lack of "crucial" mobile apps for Windows RT

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm loving my new 2520. IE Modern is by far the best mobile browser and even allows me to pin tiles to my start screen for Spotify, Pandora, Facebook, Amazon Prime, Amazon Cloud Player, and Party Cloud.

That said, I can't recommend it to people who feel they needs apps like Instagram, Vine, Tinder, and Snapchat on a tablet. Personally, those apps aren't important to me and they're really meant for small phone screens but some won't even consider a Windows tablet without them.

Any solutions? 3rd party apps? Hopefully the devs of the Windows Phone apps will make them unified apps soon.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If its any consolation, RT IE is a desktop-caliber browser so much of those will work great in the browser probably.

As for snapchat, a universal 6Snap would be great but doesn't exist for us plebeians as of now.

wrm1

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I personally would love to see something that enables Java viewing in the "desktop caliber browser". It would also be nice if Microsoft would release it's apps (office remote, etc) for windows rt.

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
If its any consolation, RT IE is a desktop-caliber browser so much of those will work great in the browser probably.

As for snapchat, a universal 6Snap would be great but doesn't exist for us plebeians as of now.
Vine, Tinder, and a slew of other apps aren't on the web unfortunately.

Jack Janik

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Vine, Tinder, and a slew of other apps aren't on the web unfortunately.
Aye, I'm a frequent user of Vine, and it hurts as there is NO way to upload a "Vine" from the web browser. You *must* have an app for it..
I don't use the others, but yes, RT is severely lacking in the apps department. At least we have the browser, and MS Essentials, right? (Not including Movie Maker, which saddens me..)

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft actually released a movie editor app, a universal app in fact called Movie Magic. There's also Nokia's own Video director app as well.

Movie Maker would be great on RT's desktop.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site

No, it isn't a consolation because RT IE is NOT a desktop-caliber browser. It doesn't support plug-ins. The ability to load a particular website in IE is not a comparable replacement for a website-as-an-app. Apps are designed for touch, loading a site in IE is not. In most cases you can do it, but the experience is inferior to a site optimized for a touch interface.

ChumsFuture

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
No, it isn't a consolation because RT IE is NOT a desktop-caliber browser. It doesn't support plug-ins. The ability to load a particular website in IE is not a comparable replacement for a website-as-an-app. Apps are designed for touch, loading a site in IE is not. In most cases you can do it, but the experience is inferior to a site optimized for a touch interface.
I disagree. A 10" screen is more than adequate to handle touch on IE Modern websites like Amazon Cloud Player, Pandora, etc. No you don't get big buttons like you would on an actual app but the full website contains all features and isn't stripped down like most apps.

BTW, Vine just drastically updated their website allowing you to log in, view videos, etc. That's progress for RT's browser. Instagram and the other hold outs need to follow suit.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Ok, hashtags works also with InstaPic. I just uploaded one pic with hashtags #Lumia1020 and #LaPalma.

View attachment 65411

The problem was with third party apps if you uploaded to IG with a third party app your hashtags wouldn't be searchable by anyone else it would show up fine for u but if other users searched ur same hashtags ur posts would be hidden

http://www.windowscentral.com/instagram-windows-phone-and-great-tag-kerfuffle-3rdparty-apps

The consensus seems to be that anyone who posted via Instance, Instagraph (rarer, though still possible) and HYPERLINK "http://www.windowscentral.com/instapic-first-fully-featured-native-instagram-app-win-8"InstaPic (for Windows 8) now have their accounts flagged for hashtag indexing. Even users of the HYPERLINK "http://www.windowscentral.com/tag/6tagram-0"6tagram beta (version 12 and earlier) will have been marked by Instagram as potentially being spam.
Our account at HYPERLINK "http://instagram.com/daniel_rubino"daniel_rubino has been identified as offending, making our hashtags useless. That account was created on Android, HYPERLINK "http://instagram.com/p/Xlr37Hw20D/"first posted using Instagraph, with the bulk of the uploaded images via Instance.

jeffreymclean

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Here are some apps that I think that are missing on windows RT:
Amazon Instant Video (although MS video app has about the same prices)
MLB At Bat. Can do most through IE, but would be nice to have an app
WebEx. This is a biggie for me, since this needs java to work in the web browser
Cortona
Good for Enterprise
Sirius XM (once again, can work in the browser, better in the desktop browser)
Pandora works in ie
Spotify works in ie, can't download music
TripIt (bought an excellent mytrips)
United App is just a wrapper for their web site, would like a real app
Battery app
data sense (like windows phone)
Notification center (like windows phone(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member