12-02-2014 09:49 PM
32 12
tools
    Hello There,
    I like nokia's tablet but I don't want to end up in the same situation has with my Playbook.
    So before spending the cash on it, I would like to know your thought about the lifetime of the 2520.
    Do you think MS will continue to support for a some time (3 or 4 years) ?
    I am using tablets as a replacement for a light computer (web browsing - still lots of site using flash, personal MS Office work) not really into gaming.
    11-05-2014 08:48 AM
    Get an SP3 instead.
    11-05-2014 08:51 AM
    SP3 is twice the price and i can't see how I can justify that for my usage.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-05-2014 08:55 AM
    Honestly, I would go to MS support chat and ask them. They do have a policy on support for that device but don't know exactly what it is.
    11-05-2014 08:57 AM
    Then get a cheap full Windows 8.1 tablet, since you don't do games they should be fine. A Windows RT 8.1 device will limit your productivity, such as not able to run 32/64 bit apps (another browser for example, remember, you need flash).
    11-05-2014 09:09 AM
    we don't have solid numbers, but im willing to wager it'll see Windows 10 and a bit more.

However, if you are reaaallllyyy concerned and want to minimize chance, go for a full Windows tablet, from the expensive Surface Pro 3 to the budget Dell Venue 8 Pro, those can definitely be upgraded since they aren't really the "odd ones out" like the ARM-based RT tablets. (Surface RT, 2, Nokia Lumia 2520, Dell XPS 10...)
    Sakdichote Totiam likes this.
    11-05-2014 10:28 AM
    The LTE connectivity and long battery life will keep it relevant for a while..
    morete908, webkrawler and xandros9 like this.
    11-19-2014 12:56 PM
    If it can do what you need it to do then it won't become obsolete. When it can't do what you need it to do then it will become obsolete. If it can do what you need it to do now, how can the tablet become obsolete in the future? If you want your tablet to do what other tablets can do in the future, you have to ask yourself, "do I really need it", or "do I just want it because my peers have it?"
    Gustavo Sanchez likes this.
    11-19-2014 05:17 PM
    As long as it gets upgraded to Win10, it will not be obsolete at all. The LTE option is priceless.
    11-21-2014 07:44 AM
    Then get a cheap full Windows 8.1 tablet, since you don't do games they should be fine. A Windows RT 8.1 device will limit your productivity, such as not able to run 32/64 bit apps (another browser for example, remember, you need flash).
    You obviously haven't run a Win RT device if you think it can't run flash. You are, however, limited to IE for your browser.
    Last edited by GizmoEV; 11-30-2014 at 02:07 AM. Reason: typo
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-30-2014 02:06 AM
    Windows RT has flash support.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-30-2014 02:16 AM
    Hello There,
    I like nokia's tablet but I don't want to end up in the same situation has with my Playbook.
    So before spending the cash on it, I would like to know your thought about the lifetime of the 2520.
    Do you think MS will continue to support for a some time (3 or 4 years) ?
    I am using tablets as a replacement for a light computer (web browsing - still lots of site using flash, personal MS Office work) not really into gaming.
    Even though this is a windows site but a frank opinion, if u need a tab now go for nexus 7, we dont know what w10 has in store.
    11-30-2014 02:38 AM
    I love ❤ my sp 2. My playbook too sitting here collecting dust.
    sent from my lumia 930
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-30-2014 02:49 AM
    Even though this is a windows site but a frank opinion, if u need a tab now go for nexus 7, we dont know what w10 has in store.
    I thought the Nexus 7 was no longer being produced because Google was focusing on the Nexus phones and Nexus 9?
    11-30-2014 03:05 AM
    Windows 10 is the biggy for the lifetime of the RT devices like to 2520 and the Surface RT and Surface 2.

I got my wife a Surface 2 although it was a close call between it and the 2520 (I missed an offer on the 2520 by a few hours so went for the Surface).

As mentioned the RT devices are a bit different, they are not full blown Windows so can't run full blown Windows programs.

However I have to say they are still very nice tablets for doing tablety stuff like surfing the web, email, accessing OneDrive for pictures, playing music.

Yes you can buy cheap tablets running full blown Windows, and maybe this is a way to go, but going by our experience of the Surface 2 (The 2520 is very similar but I think nicer looking) and for doing basic tablety things they are nice tools for the job.

Another thing to consider is looking around for original Surface Pro's (I have one) or the Surface Pro 2, these are stonking bits of kit and run full windows yet are still tablets, you can pick up some very good deals if you look around, I saw an immaculate Surface Pro in a cash converter window for 100 yet this is i5 processor with 4g, although I admit the battery life is poor compared to the RT devices.

I expect the RT devices to get Windows 10, but no one can promise this yet
    11-30-2014 03:17 AM
    From the very first tablet device (Surface RT) Microsoft has stated that they will support the device for a guaranteed 5yrs. Which will make it 2017 for Gen 1 Surface tablets. The Lumia 2520 came out after the original surface, and will be supported by Microsoft for 5yrs. Which means they will all get any OS updates that Microsoft releases during that time. I don't know why folks are stressing out over this.
    Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Tapatalk.
    11-30-2014 06:38 AM
    The Lumia 2520 came out after the original surface, and will be supported by Microsoft for 5yrs. Which means they will all get any OS updates that Microsoft releases during that time.
    Please provide a source where MS claims that "support" = "will receive OS updates". Those are two different things!

MS offers long support durations for all their products, but being supported has NEVER meant "MS will provide updates". There are many examples for products that went through long support cycles without ever receiving a single update.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-30-2014 06:56 AM
    Please provide a source where MS claims that "support" = "will receive OS updates". Those are two different things!

MS offers long support durations for all their products, but being supported has NEVER meant "MS will provide updates". There are many examples for products that went through long support cycles without ever receiving a single update.

Here's the official communication from Microsoft. Look down to the end of the article.

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lif...oft-Windows-RT
    11-30-2014 07:27 AM
    But that only means support, and this is different to upgrades.

Support means being able to phone up and ask a question, maybe get spare parts.

Upgrades to the OS is vastly different, I admit I do expect RT devices to get a version of 10, but would I stake my life on it, no I wouldn't.
    a5cent and xandros9 like this.
    11-30-2014 08:19 AM
    And to the OP, don't worry about the way this thread is developing, I am sure the RT devices will get 10, it would be embarrassing for MS not to do this, and even if they don't they will still do the job they were designed for, BUT until an official announcement is made by MS to say they will get 10, everything else is guesswork.

MS have said all LUMIA phones will get the upgrade to 10, there were also some early comments that suggested RT's will also get it, but not an official announcement.

If you want one go and buy one, but maybe consider your options and also consider price, but they are still nice tablets.
    a5cent and xandros9 like this.
    11-30-2014 08:35 AM
    Here's the official communication from Microsoft. Look down to the end of the article.

http://support2.microsoft.com/gp/lif...oft-Windows-RT
    Thanks for the link. Bobvfr already made my point. Being supported means MS will have trained personnel on hand who can provide support for that product. Provided you have a support agreement with MS, you can then call them up and get help.

It also means that any update MS does make, if any, will be made available to you.

In no way, shape or form does the support lifecycle include an implicit promise that MS will actually make updates for that product.

Many consumers misunderstand support to mean "updates". The OP also SEEMS to be using the term "support" in that way, but this is a misunderstanding limited to consumer tech forums. The IT industry never uses the term "support" in that way.
    Last edited by a5cent; 11-30-2014 at 11:56 AM.
    11-30-2014 11:38 AM
    I'm not quite as sure as Bobvfr is, that the 2520 will get an update to W10. I'd not be willing to bet anything on that happening, but I do think it's more likely than not, mainly because the alternative seems bleak from a PR and fragmentation perspective.
    11-30-2014 12:10 PM
    As long as Microsoft remains committed to Windows on ARM, I'll bet a months salary that Windows RT devices will get OS updates when they become available, for the support life cycle of the device..
    Sent from my Samsung ATIV S using Tapatalk.
    11-30-2014 02:22 PM
    As long as Microsoft remains committed to Windows on ARM, I'll bet a months salary that Windows RT devices will get OS updates when they become available, for the support life cycle of the device.
    MS has already confirmed that they have no plans to release any further devices running Windows RT. That is what most people mean when they say "Windows on ARM", but that chapter is over. While it's possible that MS may develop W10 RT regardless, it does seem to make that unlikely.

For future Windows tablets, the next version of WP, likely to be called W10 mobile, will take Windows RT's place. The question is whether that also represents the update path for current Windows RT devices.
    11-30-2014 02:53 PM
    MS has already confirmed that they have no plans to release any further devices running Windows RT. That is what most people mean when they say "Windows on ARM", but that chapter is over. While it's possible that MS may develop W10 RT regardless, it does seem to make that unlikely.

For future Windows tablets, the next version of WP, likely to be called W10 mobile, will take Windows RT's place. The question is whether that also represents the update path for current Windows RT devices.

I hear what you're saying.... But Windows on ARM is all encompassing. Meaning that it doesn't matter what they call it in the future. Windows Mobile or whatever.. It's gonna be an evolutionary result of merging WP & RT. The fact remains that it will run on tablets.. ARM based tablets too.. So one can say that as long users using current Win RT devices need not worry.
    a5cent likes this.
    11-30-2014 03:01 PM
32 12