How long before it becomes obsolete

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Here's the official communication from Microsoft. Look down to the end of the article.

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lifewinfaq#Microsoft-Windows-RT

Thanks for the link. Bobvfr already made my point. Being supported means MS will have trained personnel on hand who can provide support for that product. Provided you have a support agreement with MS, you can then call them up and get help.

It also means that any update MS does make, if any, will be made available to you.

In no way, shape or form does the support lifecycle include an implicit promise that MS will actually make updates for that product.

Many consumers misunderstand support to mean "updates". The OP also SEEMS to be using the term "support" in that way, but this is a misunderstanding limited to consumer tech forums. The IT industry never uses the term "support" in that way.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not quite as sure as Bobvfr is, that the 2520 will get an update to W10. I'd not be willing to bet anything on that happening, but I do think it's more likely than not, mainly because the alternative seems bleak from a PR and fragmentation perspective.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
As long as Microsoft remains committed to Windows on ARM, I'll bet a months salary that Windows RT devices will get OS updates when they become available, for the support life cycle of the device..
Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Tapatalk.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
As long as Microsoft remains committed to Windows on ARM, I'll bet a months salary that Windows RT devices will get OS updates when they become available, for the support life cycle of the device.

MS has already confirmed that they have no plans to release any further devices running Windows RT. That is what most people mean when they say "Windows on ARM", but that chapter is over. While it's possible that MS may develop W10 RT regardless, it does seem to make that unlikely.

For future Windows tablets, the next version of WP, likely to be called W10 mobile, will take Windows RT's place. The question is whether that also represents the update path for current Windows RT devices.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
MS has already confirmed that they have no plans to release any further devices running Windows RT. That is what most people mean when they say "Windows on ARM", but that chapter is over. While it's possible that MS may develop W10 RT regardless, it does seem to make that unlikely.

For future Windows tablets, the next version of WP, likely to be called W10 mobile, will take Windows RT's place. The question is whether that also represents the update path for current Windows RT devices.

I hear what you're saying.... But Windows on ARM is all encompassing. Meaning that it doesn't matter what they call it in the future. Windows Mobile or whatever.. It's gonna be an evolutionary result of merging WP & RT. The fact remains that it will run on tablets.. ARM based tablets too.. So one can say that as long users using current Win RT devices need not worry.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A Windows RT 8.1 device will limit your productivity

That's the silliest blanket statement I've heard in a long while.

(Typing this from IE on my Surface RT while I take a break from editing user documentation in Word 2013 on the same Surface RT. Limits productivity indeed.)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I hear what you're saying.... But Windows on ARM is all encompassing. Meaning that it doesn't matter what they call it in the future. Windows Mobile or whatever.. It's gonna be an evolutionary result of merging WP & RT. The fact remains that it will run on tablets.. ARM based tablets too.. So one can say that as long users using current Win RT devices need not worry.

We pretty much agree on this. Otherwise I think our only difference is in our level of certainty.

The thing is, Windows RT ships with desktop Office, but that won't run on W10 mobile devices. What will run is the touch-based version of Office, which is currently under development, but it's not yet clear how fully featured that version of Office will be. If the iOS and Android Office apps, or the recently demonstrated Touch-Office preview is anything to go by, it may not be anywhere near as powerful. If that's the case, then I don't think you can offer such a software package as a viable upgrade to Windows RT users, as it would come with a massive downgrade in Office functionality. I hope Touch-Office will be a full port of desktop Office for touch based devices, but until we know that to be true, I'll remain hesitant on the Windows RT update front.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site

Windows mobile supports with 8.1.1 up to 8" displays, this has been increased over win 8. I suspect windows 10 mobile will share this pattern and give touch office like rt.

If the windows 10 mobile is equal to full windows possibility of full office touch (in dev at mo could be used)

I would tend to think rt will get firmware treatment like current surface and lumias do for drivers.

I could be wrong but it kind of makes sense!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
From the very first tablet device (Surface RT) Microsoft has stated that they will support the device for a guaranteed 5yrs. Which will make it 2017 for Gen 1 Surface tablets. The Lumia 2520 came out after the original surface, and will be supported by Microsoft for 5yrs. Which means they will all get any OS updates that Microsoft releases during that time. I don't know why folks are stressing out over this.
Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Tapatalk.

Its more about getting specific firmware updates for it rather than just getting the new version of windows which isn't optimized for it. The 2520 is the only one using Snapdragon 800 so it needs special care.

qa_ninja

Jan 29, 2014
Visit site
get a surface 2 then. There was a deal for the Srrface 2 being sold refurbished by MSFT for $200. It's as good (or better in some cases) than the 2520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)