warranty. I can live without it for a while until we see if somebody figures it out. Has anybody been successful plugging anything into the USB port? It may be a month or so before any of us get our powered keyboard to test the USB 2.0 ports on it to see if it has the same issue. Maybe somebody needs to go into an ATT, Verizon or Microsoft store and try plugging in an adapter and a flash drive to see if it works. I am not near my Microsoft store, but if I ever do go down that direction, I will try it out. I am thinking not many people have tried the port since nobody has easy access to an micro USB adapter, which is why Nokia has not heard of the issue much. I for sure would not return one without first trying the adapter/flash drive in a display unit at a store. Maybe if it fails at a Microsoft store, they can drive it to Nokia to look into the issue.

peacock93

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
2.0 adapters are working. The issue is we cannot get 3.0 adapters to work. I finally got someone at Nokia Support to understand the issue and they are suppose to get back with me. I'll keep this thread updated as I get more info.

I still think it's a driver issue or it's not enabled by Nokia.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, so two of you have the USB port working with a USB 2.0 adapter, but nobody seems to have it working with a USB 3.0 adapter...Thanks for all of your posts. I thought I had a bad USB adapter or slight chance of a bad port on my new Nokia toy, but all of this points to driver/firmware issues and not hardware. Peacock93, thanks for persisting with Nokia support. Hopefully you will have an answer for us soon. If push comes to shove. a 2.0 USB adapter is cheap and will do until the issue is resolved.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
OK, after doing some research, I see that there are two kinds of micro USB cables, standard micro USB and micro USB OTG (on the go). They are wired slightly different (see below). The link to the amazon cable above is for an OTG cable, so I am wondering if it is a USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 issue or USB vs USB OTG issue. Peacock93, is the USB 2.0 adapter you are having success with an OTG adapter or just a USB adapter. I know the USB adapter I purchased is not OTG. It would be great if it was just a lack of good documentation that you need a specific adapter cable and not a hardware or firmware issue. I just ordered a USB micro USB 3.0 OTG cable from Ebay for $5. I will report back when I get it if it works. Here is what I just ordered. Micro USB 3 0 9pin OTG Host Flash Disk Cable for Galaxy NOTE3 N9000 Black 9 Inch | eBay. If it does, I kind of like the idea of a cable vs. a adapter / flash drive sticking out 4" from the side of my table, just waiting to be hit and damaging the port. I hope to have it this weekend or the beginning of next week.

217616d1350834457t-z30-usb-host-mode-not-working-difference_circuit_271738111300.jpg

Last edited:

rbiasca

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the usb 3.0 otg is made to fit the 2520 it has the two different shaped plugs, i bet you could use a regular cable and it only fits the one port.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion