Is there need for antivirus software on Windows 8 RT?

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Well all I'm sitting here typing this on my laptop while my Nokia Lumia 2520 with the power keyboard sit beside me on my bed installing updates. Call me stupid or a noob or even a stupid noob for asking this, but with Win 8 RT is there any need for antivirus/antispyware software? If so any recommendations on a good software suite for that?
CodeGunnerDev

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Well all I'm sitting here typing this on my laptop while my Nokia Lumia 2520 with the power keyboard sit beside me on my bed installing updates. Call me stupid or a noob or even a stupid noob for asking this, but with Win 8 RT is there any need for antivirus/antispyware software? If so any recommendations on a good software suite for that?
CodeGunnerDev

You're not a noob!! It's a pretty reasonable question actually - but to answer it the short answer is no. The long answer is that Windows RT can only run applications from the Windows Store, of which are usually screened for any malicious coding. Plus, if you plug in a flash drive and it tries to run some malicious .exe file it can't, well, because it's Windows RT and cannot run legacy .exe programs. As a general rule of thumb though, no system is 100% safe so stay safe on the internet!!!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
RT does not need antivirus.
Although it does include Windows Defender just in case, and probably to handle files that could potentially infect others.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon