Power Keyboard disconnecting

Kylie141

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
This might not help everyone, but it solved the problem for me. 1) Verizon only sends keyboards back. They don't solve problems or repair the keyboard. I am on my second new keyboard because of that. 2) Nokia does say run Windows update before you first use your keyboard. However, I found that this did not perform the required BIOS update that the keyboard needs to run right. If you go to the Nokia support site and search for keyboard, you will find the information on that update. I finally performed a "Reset" on the tablet (see PC Settings, Update and Recovery. Then I went to Windows update and clicked on Manual update, and voil?. The proper BIOS update appeared. It was still installing after 48 hours and would not complete. Someone on the Geek Squad said go ahead and power down and cross my fingers. Voil? again, the tablet powered on and works fine, with all my settings remembered. 3) I connected the keyboard, and then used a tip this same Geek Squad guy gave me: Go to PC settings, Ease of Access, Keyboard, and then turn off the Filter keys. Now my keyboard works fine.

Last edited:

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine kind of did the same thing when I first got it. It seems that the tablet is not seated tight enough to put pressure onto the pins which causes flaky connection when being bumped. Eventually it fixed itself though but when I fold the tablet it will disconnect and reconnect (very intermittent). Eventually the two guide pins on the keyboard cover port broke off somehow and ever since then, the keyboard hasn't had a problem.

That's crazy, I don't know if I could attempt to break those two pieces off, even if I did actually have my keyboard now. Would be too worried something else would fail on it too. That could be some of the problem though, it may just not sit completely flush with those pins, glad it's working out for you now though.

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the verizon one seems to be real iffy acting with the keyboard. Sadly, my AT&T version one was acting funny and seems to show no sign of ever coming back from Nokia at this point. Glad that fix is working for you though.

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Nokia haven't got a clue. . . On to plan B.

Plan B was to write to Nokia UK, detailing the issues and explaining the Sales Of Goods Act in simple English (I mentioned the Small Claims Court too).
On Thursday, June 12th, I received a letter and a sticky label. Nokia asked for me to return said keyboard for either a refund or replacement; I opted for the replacement.

Now to wait...

reykjavik2014

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
This might not help everyone, but it solved the problem for me. 1) Verizon only sends keyboards back. They don't solve problems or repair the keyboard. I am on my second new keyboard because of that. 2) Nokia does say run Windows update before you first use your keyboard. However, I found that this did not perform the required BIOS update that the keyboard needs to run right. If you go to the Nokia support site and search for keyboard, you will find the information on that update. I finally performed a "Reset" on the tablet (see PC Settings, Update and Recovery. Then I went to Windows update and clicked on Manual update, and voil?. The proper BIOS update appeared. It was still installing after 48 hours and would not complete. Someone on the Geek Squad said go ahead and power down and cross my fingers. Voil? again, the tablet powered on and works fine, with all my settings remembered. 3) I connected the keyboard, and then used a tip this same Geek Squad guy gave me: Go to PC settings, Ease of Access, Keyboard, and then turn off the Filter keys. Now my keyboard works fine.

I believe this is a pin contact issue and not a software one. The rest is coincidence. Its warmer out, more humid, perhaps everyone keyboard is now working perfectly now that the metal pins have expanded a bit and the humidity coated it a bit more. The rest is just coincidence.

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Plan B was to write to Nokia UK, detailing the issues and explaining the Sales Of Goods Act in simple English (I mentioned the Small Claims Court too).
On Thursday, June 12th, I received a letter and a sticky label. Nokia asked for me to return said keyboard for either a refund or replacement; I opted for the replacement.

Now to wait...

I actually got another call the other day asking about my tablet and when I told them I have been waiting over two months to hear anything about my keyboard, she started talking about how they haven't been able to get in contact with the repair center and she would try again. I told her to forget it and I have given up waiting and will be getting rid of my tablet and phone and be done with them. Amazingly somehow after saying that she mentioned that they did have a way how they could just put in for a replacement for me and have it sent to me (how convenient this option appears when I'm fed up and talk about leaving the ecosystem), she then said she would try to call the center again though and see what's up and call me back in an hour or two and do the keyboard replacement if she couldn't get in contact with them. Two hours later she calls back, says she was able to get in touch with them, but will put in for the replacement (still never even mentioned anything about what happened with mine!?). And of course the new problem now is that they don't currently have stock of the keyboard and will have some in on Tuesday, at which point she will have it prepared for me and I will receive the tracking info for it.

If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm not exactly holding my breath for Tuesday to come along and actually receive some good news for once from them. Am for sure selling it and moving on to the Surface series after this, ridiculous!

mkmarine

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I actually got another call the other day...

If it's not one thing, it's another. I'm not exactly holding my breath for Tuesday to come along and actually receive some good news for once from them. Am for sure selling it and moving on to the Surface series after this, ridiculous!
Thanks for the update. Mine has been slowly getting worse and worse. We can't be the only ones with the problem, right?

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I can't imagine, but most people don't want to say anything bad about Nokia and risk being scorned. Its sad that after 2 months I have to wait even longer because they font even have their own keyboard in stock.

Hopefully yours gets better though, maybe someone will get good news eventually.

TechFranz

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I had this same issue. What resolved the constant keyboard disconnections was to reset and wipe the tablet back to factory and then install all the updates and firmware. Everytime an update completes and the device restarts, check for additional updates. Eventually you will have the new firmware and all the updates installed. Then the keyboard should quit disconnecting.

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
After about three months, dozens of phone calls, unhelpful and unhonestly terrible at their jobs CS agents. I finally have my new power keyboard back from Nokia. Thank goodness I will never have to deal with Nokia's support again!

donald0

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I was experiencing the same issue as well. What I found was that there are two very very small black tabs on either side of the connector on the keyboard that had broken off, and got wedged into a place that didn't allow a good connection between the tablet and the holder. This was causing all kinds of erratic charging and keyboard behavior.

I removed them and the problem went away. I do have to be careful lining up the tablet putting in in, but if I do it right I don't notice the issue any more.

mkmarine

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
After about three months, dozens of phone calls, unhelpful and unhonestly terrible at their jobs CS agents. I finally have my new power keyboard back from Nokia. Thank goodness I will never have to deal with Nokia's support again!
Hey jraad,
Is the keyboard working now? I've been hesitant to even pursue a replacement based on your experience.

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the connection method they went with isn't exactly the best it seems, then again so are a few other design choices they went with. It's sad that you have to do that, just to get it to work, but hey, at least it does work! My pins and such was fine on mine, so I'm not sure what it's deal was, like I said before, I think it's just the design and a bad couple batches.

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Hey jraad,
Is the keyboard working now? I've been hesitant to even pursue a replacement based on your experience.

Yes, it's actually working great (then again so did my first one for a couple months), I can lightly toss it up in the air with my hand and no disconnections and chimes from it. it's nice and snug now thankfully and has less seems on it as well, a bit better built than the first batch.

If you do go for a replacement, just don't lose your tracking number, that was my first mistake (then again, the repair center is 15-20 minutes from my house, go figure it would be mine that disappears from the planet) and keep on them, they never wanted to call or check on it unless it was about something I explained 100 times before already or something relating to my 1520's repair (which was also kind of crappy). Nothing started to happen with my keyboard till a higher up called to check up on my tablet not the keyboard and I told them to not worry about it, that I was getting rid of my tablet and was done with them (amazing how it worked!!!) and then a few weeks later after they said they were going to send one I found out it was delayed because they were waiting for keyboard stock cause they somehow thought I had the verizon model...

I say go for it, as long as you keep your shipping info and stay on their butts 24/7 you'll be fine, I hope!

Branden Lucero

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
ugh. now i have an issue. whenever i disconnect the keyboard, none of the physical buttons work on the tablet. i cant raise and lower the volume, cant turn off the display, and i cant even use the home button at the bottom. i can only do a reset by holding the power button and down volume key. but as soon as i plug in the keyboard, those same buttons work on the keyboard instead, even though the ones on the tablet still dont. :eck:

also, plugging in my purity in-ear headphones does the same thing. volume wont adjust on tablet, nor does the ControlTalk respond. :eck:

its like the keyboard just entirely took over and shut down the tablet's buttons.

Last edited:

Branden Lucero

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
yeah, i think something blew inside the tablet. i did a factory reset and the same thing still happens. haha, wow, i barely even had this tablet a day and it already seems to be bad. or that keyboard fried something. i'm about to give up entirely on owning one of these tablets and just send it all back and forget to ever get one. this seriously not even worth the hassle. Nokia makes superb phones, but should just stay away entirely from tablets. or maybe its not even Nokia's fault. maybe Microsoft's decision for creating RT as a tablet option REALLY is this bad.

Branden Lucero

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
i've already sent back one before, because i got the (connected, but not charging) the first time from a different seller, and just told them i wanted a refund. this would already be the 2nd time i'd have to send one back. :eck:

jraad9

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
yeah, i think something blew inside the tablet. i did a factory reset and the same thing still happens. haha, wow, i barely even had this tablet a day and it already seems to be bad. or that keyboard fried something. i'm about to give up entirely on owning one of these tablets and just send it all back and forget to ever get one. this seriously not even worth the hassle. Nokia makes superb phones, but should just stay away entirely from tablets. or maybe its not even Nokia's fault. maybe Microsoft's decision for creating RT as a tablet option REALLY is this bad.

That has been happening to me a bit as well lately (but before I received my replacement keyboard, so it's all tablet for me), my home button becomes completely unresponsive randomly, have to put the device into sleep mode for a few seconds then it snaps out of it.

And yeah, I still think it's nice little tablet that I got pretty cheaply and it's good for those time a 17 MBP is too much, but at this rate, if I could have gone back and gotten either a surface or just have waited, I think I would have.

Branden Lucero

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
i think this tablet itself is amazing. even if i can't use the physical buttons everything else works, and keyboard's layout pre-functions all work as it is. if the tablet falls asleep, pluggin in the keyboard will wake it up and then i can detach it after. my only real gripe about it, is the extremely limited storage it has. the actual theoretical capacity is about 25GB according to the OS says, but even after a full factory reset, i get up to about 17GB. its like, where the f--- did the rest of the space go? and i only get 25GB? that doesnt even make a bit of sense. a normal 32GB microsd card gives you a maximum of 29GB (by subtracting 7%). hell, anything that is 32GB should be theoretically be 29GB, but 25GB? then even with 17GB, i have to install like 4-5GB worth of updates, so that's already down to 12GB, and that's after cleaning up the disk drive. so all together, i arrive with a tablet that has less than half as advertised after fully updated. the fact that you cant move apps to a microsd card, like you can with WP8.1 is just, ugh. -_-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers