Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and needed some advice.

I bought a Surface 2 (NOT Pro) less than a week ago. Today I was the Lumia 2520 and I am kind of interested in it now. My biggest concern is battery life and speed. My surface 2 kind of lags and freezes while playing games and i have to close the game out and restart it to fix the issue. Can someone advise me whether I should exchange it for a Lumia 2520 for keep the Surface 2.
    I would really appreciate the help.
    Thanks!

- Also if I get the AT&T off contract version can I use it with a T-Mobile sim card?
    02-24-2014 12:05 PM
    Anyone?
    02-24-2014 12:18 PM
    I personally don't game too much on the 2520, but I love the screen and speediness of the tablet. I have read many reports of games not running correctly (or at all) so you may want to research it.

I find the battery life to be exceptional, just about on par with my ipad 2, but I find the 2520 has less standby life. The one thing I absolutely love is the quick charging... It charges 80% in one hour. The claim is legitimate. Also, note that if you pair it with the Nokia keyboard, you get an additional battery on the keyboard.

Also worth noting is the LTE capabilities on the 2520, which is the main differentiation aside from the screen.

On the T-Mobile issue, I have no certainty, but I think I read somewhere that the AT&T is not unlockable quite yet. I'm sure you can discover your answer in the forums.
    02-24-2014 12:22 PM
    Anyone?
    You waited 13 minutes to bump your own post? This isn't a chatroom, man. Have a little patience.
    02-24-2014 12:23 PM
    If you're playing games on a tablet, you're doing it wrong. On a serious note, I'd recommend sticking with the Surface 2. It'll have a longer support life, and it looks nicer. The Lumia tablet does seem pretty good, but unless you get it for cheap, or swap with someone, I don't think it's worth the time and effort.
    02-24-2014 12:31 PM
    I was thinking of actually sticking with the surface 2 as well now because i just saw that the lumia 2520 has a lower resolution front camera and I really like having a good resolution front camera as i Skype a lot. See the main problem i'm having with the surface 2 is that the battery is draining quite rapidly. I use it for about 10 minutes playing a simple game and it will drain down 11 percent. Or if i listen to music for just like 5 minutes or so its down by 4-5%. Can you suggest any way to fix that?
    02-24-2014 12:48 PM
    The only game I've experienced some crashing would be Asphalt 8, but it does not crash often. The 2520 is very slick, responsive and fast. As for the battery, I use my 2520 when I'm at home for nearly everything and I charge it once every couple of days. Also, I have the Power Keyboard coming in, so that will also boost the battery life. I guess it all just comes down to preference, but I love the look and feel of the 2520.
    02-24-2014 01:43 PM
    No stuttering or lagging with mine, games I play are GTA, Asphalt 8 and Halo. The 2520 may have a lower rest camera but its by no means a bad front camera, I have had no complaints from people about poor quality when I Skype.
    02-24-2014 01:51 PM
    the 2520 has a better battery, screen and faster processor.

but you gotta get the power keyboard to have the best use of the tablet
    canonuevo likes this.
    02-24-2014 02:26 PM
    Here was my two cents on a similar thread on the Surface 2 Forum:

As someone who has had both devices, I ended up with the Nokia Lumia 2520. The wireless 4G/LTE connectivity, excellent screen, short charging times (coupled with long battery life) and portability of the tablet were all important aspects that helped my decision.

The Lumia is easier to hold around and comfortable because of the rounded edges VS. the sharp angles of the surface. Also because the screen is not too big, it is manageable to hold in portrait mode and much more comfortable. The soft touch of the device (black) is a bonus so it is pleasing to the touch. I also enjoy the super-fast charging (0-80% in one hour) so I can enjoy the tablet more on the go instead of being plugged in all the time, and I can get away with not charging. The power keyboard adds two USB ports, touchpad, physical keys along with an additional battery to supplement the main battery. It is also designed like a portfolio so it wraps and protects the tablet. I know the Surface will be offering a power keyboard with the battery priced at $199, with the Nokia Power Keyboard priced at $149.The lack of a physical USB port on the Lumia is not a drawback, you can find a OTG adapter for $3-5 if you look around.

Both screens are good, however the Nokia screen simply is unmatched by any tablet on the market for having the best color accuracy, brightest display, Nokia Clearblack to reduce reflection, and outdoor visibility. It is 74 percent brighter than the Surface 2 and 52 percent brighter than the iPad Air. You can read the view on DisplayMate, a site known for performing intense testing on displays. Windows Tablet Display Technology Shoot-Out

The only drawback I had is that the screen has no oleophobic coating, so it is a fingerprint/smudge magnet. I solved this issue buying the IllumiShield oleophobic screen protector on Amazon, and it has all the properly cutouts and significantly reduces smudges and fingerprints so it is smooth to operate the screen. I know the Surface has an oleophobic coating on it. The Surface also has the kickstand, and since I had the Surface before, the removal of such stand in the Lumia took a little time to get used to, but eventually I got over it.

Both are great devices, it just depends on how you think you will be using it. The ruggedness of the Lumia 2520 allows me to take it anywhere, indoors and outdoors, without having to worry about if it will scratch or break. Hope this was helpful and assisted you in your decision. Good luck!
    02-24-2014 06:46 PM
    I'd recommend sticking with the Surface 2. It'll have a longer support life, and it looks nicer.
    On what are you basing your claim? And the latter part, "it looks nicer," is clearly a personal taste issue. I think the 2520 looks nicer.
    02-24-2014 10:55 PM
    On what are you basing your claim? And the latter part, "it looks nicer," is clearly a personal taste issue. I think the 2520 looks nicer.
    I prefer the magnesium, and Microsoft is usually pretty good about their support life time. Whearas Nokia is being acquired and we don't entirely know what'll happen
    02-25-2014 07:57 AM
    Hey everyone,
    THANKS for all the helpful information. I really appreciate it. However, i've come across one more tablet which is the Dell Venue 11 Pro. I saw that it run Windows 8.1 & and not the RT version. Do you think that this one would be better against the surface?
    02-25-2014 10:12 AM
    Hey everyone,
    THANKS for all the helpful information. I really appreciate it. However, i've come across one more tablet which is the Dell Venue 11 Pro. I saw that it run Windows 8.1 & and not the RT version. Do you think that this one would be better against the surface?
    Yes, but I'm pretty sure its more expensive.
    02-25-2014 11:04 AM
    Is the material on the venue 11 as good as the material that the surface 2 is made of i mean like the back of the tablet?
    02-25-2014 01:03 PM
    I prefer the magnesium, and Microsoft is usually pretty good about their support life time. Whearas Nokia is being acquired and we don't entirely know what'll happen
    Ok, so pure unsubstantiated speculation. The Surface and 2520 target different people and different needs there isn't really any reason why MS would want to shrink their market on something already engineered and in production as long as sales are keeping up. Furthermore, why would they kill 1/2 of the WinRT tablet offerings? And before you think I'm merely justifying my purchase, I bought my Wife the Surface RT when it came out and I seriously looked at the Surface 2 but I wanted the design and size of the 2520 over the Surface with the only exception that I would rather have a keyboard attachment like the Surface has.
    phasar likes this.
    02-25-2014 06:50 PM
    Ok, so pure unsubstantiated speculation..
    But the Surface is manufactured by Microsoft, as is the OS, Windows RT. This means that it will more likely receive more updates and support, than the Lumia 2520 as it is manufactured by a company with less assets. It's speculation, but it has *some* substance. ;p
    02-25-2014 07:44 PM
    That's pure speculation. Nokia is known for quality. Why did MSFT buy them then?

The Nokia device rocks, only limitation is RT for some users. We have and love them. 2 iPad's later un-matched.

I take it you have never used a 2520 jack janik and own a surface 2.
    GizmoEV likes this.
    02-26-2014 08:33 PM
    Unless you need LTE I would definitely stick with the Surface 2.
    02-27-2014 07:23 AM
    I concur with most people in this thread. If you don't need the LTE, stay with the Surface 2. The Lumia 2520 is nice, but you're not missing much when it comes to raw power.
    02-27-2014 02:01 PM
    My 1020 just seems to function so much smoother than the 2520.
    02-27-2014 06:34 PM
    Don't know if it's lack of power, but my 2520 has serious problems trying to play personal videos, its almost embarrassing.Not being able to play videos on such a nice screen is disappointing considering the cost of the device.
    02-27-2014 06:49 PM
    Don't know if it's lack of power, but my 2520 has serious problems trying to play personal videos, its almost embarrassing.Not being able to play videos on such a nice screen is disappointing considering the cost of the device.
    Maybe you just have a bad unit? My 2520 handles every type of video flawlessly (provided I'm using the correct player.) I frequently watch 720p and 1080p content on it in avi, mp4, and mkv format- both streaming and local.
    02-27-2014 06:54 PM
    I have the original surface and it wasn't enough in my home so I bought the 2520 off contract for $399.00 at the MS store. It's the red one I miss the kickstand but the battery last much longer, the screen res, to my eyes is better on the 2520 The OS is the same so nothing there except I the 2520 seams to be somewhat smother, holding the device it's the 2520 hands down. both are nice tablets I just find the 2520 a little better in the hands.
    GizmoEV likes this.
    02-28-2014 02:43 AM