Lumia 2520 doesn't restore

alex 7

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have a Lumia 2520 tablet... I want to do a hard reset on it but every time I tried shows me a message says:

''Some files are missing. The Windows installation media or restore can provide this files''

I dont have any USB with somethng like that because the tablet is new.... Note that I have done all updates on it...

What can I do...?

Thanks in advance...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Why do you want to reset a new tablet? What's wrong with it? Did you or someone else mess with the recovery partition in any way?

alex 7

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
No... Anyone... The gave as a gift to a friend who opened it to see about one-two weeks and then to sell it... So when the time to sell it came couldn't do hard reset to erase the data :eek:rly:

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
So in the 1-2 weeks he used it your friend could have easily deleted or otherwise messed with the recovery partition by mistake. See if the tablet's recovery mode can be triggered to reset the unit by following these steps:

1. Power off the unit (holding the power button 10 seconds if necessary).
  2. Momentarily press the power button so the unit boots up. You should notice the green LED light next to the front camera. As soon as you see the Nokia logo, hold down the power button until the unit turns off (approximately 10 seconds). You have now successfully interrupted the boot process.
  3. Repeat the above step once more.
  4. Boot the unit for a third time without interrupting the boot process. You will notice the text 'Preparing Automatic Repair' followed by 'Diagnosing your PC'. You have now successfully triggered the recovery mode.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions.
If this doesn't work either then you have two options:

1. Use a recovery image for the 2520, but I don't know if Nokia/MS have made one available for download.
  2. Use the contents of another 2520 owner's recovery USB, keep your fingers crossed and hope it works on your tablet.

alex 7

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for help...

Onte more last question: I have a friend with a Lumia 2520... Can you tell me how to get a recovery image to a USB and where can I find the product key of my windows (If exists in WinRT like Full Windows)...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Onte more last question: I have a friend with a Lumia 2520... Can you tell me how to get a recovery image to a USB and where can I find the product key of my windows (If exists in WinRT like Full Windows)...

jjmurphy beat me to it. Just follow the instructions on that page. Since it's for the same OS it should work the same way on the 2520 as well. For the key normally it shouldn't matter since it is embedded in the BIOS/UEFI, but if you do want to save it try this batch file.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately no, as I already mentioned above. I think it's best you contact Nokia/MS and ask them to make it available for download.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
You seem to be a bit confused. When I asked you above if you tried booting from and using a recovery drive created on your friend's 2520 and if it then asked you for the installation media, you said yes. Now you're asking for the recovery drive's contents again?

Only need someone who has the tablet to do this procces Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space
and then give it to me... It's not a big deal but I cant find anyone...

Why, what happened to your friend with a Lumia 2520? Also note this will not create installation media, just the recovery drive that I have mentioned repeatedly above.

alex 7

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Oh, sorry the link is wrong... Dow you know how to get the installation media from another Lumia 2520...?

Sorry for missunderstanding...

Recovery drive is this which takes about 200 mbts?? The small one?

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Oh, sorry the link is wrong... Dow you know how to get the installation media from another Lumia 2520...?
You can't or else I'd have pointed you towards the procedure already. You need the Windows RT installation image for the 2520 along with the 2520's drivers integrated. As of now I know of no other source to obtain this other than Nokia/Microsoft.

Recovery drive is this which takes about 200 mbts?? The small one?
I'm not sure about the exact size in case of the 2520, but yeah it's not too big. So, have you tried creating one yet on your friend's 2520 and using it to boot yours? When you create it, be sure to select the Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive option as shown below:

1830.Create_2D00_Recovery_2D00_Drive_5F00_2998CBA6.png

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
You can't or else I'd have pointed you towards the procedure already. You need the Windows RT installation image for the 2520 along with the 2520's drivers integrated. As of now I know of no other source to obtain this other than Nokia/Microsoft.
RajeevT is correct (not that he needs my approval - just want to support his answer :) ). More to the point: I do not recall having ever seen any RT images for download "in the wild" so-to-speak.

alex 7

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok... Thanks everyone... I thought because I found the installation image for the Surface RT on the internet, I could find the one for the Lumia 2520... I sent an email at Nokia UK but I dont believe they will give it to me... But Microsoft gave it to the interent when there was a problem with the Surface RT...

Again thanks everyone for the help and sorry for missunderstanding....

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
More to the point: I do not recall having ever seen any RT images for download "in the wild" so-to-speak.
You mean for the 2520. For the Surface RT an 8.1 recovery image was made available by Microsoft when some people had problems booting after installing 8.1 from the Store.

I sent an email at Nokia UK but I dont believe they will give it to me... But Microsoft gave it to the interent when there was a problem with the Surface RT...
Be forceful and tell them you can't afford to ship the tablet back to them without attempting a recovery yourself first.

alex 7

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You mean for the 2520. For the Surface RT an 8.1 recovery image was made available by Microsoft when some people had problems booting after installing 8.1 from the Store.

Be forceful and tell them you can't afford to ship the tablet back to them without attempting a recovery yourself first.

Yes Microsoft did that with Surface RT... I call Microsoft Greece today and they told me that because is a product of Nokia they cant and they dont have the Windows RT for Lumia 2520...

Hope Nokia will understand and help me... I told them I cant lose my tablet for a such a big time and I will take full responsibility about trying to fix it myself... Fingers crossed for Nokia :p :D :p

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I actually meant what I said. Until this thread, I had never seen or heard of the Surface RT having a recovery image out on the Internet. So I learned something. Oh no! ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos