Nokia 2520 Resore VIA USB. Help!

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Hello, all.

I backed up my Nokia restore partition to a USB drive in order to fill up some additional space. Once I went to restore from the drive, it was gone. I am not saying it disappeared or something, I think maybe I set aside the incorrect USB stick, because the one I have labeled for the 2520 is clearly empty.

In any case, does anyone know how I can go about getting the restore partition for a AT&T Nokia Lumia 2520 in order to restore my system to factory fresh?

Many thanks in advance!

Codeworks

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried going down to the local ATT store to see if they would allow me to create a Recovery drive off of their floor model. They said sure, but upon trying it, it required an administrator password and no one in the store seemed to know what it was.

Anyway, if anyone has a recovery partition backed up on to a USB stick that they would be willing to host for me in order to download it, I would be most appreciative. I would even be willing to throw some $ over to you VIA Paypal.

​Thanks.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Do you know how to make an "ISO" of sorts of the USB drive so it can be uploaded? I have one but I'm not sure how to make the file for you. I have Win8 on my desktop. I could boot up my Linux box and try there if you know with that. Otherwise it would be sending a USB drive physically.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Regarding making a recovery drive, my 2520 refuses to format the Kingston DataTraveller USB stick I'm using. The stick is fine as my Win 7 laptop and my Linux laptops all see it and can format it.
I even logged in as admin on the 2520 to format the thumb drive from the command prompt - no dice.

Can anyone help?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Are you manually trying to format it? I just let the recovery backup do the formatting. Have you tried a different USB drive? I don't know if it makes a difference but are you using the USB port in the tablet or the keyboard? I used the one in the tablet.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm using one of the USB 2 ports on the keyboard as my thumb drive is USB 2; I'm waiting for my OTG cable. The odd thing is the USB drive does show in file explorer but Windows can't 'see' it.
See screenshot.

Are you manually trying to format it? I just let the recovery backup do the formatting. Have you tried a different USB drive? I don't know if it makes a difference but are you using the USB port in the tablet or the keyboard? I used the one in the tablet.

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).jpg
    Screenshot (1).jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

alex 7

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys... because I saw you have the Lumia 2520 can you please help me to find the recovery image..?

I would appriciate if someone upolad this for me in dropbox or anywhere else...

The procces of taking a USB recovery image is that:
Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space

So then you can transfer the files to your PC to Upload it...

And one advice: Keep a copy of this to your PC because maybe you will need it sometime...

Thanks in advance...

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I was a little slow in replying to Alex but in case someone else finds this info helpful I'm reposting part of what I sent to him.
I have a restore image on a USB drive. I found USB Image Tool at http://www.softpedia.com/progDownloa...ad-102752.html which I am using to create an image of the USB drive to post. I don't know if it matters but the USB drive the image is from is a SanDisk 8GB Cruzer Switch USB Flash Drive.

I created two image types. One was done in Device Mode and the other was in Volume Mode which created a 7.8GB file each time. I'm assuming that if the USB drive were smaller that the image would be smaller. I did check to see what it would take to make an ISO image out of a USB image and it isn't exactly simple since this is a bootable image we are talking about. It looks simpler to just stick with a USB image since that is what the tablet will likely be booted with anyway. Another thing I'm not sure of is what happens if an image is restored to a USB drive that is larger than the image. I'm sure a smaller drive can't be used.

Hope this helps someone.

The_Hex

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

I am urgently looking for a recovery image. I'm quite sure my recovery partition got corrupted and now my Windows RT system files are corrupted and Windows refuses to active. If anyone could upload a copy somewhere and send me a link I would be unbelievably grateful.

Thanks!

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I am urgently looking for a recovery image. I'm quite sure my recovery partition got corrupted and now my Windows RT system files are corrupted and Windows refuses to active.

I assume you are talking about a Lumia 2520. If you are talking about a Surface RT then go to MS site and download the image. If the 2520, I have two with apparently different original images. The older one I purchased during the small "Free keyboard" window and the second one I purchased in September 2014. The newest one didn't have to do the Win 8 to 8.1 update which is why I think its image is newer. Which one do you want? Oh, these are US versions on AT&T.

kontogsl

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I am looking for this recovery file as well. I somehow lost the thumb drive that I moved my recovery image to. If you could onedrive it to me I can pm you with my email address.

The_Hex

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
GizmoVE, sorry for this late reply, man. I kind of lost track of this forum/thread. But I'm still desperately looking for a Nokia Lumia 2520 image. My tablet definitely came with W RT 8.1. The only problem is that I imported mine from the UK. I suspect if the model number is the same, your image might work on my tablet. My model number is RX-113

eomes

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I just received my Lumia 2520 and just as soon as I got my tablet activated, downloaded a couple of apps it suddenly switched off. When I switched it back on again it showed the 'sad face' BSOD:

WP_20141206_22_51_42_Pro.jpg

Then it kept restarting and showing the same message over and over again with a few exceptions when it showed some particular errors instead of the one above (and hanged for 10+ minutes at 100%):

WP_20141205_15_19_42_Pro.jpg

This kept on going but then I managed to get to the 'Diagnosing your PC' screen followed by:

WP_20141206_22_53_04_Pro.jpg

None of the options (such as 'Start-up Repair', 'Refresh your PC') fixed anything. So I reckon the only way to make the tablet boot up again is to 'Reset' it using recovery file via USB. It's just that I can't get it from anywhere: looked online for ages - it's not there, tried going to a local shop where they have 2520 in the display - I was not allowed to use it. Could someone share a copy of such file, please?

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If I were you, I would exchange your tablet for another one. Something is definitely wrong with that one and a restore from USB is unlikely to fix it. I'll PM you a link to a couple of images I created in case they happen to work. Also, I would use the micro usb port on the tablet, not the USB on the keyboard, for the restore just to eliminate any extra variables.

eomes

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, David. I don't have the keyboard so I'll be using the USB port on the tablet. Which version tablet do you have: RX-113 or RX-114? Mine is the former. Wondering if it makes difference or not.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
All three of mine are RX-114. They are all for US based AT&T. I don't know if the Verizon version is the same or not.

eomes

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine is international as I bought the UK version. Hm... I guess if it's no good for my tablet version I will be notified before the Restoration process. Hopefully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos