12-02-2014 10:49 PM
32 12
tools
    A Windows RT 8.1 device will limit your productivity
    That's the silliest blanket statement I've heard in a long while.

(Typing this from IE on my Surface RT while I take a break from editing user documentation in Word 2013 on the same Surface RT. Limits productivity indeed.)
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-30-2014 04:09 PM
    I hear what you're saying.... But Windows on ARM is all encompassing. Meaning that it doesn't matter what they call it in the future. Windows Mobile or whatever.. It's gonna be an evolutionary result of merging WP & RT. The fact remains that it will run on tablets.. ARM based tablets too.. So one can say that as long users using current Win RT devices need not worry.
    We pretty much agree on this. Otherwise I think our only difference is in our level of certainty.

The thing is, Windows RT ships with desktop Office, but that won't run on W10 mobile devices. What will run is the touch-based version of Office, which is currently under development, but it's not yet clear how fully featured that version of Office will be. If the iOS and Android Office apps, or the recently demonstrated Touch-Office preview is anything to go by, it may not be anywhere near as powerful. If that's the case, then I don't think you can offer such a software package as a viable upgrade to Windows RT users, as it would come with a massive downgrade in Office functionality. I hope Touch-Office will be a full port of desktop Office for touch based devices, but until we know that to be true, I'll remain hesitant on the Windows RT update front.
    Stefan Holder likes this.
    11-30-2014 04:32 PM
    I hear what you're saying.... But Windows on ARM is all encompassing. Meaning that it doesn't matter what they call it in the future. Windows Mobile or whatever.. It's gonna be an evolutionary result of merging WP & RT. The fact remains that it will run on tablets.. ARM based tablets too.. So one can say that as long users using current Win RT devices need not worry.
    Windows mobile supports with 8.1.1 up to 8" displays, this has been increased over win 8. I suspect windows 10 mobile will share this pattern and give touch office like rt.

If the windows 10 mobile is equal to full windows possibility of full office touch (in dev at mo could be used)

I would tend to think rt will get firmware treatment like current surface and lumias do for drivers.

I could be wrong but it kind of makes sense!
    11-30-2014 04:53 PM
    From the very first tablet device (Surface RT) Microsoft has stated that they will support the device for a guaranteed 5yrs. Which will make it 2017 for Gen 1 Surface tablets. The Lumia 2520 came out after the original surface, and will be supported by Microsoft for 5yrs. Which means they will all get any OS updates that Microsoft releases during that time. I don't know why folks are stressing out over this.
    Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Tapatalk.
    Its more about getting specific firmware updates for it rather than just getting the new version of windows which isn't optimized for it. The 2520 is the only one using Snapdragon 800 so it needs special care.
    12-02-2014 03:30 PM
    get a surface 2 then. There was a deal for the Srrface 2 being sold refurbished by MSFT for $200. It's as good (or better in some cases) than the 2520.
    12-02-2014 03:43 PM
    Surface 2 with LTE for $200 ?
    12-02-2014 08:54 PM
    Surface 2 with LTE for $200 ?
    Most likely not. I think those refurbished units are 32 GB at that.
    12-02-2014 10:49 PM
32 12