2520 possible built issue

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone, I picked up a 2520 and have a few concerns. Mine feels really flimsy, holding it in both hands if I apply just a little pressure with my fingers you can see the screen blotch where my fingers are and I'm able to push the back in fairly easily. Also without much effort in able to bend and twist the tablet. My question is is this normal for this unit and is the screen actually glass?? It feels way different then my 1520's screen.

thanks guys.

EzraWard

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've seen that with my 2520. The thing is, I've owned a Surface Pro and Surface RT and both devices have exhibited similar issues(not bending, but with screen warping). I think its a consequence of how they are designed unfortunately.

Side note: Have you ever had issues with phantom touches on your 2520? I have them a lot when waking from sleep and it's currently the problem on mine that I'm looking into.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I haven't had it long enough to answer that yet but I can say mine feels kind of laggy and you have to touch multiple times to get an input at times.

As for the screen its not warped but doesn't feel like a glass screen should, very flimsy feeling is the best way I can decide it, like I said I can bend the unit very easily, maybe flex is the better term lol, but yes I feel I could fold it in half without much effort

EzraWard

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the 2520 is definitely flexible and that makes me a little nervous with mine. As for the screen being sort of flexible, I think that has to do with the way a lot of LCD screens are made today. They fuse the LCD panel and the glass together and that means there's no space between the two. I think it makes it easier to make the screen warp. Not to mention, the glass on the 2520 seems like it's thinner than it could be.

Someone please correct me if what I'm saying is off.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I haven't had it long enough to answer that yet but I can say mine feels kind of laggy and you have to touch multiple times to get an input at times.

As for the screen its not warped but doesn't feel like a glass screen should, very flimsy feeling is the best way I can decide it, like I said I can bend the unit very easily, maybe flex is the better term lol, but yes I feel I could fold it in half without much effort

On the laggy touch, make sure you have updated to the latest windows updates. At least on the ATT versions, the last update seems to have really fixed my touch issues, especially on IE. Now everything is as responsive as I feel it should be. Others have reported the same thing. I am not sure if is was a windows or firmware in the update that fixed it, but it was a very nice improvement. I do not know if the Verizon models got the update yet.

On the flimsy issue, I do not feel it is flimsy. I have had mine since the first week and it works like a champ. I keep mine in a case or the powered keyboard to protect it. Any time you try to make a device thin and light, I do not think there is any way to avoided flex. If they made it stronger, everybody would probably complain it was too thick and heavy, like they did for the Luisa 920.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I do have all the updates, like I said before I think I'm just still undecided and looking for issues. The one thing I like is the LTE radio and now the surface 2 is coming to AT&T ugh FML lol.

EzraWard

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't know specifically about the Surface 2. However, with experience with the Surface RT, the screen will warp on the edges when pressed fairly normally just like the Lumia 2520. As for overall flexibility, the Surface was much sturdier.

DaT Franchise

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Ez, well its been 3 days sense I've had it and I think I have a bad unit, its still not as fluid as I've seen on a lot of the reviews. I've done a full rest and reinstall the updates and still not up to par. My 1520 was a bit laggy for the first week and the battery life was horrific but now its a monster and battery live is insane so I may give it another few days.

acedl

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
Hmm.. well isn't flimsy but again didn't try to bend it?

I'd go compare it one a store model.

Sent from my XT907 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss